Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Help deciding amongst competition

16K views 48 replies 13 participants last post by  sillywabbit 
#1 ·
First of all I sincerely apologize that I came here several years ago and alienated almost everyone. I was very unhappy with the car but I admit I acted in a very childish manner.I hope we can let that be water under the bridge.

Anyways, I quickly traded the Q50 Hybrid for a BMW M4. It has been fun but as a daily driver it is a pain. Those of you with one must know what I am talking about. It is fast. It is no GTR though. I am very tall and large. I fit "okay" in the q50 but not as good in the M4. Plus the ride is just to harsh and it requires more concentration. I am able to spend much more money putting me in a different market segment entirely. I want a combination of fast, good handling,comfort and it must have AWD. I was stupid to buy RWD in Four feet of snow.

So then I have a few questions. Will the Q50 400RS AWD do 0-60 in 4 seconds or am I dreaming? I am however interested in a larger car with AWD that can do that. I assume the GTR has an even smaller interior. There is mostly Audi but I am concerned about reliability. That new Hyundai(not kidding) G90 looks splendid but 0-60 is 5.1 seconds. There are the Benzes but again concerned about reliability. What about that new Lincoln MZ? I do not need such a fast car but I like it.

I am confused as to what my options are. I am due for a new car. If there is anything anyone can think of that is fast,handles great, is comfortable for a big guy that I have not mentioned I would appreciate any input. Tesla is out due to range. I do not care about MPG. If the 400 RS AWD does in fact do 0-60 in 4 seconds that might just be my ticket. I hear they have worked most of the bugs out but now throwing the belt. A larger fast car with AWD would be nicer but They do not seem to exist. At least extremely reliable ones. For instance the Benze S65 is RWD. I just cannot deal with that in so much snow anymore. The q50 is barely an okay size but I am not sure if I am better off looking at something else. I am also not sure if it is that fast. 4 seconds is where I would like to be plus great handling. I guess the handling is not an issue on the AWD 400 RS but the RWD is squirrely.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please do not just flame me. That was several years ago and I admit I was a jerk and sincerely apologize for that.

Thank you

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The Q50RS AWD is likely a sub 4.5 0-60 car in stock form, but not empirically closer to 4 seconds like the M4 you are looking to come out of. Having had the hybrid, you should know that the RFT robbed that car of some of its performance. From all accounts, the RFT for the Q50RS do the same and you would do yourself well with replacing them with some performance non-RFT. This will likely shave some hundredths off the 0-60 and provide more confidence with spirited drives.

But the RS (RWD; AWD has not been tested yet) is not all about 0-60, it's the 5-60, 0-100, 1/4mi, and 60-0 braking that, in my opinion, sets it apart from the class. These metrics fall short of the M4 (AMG, RS, V; likely closer to the RCF), but ahead of everything in this particular D segment.

If you haven' heard, several dynos suggests that the RS is severely underrated and if those results bear any truth, the car actually has ~375whp/350wlb-ft/tq. There have not been any announced tunes for the car yet, but Fast Intentions have an exhaust system that adds some growl and pushes the power to ~393whp/380wlb-ft/tq...and that's without a tune. So there is more power to extract from the engine to ideally get you closer to 4 seconds.

However, you should try some of the other marques as well to find what's best suited for you:
A/S6
A/S 4 or 5 (especially the A/S 5 Sportback for more room)
BMW 3 or 4 Series
Merc's C-Class
Jaguar XE
Alfa Romeo's Guilia
or possibly holdout to see what the Genesis G70 looks/feels like

This segment is actually pretty crowded and this should bold well for the potential buyer...choices!!! Heck, you can even look at the Camaro SS, Chevy SS, Mustang GT, Charger SRT if luxury is not your top criteria...these cars sure do have the performance chops that you are looking for.

Welcome back!!!

#3 ·
I'd say the only way you are going to get a good amount of comfort under 4 seconds AND have AWD... is to spend $100-130K:

Audi RS7 (or even the S7)
Benz CLS63
BMW M6
Jag XJR (even that is only 4.4, but a BEAUTY)

Sure there are faster cars for half the price, but like your M4, or an S3, or C63... They are go-karts in comparison.
I think that is what I like about my Q50, it's a nice combo of comfort and performance. It may not be quicker than even a 340i, but it's nice knowing that I'm sitting in a smooth, quiet, roomy, sleek, easy to maintain, honey magnet, "whoa dude, sick ride", kind of car... :D

I'm still pretty young, but even I appreciate comfort as much as performance. Hence, the reason I ignored half my friends saying "dude, get the WRX, or Pony GT..."

Like @Q602B said, the Q50RS has got some potential, and I think you are getting a reasonable amount of comfort with it. Wait for a tune to come out, some sticky tires in the summer, and you'll be closer to that 4 second mark.

Reactions: Q60 I²
#4 ·
Thank you guys. I am strongly considering the Q50 RS. That is exactly why I am now completely tired of the M4. TBH, it is like a souped up WRX. If you catch what I mean. Of course the build quality is better but it is like a darn rally car. It is tiny and you feel everything. I think that is exactly their intention but driving to work in this sucks already. I imagine it would be fun as a second car which I cannot do. In that regard $130k is also out Lol. I am afraid Audi is not terribly reliable. I thought the MKZ interior felt cheap where Hyundai's actually was nice! I could wait for the g70 see if they stick in an AWD v8. That would probably be great. I feel they are highly underrated and would not be ashamed in the least. I guess if I buy right now it is between the 340I or the Q50 RS. With a big edge going to the Q50. I see they worked out all the issues with DAS, screen lockups Etc. So it might be ready now. It was honestly a lovely car but unfortunately after a couple of months one thing went wrong after the other. I read this is all fixed. I think the q50 is also bigger than the 340I so that gives it an edge. Mustang is not my cup of tea or I would just get the Shelby Lol. I wanted 0-60 and comfort. If I can easily get it to 393WHP that is good enough.

I will let you guys know what I get. I really appreciate the suggestions.

#5 ·
I realized you are right. 4 seconds + comfort is not easily obtainable. I tried the RS7. Good size car but seats not made for a big guy. Heavily bolstered for obvious reasons. I also realized if the Q50 RS does 4.2-4.3 in AWD guise it is no slouch. It would be faster than the GS-F then. If I can easily bump it bump it up to 393WHP AS I said it is plenty good enough. Stil way less money than something I would really like but cannot afford. Probably even les than I spent on a nearly loaded M4. The M4 is honestly very odd to me. I would think only people that drive to work could afford it. Save for kids who's Father is a Surgeon/Attorney. The thing is like myself I would think the former folks would quickly grow tired of it. I am honestly torn if I would go for all out luxury forgetting the 0-60 and get the G90 or get the Q%0. I imagine the Q%0 at this point is probably better built but Hyundai is really up there now. Plus 5 seconds is not exactly slow. I seriously think it is a much nicer car than the S550 for twice the price loaded. A lot of high end cars are only around 5 seconds quite frankly. It is between those two. Completely different but I need to decide what direction I want to go in. TBH, it is probably going to be the Q50 with the bolt ons. I figure that wil put it very close to the M4 and a lot more comfortable. I can say the hybrid was a different level of comfort than the M4 and the Rs is the same thing. It is big enough. I think I would probably find the Hyundai much too big. Now I just have to try to make a deal on it. These guys are very stern about price at the two dealerships that exist within 20 miles of me. I am in the middle of nowhere.

#6 ·
Well I'll throw my two bits in.. The RS 400 from the dynos I've seen is close to 400hp at the wheels. I drove one yesterday and it doesn't bend time and space the way a Superbike does, LoL but it's damed fast!

Personally if I was looking at say up to 75K MSRP I'd look at the S4.. except the new one isn't out yet :-( The S6 is also amazing but I think it puts you over your ceiling.. I'm not a fan of BMW cars.. the Big ones are nice an M5 would be sweet.. The smaller ones are in some areas are almost generic..

The only real advise I can give is drive the ones you really like.. And keep in mind ALL EUROPEAN cars break..You really do not want to own a MB, BMW, Audi etc once they're out of warranty, (unless you have deep pockets) there's a reason the resale value on euro cars takes a huge drive after 4 years.. Maybe you could find a deal on a really nice CPO Audi RS something .. That would give you a 100K of warranty?

#8 ·
If it is 400WHP stock in AWD no need for an upgrade. That is good enough for me! That is all the M4 really is if that but it is way lighter. You pay a price for that too. Among other things. The thing honestly feels like a go-kart. I cannot afford a M5.. If I can get used to the seats in the RS7 perhaps a CPO is an option. I mean people would take care of that car. Plus as you said 100k mile warranty. I could sell it in Three years and not lose my shirt. Seriously though I think the Q50 is great now with the RS. Of course it is not a superbike Lol. Not even the M5 is a superbike. The Hyundai I would have to lease as they plummet used. Too big anyways. I think the Q50 RS is probably the best thing now. With that, $75k really does not buy you much more unless I do find a CPO RS7. I would absolutely not own that after the warranty. I do not mind the gas station though.

#9 · (Edited)
Is the S6 even faster than the Q50 RS AWd? I don't think it is so great. I actually like the Q50 much more. The RS7 is a different story but that would have to be CPO. Even then I do not know if it is under 78 grand which is my limit. I feel you can actually shop the Q50 RS AWd against a lot of $75k cars. It is a very nice car IMO. The S4 is too small but maybe faster than the S6? The C63 is not my cup of tea either. It would be the M4 all over again I think. If this thing is really 400WHp I think I pretty much made my decision. Of course I have yet to have driven it. The Hybrid was not by any means slow and the RS should be a good deal faster. I imagine the boost puts you right back in the seat. I honestly loved the car until it broke left and right but I hear that is all fixed now so I am thinking this is the ticket.

Okay so now I have a question. I would be buying in Illinois so have to finance the tax. If I Get the best deal I can on a completely loaded one(which is what?) Zero down, just first payment and security. 12k miles a year. What kind of lease payment should I expect. Is now a good time or wait? I am obviously paying much less than the M4 was and my wallet will thank me for that. I own the M4 but I do not want to put any money down on a lease. I am sure it is pretty reasonable anyways. Thanks guys.

Edit: Still need lease numbers please. However the Audi S6 should be slightly slower than the Q50 RS AWD. That with a 450BHP Turbo V8. As I said the Q50 RS is changing the game. I actually think it is a nicer car loaded at less than $60k to the loaded S6 at $90k. A few features are available I will not miss. I hate the Dash mounted Navi in the Audi's. Looks like an aftermarket headunit. The Q50 with dual screens flush mounted is simply much nicer IMO. I think overall you get more technology with the Q50 even if it lacks some of the Aforementioned options I mentioned. I wish it had cooled seats but honestly that is of little use in most vehicles. Except Lexus which actually has refrigeration. I am pretty much sold on this. Just need to know what kind of deal I can expect. Without knowing, of course they have the upper hand and will take the liberty to make as much as they can. Thank you guy's

#14 · (Edited)
Honestly it is always getting looks and compliments. Other than that 10% of the time it is fun to drive. 90% of the time this thing is a literal pain in the butt. For $75k you can either get a fast 4 door or a luxury 4 door put apparently not both. As stated even with the tighter seats the RS7 would be to my liking but all we can do is dream, right? probably the only reason they even let me drive it is I pulled up in a late model M4. It is an incredible car if you are a big baller. The M4 is not so incredible unless you are under 20 or just don't mind being punished. I would like to go with the Q50 RS AWD loaded if someone could please tell me what to expect for money with the information I provided on the first page. Thank you

I edited this. Of course the RS7 is what I really want. It does have 4 doors. Big plus for me too. It is super duper. I can try to find a CPO. I could actually buy a new one but it will put me in a bad spot. I imagine that payment plus all my other bills I am going to be nearly maxed out. That is something a college kid would do not a grown man. I mean I do not think that is not a good idea just to love your car. So I will have to find a CPO.Would you guy's agree that the Audi RS7 is in a different class than a Q50? I mean I do not want to go spending 80 grand for a used car that is nearly the same thing. I tried it and it gets up and takes off like a plane. Plus I can actually put people in the back seats. I really don't know what to do. Get the Q50 and save my money or get a used RS7 for a lot more money. The M5 is out either way because I am tired of RWD. I am good enough to drive it in the snow but it is a huge pain. The X5 is nice but I do not think that handles.

#15 ·
The RS7 is not in a different class but a different galaxy than a Q50 any version. Just look at the interior, the diamond tucked high end leather etc. from a performance comparison....it rubs shoulders with the likes of most 2 door super coupes...and extremely easy to launch. An S7 is awesome....an RS7 is outrageous. I'm surprised that one is already available for 75K....now the other side
It is truly the ultimate sleeper. No one gives it a second look or a rev at the stop light....but like ya said.....if you want to act like a grown man, not a kid then that's not a consideration. Good luck with your selection

#16 ·
Actually, It is $89K. A lot better than $160K though. It has 9,000 miles. Clean. Blue. I think I know what I will be trading for Monday :) Honestly I do not street race but that is a beautiful car. I can only Imagine what the R8 V10 Plus does LOl. The Q50 is also a very nice car but not the same thing. Thank you guy's for helping me make up my mind.

#17 ·
German cars are status symbols for the most part. The build quality in terms of materials tends to be better but I just can't come to grips with the price differences. The S4 is going to cost alot more than a RS and Audi leases are very expensive. So if you're considering that you're going to end up paying close to $1000 per month to lease a new S4.

#18 ·
No I was looking at leasing a CPO RS7. Forget it. It is $2,300 a month Lol. I do not need to go that fast. I hear it is 2.8S 0-60. Plus I don't even really like the interior. I imagine a loaded Q50 RS lease for 39 months is under $600? That is a huge difference. I also do not want to be in the shop all the time. As far as nice interior quite frankly I think the top line MKZ or even the G90 is nicer than the RS7. You cannot compare the RS7 it is nearly a super car. $2,300 a month for a used car is not even a consideration of mine. $1,000 for the S4 is not either. As I imagine the Q50 RS is faster anyways. It is not slow. Should beat a RCF. It is stupid because I do not race anyways. Before when I was here I was being a jerk and outright lying. I apologized for that. So for reasonably priced cars I do not know If I would get the Q50 RS,G90, or MKZ. What do you guys think between those? The M4 payment is too high want to get out of it. Plus it is really not a car you want to drive 1-1/2 hours in bumper to bumper traffic everyday. The car is tiny and not comfortable. Plus you have to be careful the Pedal is very touchy and the steering is very quick. I honestly loved the Q50 even though I was being a sore thumb here until it self destructed. I know that happened to a few of them but I have read DAS, the displays,brakes and everything is fixed now. I guess I just have to drive each of those three a few times and see which I like best. I seriously do not need 4 seconds except for bragging rights and certainly not 2.8. I hardly ever go fast in the car or above 70MPH. Honestly a 5 second car is fine for me other than I cannot brag to people. I am done with that though. I think you can all see I am being much more polite. There is really no reason to be "That guy" in life and I have come to realize it. For that matter I doubt I will ever race anyone period. I just have to decide which $600 a month car I like. The m4 would be worth the $1,200 a month if it was a completely different kind of car. IMO all it really is, is a high end STI. That is just my opinion. I would rather have the nice roomy interior if I had to choose over speed. In that regard the MKZ and G90 have it covered. They would not be considered slow either I don't think. I mean in the 80's 5 seconds was a super car. I am just forgetting about speed and looking at other aspects of the car now. Any other recommendations? Sorry for such a long post too.

#19 ·
I have a quick reference to interior space attached.

6'4" and titanium rods in my spine, I definitely purchase cars based on comfort first. So I sympathize.

This document use to have alot more cars in the columns but I was narrowing them down, until I ultimately purchased the Red Sport two months ago.

Attachments

#20 ·
I personally think Lincolns are Hideous I wouldn't even Consider the MKZ. The G90 is much larger but it looks good. The G90 is more in line with the Q70 than a Q50. If you're going to pay 70K and want something larger but quick have you looked at a used GS-F?

#21 ·
I am 6'5" weigh 320#. I fit in the q50 fine actually. I am just concerding the MKZ because the interior is very nice and the G90 is like a darn Bently. If the Genesis was bigger the G90 is way bigger. Did you get RWD? I think the AWD is probably like 4.2-4.3 seconds. Since I am never going to race anything that is plenty fast enough. The Q50 RS is the fastest in this class but I wonder if the MKZ or G90 is more luxury. TBH the MKZ is just a Fusion in fancy dress. The G90 might be a different story. It is in a different class. It is a large Full Size VS. barely midsize in the Q50 and Midsize in the MKZ. I am leaning toward the Q50 though. It is plenty comfortable, enough luxury and much faster than the others. I am kind of guessing it would take my M4 at higher speeds too. The RS7 is a completely different class of car but I cannot pay $2,300 a month for a used car. That is absurd to me. People even tune that car. I don't understand that but They just have a different agenda than getting to work. I think the q50 is very nice. This will be hard. I am guessing any of the three I have mentioned are around $600 a month, certainly under $700. On a zero down 39 month lease with 12k miles. I could spend more but you really have to step up to get any better than these three. The M5 or RS7 new are too much and the M% is RWD which I am tired of. Tehy are terrible in a lot of snow. I am good enough not to get stuck but it can be iffy. I am pretty sure the M4 is a smaller car than the q50. There is also the Q60 Rs now which really looks like a sweet car. The funny thing is it looks much more aggressive than the RS7 which will bury it. Also of note is the Tesla is not necessarily 4.7 it could be almost 2 with ludicrous acceleration lol. I guess there is even the GTR Nismo depending on what the numbers are. It is AWD and outrageously fast. At least it is still in the Nissan family.I do not know if i would fit in it. I am kind of betting I will get the Q60. Unless it is heavier than the Q50 again. The bigger door on a Coupe makes it easier for me but harder for passengers. That is why I did not get the M3 instead. That car seems very small with the M4 just a little bigger. It is amazing though that the Infiniti is nearly as fast and as I said may take mine at higher speeds even.

#22 ·
I don't really need it. i just thought the Hyundai because i mean it has massaging seats Lol. The q50-Q60 is big enough. I doubt the numbers work on a GTR Nismo and i bet it is to small. The thing is it is AWD too. Honestly I am thinking the Q60. The GS-f is not even as big as the Hyundai AFAIk. That thing is huge. I don't need a car that big though.

#23 · (Edited)
Just one more reason to buy it. It is in the ball park of the M5 which is actually more the type of car it is. Not that crazy Go-Kart M3-M4.
The Audi RS7 has insane acceleration that I certainly do not require. Just wish for better breaks and HUD. The 0-60 is just as I figured and it is a smaller Mid-size car not a Subcompact. I am sure it is not too hard to get this to 4 seconds. Like a full exhaust. Certainly not trying to be a jerk again. Of course the M5 is a nicer car but wait to see the look on the guy's face. The Hybrid beat an M2. All I am saying is this is plenty good enough. I really like this car had it not fallen apart. All that shall be fixed now so good to go. I tried but I cannot find anything better for less than $75,000.

Attachments

#24 ·
#25 ·
I appreciate you looked. The Caddy is not AWD. Plus, seriously you can buy a new one for that! GM haggles like crazy. In fact I hate their games. If you bought that car for $30k they still made money Lol. Okay, you know I love the RS7. Not just the acceleration either. It is one fine car IMO. Unfortunately I cannot afford one so that is that. As I said though the Q50 RS AWD is the only game anywhere near it's price. It is a very nice car. That Caddy especially you cannot drive in a lot of snow. The M4, barely if you are skilled. Also Reprogram means they set the mileage back I am pretty sure. I saw a young guy parked next to me today in a R8 V10 plus. I bet he did something with the internet because he was too young to be a Doctor.

#28 ·
I do not really like the looks of the RS7 just to talk myself out of it because it would break me financially. Slave to your car payment sucks. I like the S6 better but bet the Q50 RS AWD is faster and cooler. As I said I bet I can get this loaded less than $600 a month 39 month lease zero down 12K miles/year. I have not tried yet I actually like the Q60 better but it is 50 pounds heavier. Seeing as I weigh 320+ I highly doubt it matters. Bigger door is more comfortable, why I got the M4 instead of M3. Bad for passengers but I usually only have a front seat passenger. My kids are adults now. I really think the Q50/60 RS AWD is all there is under 80 grand. They really knocked it out of the park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.