User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
andog88 is on a distinguished road
Default Downpipes vs intakes?

Gonna by one or the other. From what I see DPs give more hp but also increase boost so a tune is a necessity for DPs? True or false?

I'm not looking to tune my q50 red sport.

On the other hand intakes give less hp gains but don't require a tune
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
G37S is on a distinguished road

Down pipes without question. Since you wont tune dont bother with DPs

2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD - Majestic White
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37S View Post
Down pipes without question. Since you wont tune dont bother with DPs
Are you saying it in terms of not getting the full hp from the DPs without tune? or the risk of any engines issues due to increased boost from the DPs ?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
IridiumRS400 is on a distinguished road

I have the FI DPs ($399) and Cat-back on my '17 Q60 Red Sport. No CELs, no tune.

The stock ECM has safe-guards for overboost, so no risk to the engine.

If you want the car to remain stock-ish sounding, yet realize some performance gains, just install the DPs.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Truth is on a distinguished road

I would like to know what just the downpipes on the stock exhaust sounds like and if any drone. I know the M3/M4 crowd typically does just downpipes with the OEM exhaust but I'm wondering how it sounds on the RS400.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
I have the FI DPs ($399) and Cat-back on my '17 Q60 Red Sport. No CELs, no tune.

The stock ECM has safe-guards for overboost, so no risk to the engine.

If you want the car to remain stock-ish sounding, yet realize some performance gains, just install the DPs.
mines is a lease, im worried of any drivetrain or engine issues after DPs without tune :/ do you have more info on these safe-guards that keep the ecu from over boosting?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andog88 View Post
Do you have more info on these safe-guards that keep the ecu from over boosting?
Electronic wastegate and optical sensors (on the RS400) on the turbo - when the ECM either sees the optical sensors are exceeding the turbine wheel rpm, or the boost pressure limit is exceeded, the ECM will open the wastegate to dump boost.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have more info on these safe-guards that keep the ecu from over boosting?
Electronic wastegate and optical sensors (on the RS400) on the turbo - when the ECM either sees the optical sensors are exceeding the turbine wheel rpm, or the boost pressure limit is exceeded, the ECM will open the wastegate to dump boost.
So a stock red sport won't really open up the wastegates correct? Is that a big deal if it does happen? I just want to know if my car with a catback and downpipes will last my 3 year lease term without throwing a belt or any tranny issues
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
So a stock red sport won't really open up the wastegates correct? Is that a big deal if it does happen?
The only time I've experienced momentary boost loss with the DPs is in manual mode, when shifting from 1st > 2nd above 5500 rpm. It's likely due to less backpressure on the turbos, so they spin up much quicker than a stock configuration. No big deal... When I shift manually, I shift up by 5000 rpm when in 1st gear to avoid boost loss.

If you drive around in D, regardless of mode, the ECM (engine management) & PCM (transmission management) are in control and will not allow you to exceed boost, so you can let it upshift with the pedal to the floor.

The DPs really do a nice job of letting this VR30TT breathe - the engine is more torquey when driving with the rpms between 2.5-5k rpm. And again, my Q60S has the stock intakes.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
So a stock red sport won't really open up the wastegates correct? Is that a big deal if it does happen?
The only time I've experienced momentary boost loss with the DPs is in manual mode, when shifting from 1st > 2nd above 5500 rpm. It's likely due to less backpressure on the turbos, so they spin up much quicker than a stock configuration. No big deal... When I shift manually, I shift up by 5000 rpm when in 1st gear to avoid boost loss.

If you drive around in D, regardless of mode, the ECM (engine management) & PCM (transmission management) are in control and will not allow you to exceed boost, so you can let it upshift with the pedal to the floor.

The DPs really do a nice job of letting this VR30TT breathe - the engine is more torquey when driving with the rpms between 2.5-5k rpm. And again, my Q60S has the stock intakes.
Yeah I'll be keeping stock intakes also. I only do automatic lol not manual.

Sorry what is "D" when you said "when you're driving around in D?

Thanks again for your great explanation. I just a few hours ago hit a nasty pothole and my front passenger tire blew so this is gonna be an expense to my car I wasn't looking forward to.

I really want to dyno my car when I get some DPs next month. Wonder what I'll be pulling to the wheels with DPs and a custom catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.