Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

hows your experience with Stillen intake?

100K views 437 replies 41 participants last post by  Team_STILLEN 
#1 ·
this is for whoever has a 2016+ red sport q50 with the stillen intakes

whats your impression?

pros?

cons?

notice difference in power?

how much power do you gain?

#2 ·
I dont have it yet, waiting for other companies to offer their model to see which is best. The one thing you will notice for sure is the wastegate sound when it releases pressure. Its probably the only reason I will be buying it - it sounds godly.

#4 ·
The intake will only provide an audible upgrade as our VR motor sounds soo sad. I ended purchasing the Stillen intakes, they are shipping tomorrow so I'll get them in about a week. I didn't know Optimus made an intake.

#28 ·
My RS is not my daily driver, I'll try to get a vid entering the freeway. Plus I only have 800 miles on it, I won't be pushing it too hard yet. Although, you could still hear the "shhhhhhhhhhh pshhhhh" from 3000 rpm. I think the stillen intakes complement the Infiniti sport mufflers keeping the slight sleeper car profile of the RS400.

#90 ·
I thought the same, but it was Infiniti who'd recommended my CAI and CBE upgrades, said it did nothing to jeopardize the warranty. I'm cool with it. I'll post pics once I see it late next week. Apparently the detailers are going ape over it - said it looks amazing and sounded incredible.

Salivating.

#31 ·
Basically if you change your upper and lower down pipes along with a full cat-back, you will DEF. need a tune, no question about that. Basic mods such as mine (axle-back exhaust and intakes) will do no harm at all. I too was skeptical at first but it is quite known in the industry that basic mods such as mine will not require a tune. I don't plan on a tune either as I feel my car is perfectly fine for a daily driver.

#50 ·
I'm kinda disappointed in this intake. I was expecting more especially for $500. On the one hand the upper shrouds are very well made and fit perfect, but the rest of it is quite frankly an afterthought. You get 2 cone filters, 2 pieces of coated metal piping with integrated MAS flanges and two long silicone couplers which connect the flanges to the turbos. Installation was a pain in the ass not only because of the very limited space, but also because the fitment of the intakes is unfortunately poor. Proper position is a guessing game as the filters are pretty much free floating supported only by the long silicone couplers connected to the turbo. I would've much preferred some king of physical bracing to the chassis. In order to get the filters to sit behind the radiator support and to not interfere with the shrouds I had to push the MAS flanges past the integral inner lip/stop of the filters which was extremely hard to do. In the end, the intakes work. Throttle response seems better and the sound of the turbos spooling up is highly addictive. Areas for improvement would be: single piece solid piping/MAS housing assembly from the turbos to the filters with very short silicone couplers. Since the filters are not shrouded on the bottom they are susceptible to engine bay heat possibly reducing performance.

#51 ·
These things are definitely way overpriced. I feel like they marked them up that much because they are the only company offering the short ram intakes (Optimus has the true cold-air that go into the bumper). I plan on making my intakes myself using the pictures Stillen posted. The materials required are no where near $500 worth especially since I already have two cones as I was one that had to try simply replacing the stock air box with cones.

I replicated Optimus' muffler delete for a total of $100 worth of material. Two cones, two small silicone pieces, two small pieces of pipe, and two heat shields? Stillen's intakes should be even easier to replicate. The only issue I feel I will come across is the heat shields. I am going to see what I can do but I may just see if those are available for purchase by themselves.

#52 ·
There is definitely a huge markup on these and Stillen is bullish on price, but its simple economics. First to market and low supply so I dont blame them. I purchased mine elsewhere as my new sales person couldnt even give me free shipping. Its not even about money, but principle at this point. Miss the days of Adam Hume......

#53 ·
If you look at pricing on other Stillen intakes its right up there - so its not so much about being first, but generally how Stillen prices their intakes. The problem I have with it is there isnt that much material compared to their Gen 3 G37 CAI kit.

#54 ·
Im in manufacturing so I would estimate the material and labor to be easily under $100. They do sound great and I have noticeable improvement in throttle response.

#63 ·
sounds good, thanks guys! can't wait now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.