LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
ifarlow is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default 2018 Q50 ProPILOT Infographic

In case anyone hasn't seen this infographic yet, it looks like the ProPILOT system on the 2018 Q50 won't have anything new other than the name. Also, it looks like there will be another vehicle in the Infiniti lineup that gets more ProPILOT features, which seems odd to me since I thought the Q50 was the technology-leading platform. Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised since a Nissan Serena minivan gets better ProPILOT features than the Infiniti Q50. The Audi A4 Prestige is really tugging at my wallet as a result.

The Q50 update goes on sale this year for the 2018 model year. Its ProPilot system will bundle the car’s existing autonomous functions, including active lane keeping, backup collision prevention, intelligent cruise control, forward emergency braking, lane departure prevention and blind spot intervention.

ProPilot made its global debut last year in the Japan-market Nissan Serena family van and is part of a ramp up to fully autonomous driving by 2020.

The Serena ProPilot system differs by enabling automatic stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic and automated steering in low-speed driving.

Infiniti’s ProPilot system will adopt those more advanced functions in 2018, in a nameplate other than the Q50, Krueger said. Infiniti’s vision for self-driving cars is improved safety with still-engaged drivers.

“It’s more copilot,” he said. “We don’t take the driver out of the equation.”

Source: Infiniti Photos INFINITI Online Newsroom
Source: Infiniti Q50 Geneva auto show autonomous features and refreshed styling
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProPILOT_Technologies_Infographic.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	59546  

Ian
2015 Q50 Premium w/Tech (Nannies to the Rescue)

Last edited by ifarlow; 06-18-2017 at 06:00 AM.
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Über Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
jazzmang is on a distinguished road

Typical Nissan mentality. I'm so over it.

2014 Q50S w/ Tech [Liquid Platinum]
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
q50adix is on a distinguished road

I believe Serena is not available here in the US, hence the so-called 'better' features are only employed in countries where average speed is lower than the US. They can't just offer that to cities like NYC where that feature would be very much appreciated and ban it from the rest of the country where there are open roads/freeways. My take is, those newer/better features aren't ready yet for prime time. Let's just wait til 2020 if nissan could actually deliver. The car industry is heading that route anyway...only question is when. 2020 would only be preliminary and add 5-10 years for them to iron out some wrinkles and make it close to perfect.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage

This has nothing to do with average speeds, and frankly, your argument for not having the features doesn't make any sense. Audi offers more advanced semi-autonomous features now. There is no reason Infiniti can't up their game in the Q50 except that they don't want to. Besides, Infiniti has said that another model will be getting better semi-autonomous features in 2018.

Ian
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Ruxor is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmang View Post
Typical Nissan mentality. I'm so over it.
If there is no real change in the Q50 for 2018, other than renaming the system to "pro-pilot", I too will be passing.

I want a luxury sports sedan. I want heated and cooled seats, an AWD system that I can put an All Season tire on and be SAFE in the winter. I want great power when I need it, minimum noise, and comfort. I want a great ride and a full featured cabin. I have a long drive to work and need a stop and go driving assistant that keeps me safe. As it stands now, the Infiniti version of drive assistant sucks for stop and go traffic.

Every car that fits this definition has a system that is equal to or surpasses the Infiniti.

The 540i xDrive can do more and is about 67k. The 2018 Q50S loaded will most likely top out at only a few thousand less.

So tell me, why in the world would I buy a 2018 Q50S? I would be better off finding a 2017 Q50S, or changing brands altogether and admitting defeat

Honestly, if this is all true, Nissan has really dropped the ball.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
q50adix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifarlow View Post
This has nothing to do with average speeds, and frankly, your argument for not having the features doesn't make any sense. Audi offers more advanced semi-autonomous features now. There is no reason Infiniti can't up their game in the Q50 except that they don't want to. Besides, Infiniti has said that another model will be getting better semi-autonomous features in 2018.
I agree with you but i believe you said you find it a little odd for infiniti NOT to put these new features on Q50. Nissan doesn't make any sense either right? There's no reason for them not to up their game for Q50 - totally agree. But why would they not include those in Q50 still? I was just speculating that this features aren't ready yet for their sport sedan. Either technically restricted or something else is at play, probably serena is a choice of people with limited capability to drive. Who knows Again, that's just my 2nd speculation.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage

I'm not so sure that the Serena is geared towards people who can't drive well. For whatever reason, Nissan has decided that the minivan is the best platform to advance their ProPILOT tech. Odd, for sure, but perhaps it is one of the leading sellers for the brand. I have no idea. In any case, I don't think ProPILOT and the offerings from Audi, Lexus, etc. are for helping bad drivers be better (or for good drivers to be lazy) as much as they are for assisting all drivers with monotony and for offering increased safety.

For example, I consider myself a good and capable driver because I was regularly trained in both defensive and offensive driving techniques for my job. Even with that, I can only react so quickly and only do so much when an idiot turns left right in front of me as I am traveling 50 miles per hour. Luckily, I learned that particular day just how quickly and effectively the Q50 was able to apply emergency braking which clearly aided in avoiding a catastrophic collision. I was sold and will never have anything less, which is why I am disappointed that Infiniti doesn't seem eager to push their safety tech further in the Q50 even though it's available and apparently coming to another model in the lineup next year.

The thing is that I am looking at all of this in context. This is only one of several issues I am having with the near future of the vehicle. No folding mirrors, no panoramic roof, no ventilated seats, no Apple CarPlay or Android Auto plus the out of control vibrating passenger seat that may or may not be rectified and the noisy run-flats as standard... individually these misses don't really mean all that much, but taken in aggregate and coupled with the lack of advancement in the safety tech, I'm really disappointed.

Ian

Last edited by ifarlow; 06-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 AM
Über Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Q602B is on a distinguished road

People are asking a lot from a car that is approaching 5 years into its likely 7 year life cycle.

The car has already had a major mid-cycle engine change (emphasis on the word "major", for a mid-cycle refresh). It will also introduce a post mid-cycle exterior/interior refresh for MY18.

Every since the car was introduced in 2013, there has not been a year that some updates were made (minor or major).

Surely, we can't expect Infiniti to do a full-cycle change for the car with 2 years left...what will be left for the all new MY20 Infiniti Q50 (which is likely to introduce a new tranny, among other changes).

I understand the disappointment from the full Pro-Pilot not being introduced MY18 Q50, but the full system is likely best served with the introduction of the all-new MY18 QX50. A new system for a brand new platform.

The next gen Q50 will have the full system; the tech has been in testing since last year:

2016 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design| Passion Red | B&W PSS| Climate Pkg| Convenience Pkg| Vision Pkg| 4-Corner AS| 22" Diamond Cut Wheels| Integrated Booster Seat - Wife's Car

Last edited by Q602B; 06-20-2017 at 08:04 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage

I hear what you are saying, but having the tech effectively sit idle for several more years seems like a very bad idea considering that the competition isn't sitting still. Heck, as I've said before, even Infiniti isn't sitting still with a different model. From my perspective, Infiniti seems to have a preference for letting vehicles languish (such as the Q70's interior and tech offerings), and it looks like the Q50 is going to be no different.

Again, I have been researching the Audi A4 Prestige and it is offering some amazing tech today... the fully digital instrument cluster, the traffic jam assist, plus the tech that we have in the Q50 now, plus other nice features such as ventilated seats, folding mirrors, etc. It seems to me that there is plenty of growth opportunity for Infiniti to offer a full refresh on the Q50 in a few years while still offering upgraded tech in the 2018 Q50.

I am looking for the next vehicle, and if I can contain myself it will be the last vehicle for a long, long time. Therefore, I'm trying to lock in as much tech bang for the buck in a vehicle that I am interested in. I would love to stick with Infiniti but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that the 2018 Q50 will work for me. I would have no problem moving into the Q70, but I can't find anything about the 2018 model and if history is any indication, it will still have the outdated interior with the embarrassingly bad instrument cluster screen and limited tech. I've had a Mercedes and don't really want to go back to that option. I've looked at Volvo, BMW, Alfa, etc. and the only other brand that checks off the boxes is Audi. Unfortunately, it looks like Audi is notorious for extremely limited availability on their top-level trims, so there's that.

Joy.
Q602B likes this.

Ian
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
jkay is on a distinguished road

Interesting post. I looked at the Audi and read some message board reviews of the system and the vast majority of people didn't really love the system after using it for a while. I was really torn between Infiniti, Audi and Mercedes but when I did some research on the other safety tech none of them seemed to be as useable and intuitive as Infiniti. One thing that I really like about my Q is the distance control assist. That has saved my bacon quite a few times and it's worth every penny for the upgrade. Most of the other systems don't seem to intervene unless the cruise is set. I really prefer the passive approach of the DCA in my Infiniti and that's why I went with the Q50 again. Looking at the radio or grabbing something off of the passenger seat - the DCA intervenes to avoid a rear end collision. Probably would not have had accidents but there is a definite benefit.

Plus, the cost of adding those systems to the other cars really jacked up the price and the leases were unbelievably more expensive. I guess Audi and Merc don't feel that many people want those options so they rarely stock them, which means you don't get a deal for taking dealer stock and ordering creates risk for losing pricing incentives.

Is the Q perfect? No. But the value for what you get in terms of performance and safety is hard to beat. They do have to be careful they don't change that value proposition though. If the leases creep into the other manufacturer's range, it would be a much more difficult decision.

Relax. . . It's just a car

06 M
08 G35x
10 G37xS
2014 Q50sAWD Graphite/Graphite: Nav, Touring, Tech and what the heck, throw in a spare tire
2016 Q50 RS400 with all option packages + illuminated kick plates and rear decklid spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.