User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
#1 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute
Default FINALLY: Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium review (kinda)

I finally did it! I went out late this afternoon to test drive my first 2014 Infiniti Q50...Well, I guess.

This won't be a proper review-review because I didn't get the chance to drive the car that I actually wanted to test, but this is more of a, "short take" review or more like a preview of a real test drive, if you will.

Here's the thread from in July where I wrote a review on my first sit inside the Q50

The Q50 I tested:
-Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium RWD (31 MPG on sticker)
-Venetian Ruby Red
-Wheat interior w/ Kaachu Aluminum
-Navigation Package

MSRP $46,255

So, the story was that I originally wanted to test a Moonlight White Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport fully loaded. I went out to the lot with a sales guy and I noticed that the car I wanted wasn't there and so they had me come inside while they went skittering around to find out where that specific car was. In the meantime, I sat inside a loaded Infiniti Q50s Black on Stone demo with the bright 19" alloy wheels which looked quite sharp and so I took some photos (oddly, I have no photos of the car that I actually drove today).

(I'm totally sold on the stone w/ wood trim interior, btw)

Apparently, the car that I wanted...well, the owner took it home with him (or something like that) and it was gone for the day but they said that it will be back tomorrow. What they did have was the Venetian Ruby Hybrid with the above specs. Since I didn't come all that way for nothing, I figured I'd go ahead and give it a shot.

I'll just jump RIGHT to the chase here because not only do I have no photos of the car, but this was not the car I wanted to test drive. I did however manage to spend about 15 minutes behind the wheel with a brand-spanking new salesman (Fun fact: Not only had he never driven inside the Q50 before but I was his first customer of the day and it was an hour before closing time) who had very little to offer me in way of telling me the ins and outs of the car.

Summary

Looks: 8/10 (Like I've already mentioned, the exterior of the Infiniti is a nice balance of poised elegance. It's not overly aggressive and stylish nor is it understated or too austere. It won't turn every head but it's likely to grab most people's attention. In this case, the non-Sport Hybrid loses a couple points and panache due to the smaller 17" wheels and a lack of presence that I think the Sport model provides to the exterior. The interior on the other hand, while not having the Sport seats or wood trim, is still highly detailed and premium focused without being gaudy. It's no doubt where a lot of the money went to in the design and refinement of the car. The interior is where the Q50H shined this time.)

Performance: 7.5/10 (I wasn't overly impressed by the power of the car that is, UNTIL I got back into my G37 and immediately noticed how quick the Q50 Hybrid actually was. It's definitely a rocket. I will say this--I really dig the Drive mode selector too--I spent some time usually between Personal, Normal, and Sport modes and I definitely felt the differences in the steering effort and the responsiveness of the engine/transmission, which I thought were great. However, I did feel that the steering and control of the car in general felt...odd. Not great, not bad, but...odd, just a little different. It's hard to describe but I'll spend more time on the steering and handling of the car tomorrow when I get more space to roam. When it came to getting up to speed, braking, and shifting, it did very well. Unfortunately the whole package didn't quite blow me away to be honest which was a little disappointing.)

Personal Practicality and Appeal: 8.25/10 (It's one of the largest compact sedans in its segment so you won't ever feel like you're claustrophobic nor will you feel like you're driving a bus either. For me, coming from a comparably sized G37 with 21mpg moving to a Q50 with 31mpg with similar dimension, it greatly reduces the amount of acclimation or learning curve I'd ever have in moving to the Q50 Hybrid. The only downside I feel is that getting a Q50 now versus in a year or two is still a bit of a worry given the problems that are steadily arising at the point. However, until that time, it's going to be a while before you see a Q50 on every corner. The only other reason why I can't give it higher marks is because I've yet to see a Q50 that can match the exclusivity, uniqueness, and the appeal that I still receive from my Limited Edition sedan. Get on those red seats, Infiniti!)

Options/Tech: 8.5/10 (Infiniti actually gets a great bucket of win here. I spent a good amount of time messing around with both the navigation menu but as well as the instrument cluster menus, the apps, the settings, and all of the physical buttons. The touch screen response was good and any lag time was undetectable or was just as quick or quicker than what I see in my G37 screen. I paired up my Windows phone quickly and easily and the BTA playback was flawless. I was even able to set and find a navigation destination with good ease. While we were driving around I even got a quick text while I was on the road and was able to test the voice-recognition response as well. Everything worked great. I love the redundant nav screen in the instrument cluster and the little animated car/gas tank indicator thingy. I like the sharpness of the nav screen and both screens in general, but I did notice that fuzziness in the rear view camera people were telling me about. Again, the biggest and only disappointment for me was the Bose audio and for me, that's important. It barely sounded much better than what's in my G37 and it's nowhere near the quality of the ML system in the Lexus or the B&O system in the A4/A5. Infiniti needs some kind of upgraded audio system if they want to stay competitive with audiophiles like me. Other than that, I did find that where the Q50 shined the most in the category was in the ease of control)

Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium with Navigation Package

Overall: 8/10
(I gave the Cadillac ATS a 7.6/10, Lexus IS350 F-Sport a 8.1/10, Lexus GS350 F-Sport a 7.8/10, Audi A5 Premium Plus a 8.3/10, and the BMW 335i M Sport a 8.6/10)

Bottom Line: Overall, what ultimately became the highlight of this car was the straight line acceleration, the interior fit and finish, the technology, and the practicality of its dimensions and fuel economy. On the whole, I think the car still has a way to go in the handling and body control department. I definitely felt the change in feel that the DAS provides and I don't know how I feel about it right now. I'll try to get the car out in the open a bit more to test the different Drive Mode and steering options. Not to mention, while I have the loaded Hybrid tomorrow I'll have a chance to mess with the additional safety options (AFS, BSW, LDP, LDW, BSI, etc.) and see how they shape up!
cvipgo likes this.

2014 Infiniti Q50S Venetian Ruby
RWD / Graphite Interior
Navigation / Deluxe Touring

Appearance Package, Splash Guards, Welcome Lighting, Ambient Lighting, Cargo & Spare Tire, Illuminated Kick Plates
Photo Gallery

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 11-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Dstew is on a distinguished road

Nice write up. I'm thinkin (praying) it all comes together for infiniti by next year!
I have to agree with you on the sound system. I've never been a fan of Bose, way too much dependence on the low end (muddy ).
#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MattJB is on a distinguished road

SimpsonTide, I enjoyed your review. From your ranking system it looks like the 335 is your current overall rating leader. It may be the local 335 drivers, or it may be the "hybrid" badge on the side of the Q50S hybrid lulling them into a false sense of security, but for whatever reason the Q blows their doors off at stop lights, on the highway, wherever. As for the sound system, Dstew's observation of so-called muddy bass is true. As Mr. Klipsch was fond of saying, "Garbage in, garbage out." As with most sound reproduction systems, a better signal source yields better tonal quality, and less muddy bass in this case. Best of luck to you, SimpsonTide, as you thoughtfully narrow your choices. I'll be reading.

-Q50S AWD hybrid, Nav/Tech, Black, Pinnacle ceramic tint, VentureShield bra, delivered 8/9/13, still awaiting promised Pandora App.
-BMW K1200LT (2 wheels)
-Infiniti QX60 hybrid (hers, loaded)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJB View Post
SimpsonTide, I enjoyed your review. From your ranking system it looks like the 335 is your current overall rating leader. It may be the local 335 drivers, or it may be the "hybrid" badge on the side of the Q50S hybrid lulling them into a false sense of security, but for whatever reason the Q blows their doors off at stop lights, on the highway, wherever. As for the sound system, Dstew's observation of so-called muddy bass is true. As Mr. Klipsch was fond of saying, "Garbage in, garbage out." As with most sound reproduction systems, a better signal source yields better tonal quality, and less muddy bass in this case. Best of luck to you, SimpsonTide, as you thoughtfully narrow your choices. I'll be reading.
I think when it comes to power, the 335i is just a HAIR faster than the Q50 Hybrid in my opinion. The steering and control (suspension) was just a tad bit tighter as well.

The 335i still has the edge IMO because it has the best combination of technology, practicality, and performance, despite being the second most expensive car I've test driven in the past year. I will say this, the A5 and the Q50 has the much better interior/exterior compared to the BMW.

RWD / Graphite Interior

Appearance Package, Splash Guards, Welcome Lighting, Ambient Lighting, Cargo & Spare Tire, Illuminated Kick Plates
Photo Gallery

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 11-05-2013 at 09:22 AM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gandhi is on a distinguished road

The Q50 is classified as mid-size, not compact.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The Q50 is classified as mid-size, not compact.
Awww, since when?

If that's a midsize, it's one of the smaller midsize sedans on the market. If that's also the case, I still prefer to look at it as a large compact.

RWD / Graphite Interior

Photo Gallery

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 11-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
InfinitiPlusOne is on a distinguished road

Very nice short review.
As for the performance, it does take time to get use to the Q50 hybrid. It's main benefactor is the hybrid battery. It can charge and discharge fairly quickly. That's why something you felt the car is not as fast and other time it's really fast. Once you spend enough time and understand how to harness the power of both the battery and gas engine, it's one tough car to beat when it come to speed.
DAS like you say is odd which is true. It's definitely take time to get use to. My favorite setting is Standard/Quick for aggressive/spirited driving. Heavy/Quick felt too artificial. Standard/Standard is good for normal driving.
As for the Bose audio, was it on default setting? The default setting doesn't sound good to me. My favorite setting is to turn off "Bose Centerpointe" and turn on "Driver Stage" on the audio setting. Put your favorite sound quality CD in there and crank up the volume to at least 90%. It should sound much better than the G37.
SimpsonTide985 and Sinecure like this.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiPlusOne View Post
Very nice short review.
As for the performance, it does take time to get use to the Q50 hybrid. It's main benefactor is the hybrid battery. It can charge and discharge fairly quickly. That's why something you felt the car is not as fast and other time it's really fast. Once you spend enough time and understand how to harness the power of both the battery and gas engine, it's one tough car to beat when it come to speed.
DAS like you say is odd which is true. It's definitely take time to get use to. My favorite setting is Standard/Quick for aggressive/spirited driving. Heavy/Quick felt too artificial. Standard/Standard is good for normal driving.
As for the Bose audio, was it on default setting? The default setting doesn't sound good to me. My favorite setting is to turn off "Bose Centerpointe" and turn on "Driver Stage" on the audio setting. Put your favorite sound quality CD in there and crank up the volume to at least 90%. It should sound much better than the G37.
Yeah, I originally had it on the regular Normal or Sport drive mode but then when I got into the Drive Settings, I set them to Standard/Quick (with drive mode set to Personal) and I definitely liked that mode.

You know, I did notice that the Bose Centerpointe AND the Driver Stage settings were both on. Bass and Treble were maxed out.

I'll try and mess around with it again.

RWD / Graphite Interior

Photo Gallery
#9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
InfinitiPlusOne is on a distinguished road

I would leave Bass and Treble at the middle (default) and turn off Centerpointe surround and leave driver stage turn on. Centerpointe surround seem to add distortion to the sound especially the bass. As an car audiophile myself, I like the sound upfront and no coloration to it. The Q50 Bose does it quite well for a stock system. The sound overall should be good, but the low end bass certainly need improvement. It's definitely need a real subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985 View Post
You know, I did notice that the Bose Centerpointe AND the Driver Stage settings were both on. Bass and Treble were maxed out.

I'll try and mess around with it again.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiPlusOne View Post
I would leave Bass and Treble at the middle (default) and turn off Centerpointe surround and leave driver stage turn on. Centerpointe surround seem to add distortion to the sound especially the bass. As an car audiophile myself, I like the sound upfront and no coloration to it. The Q50 Bose does it quite well for a stock system. The sound overall should be good, but the low end bass certainly need improvement. It's definitely need a real subwoofer.
Hey, have you ever tried the Harman Kardon system in the BMW, the Levinson Lexus system, and/or the Bang&Olufsen Audi system by any chance?

Even without adjusting any settings at all, those three systems gave me a better lasting impression than the Bose did in the Q50. I'm sure if Infiniti gave buyers as option to upgrade their audio for an extra $800-$1000, a lot of people would go for it.

RWD / Graphite Interior

Photo Gallery

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 11-05-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2014 Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.