User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Bargain Axle-back?

Has anyone made their own bargain axle-back or had a shop make one? I think $600+ is outrageous for 2 ~$80 mufflers and maybe $40 worth of tubing and flanges (and that's excluding bulk purchase discounts).

Interestingly enough it looks like I found an angled muffler that you could practically just bolt on for a do it yourself Axle-back. Has anyone tried something like this and been successful? Or does someone know of the length of the mufflers in a kit like Stillen makes? Are there particular mufflers use or avoid?

Cherry Bomb 87096: Glasspack Muffler 2.5" In./2.25" Outlet: angled 17° | JEGS

Last edited by JitteryJoe; 05-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MadHavoc is on a distinguished road

I highly discourage doing that. The reason good exhaust systems cost so mischievous is because of the gorgeous sound they make. While other things like cherrybombs and glass packs sound like confused poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Goonz is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHavoc View Post
I highly discourage doing that. The reason good exhaust systems cost so mischievous is because of the gorgeous sound they make. While other things like cherrybombs and glass packs sound like confused poop.
Agreed

JitteryJoe, having as nice of a car as what you have, I would highly discourage a DIY axleback because in the end of the day, you will get what you pay for. I spent around $600 for my Tanabe Medalian and I absolutely love it. The welds, mufflers and the tips all look soo on point, it looks $600 worth to me.

- 2016 Majestic White Q50S Red Sport - Loaded
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust / Stillen VR30ddtt Intakes / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Rays Eng Perform. Wheel Pkg / Midnight Grille / Rear Spoiler / Splash Shields / Welcome Lighting / Illuminated Kickplates / Interior Trim CF Wrap / Q60 Shift Boot/Knob

my ex's

'14 Moonlight White Q60S 6-mt - loaded
'12 Malbec Black G37xS Sedan 7AT - loaded
'08 Ivory Pearl G37S Coupe 6-mt - loaded
'07 Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6-mt - loaded

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
andog88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHavoc View Post
Agreed

JitteryJoe, having as nice of a car as what you have, I would highly discourage a DIY axleback because in the end of the day, you will get what you pay for. I spent around $600 for my Tanabe Medalian and I absolutely love it. The welds, mufflers and the tips all look soo on point, it looks $600 worth to me.
Yeah I wouldn't do that and from what I've read about glasspaxks as I was considering buying glasspack resonators because they're cheap, is that they're terrible. Fixing up your car is never cheap and once you start it's hard to stop. I thought I was set by just getting a red sport alone but that lead to an axle back then cat back and now either downpipes or intakes. Then you look at wheels, lights mods, etc, it's a never ending cycle and freakin pricey too.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Philogynist is on a distinguished road

I say go for it and share your results.

2014 Q50S AWD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MadHavoc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philogynist View Post
I say go for it and share your results.

Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road

I figured it was worth asking in case someone had good results. If somehow someone had inside knowledge of what mufflers and resonators that Stillen or Infinity uses on their axle-backs you could make it work but that would require some inside knowledge that they surely don't want to share. Was hoping someone had a success story.

I heard a muffler delete is too loud and or sounds like crap also, correct? I guess my best bet is to try a used system.

Is invidia any good? their catback seems to be the cheapest.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Goonz is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I figured it was worth asking in case someone had good results. If somehow someone had inside knowledge of what mufflers and resonators that Stillen or Infinity uses on their axle-backs you could make it work but that would require some inside knowledge that they surely don't want to share. Was hoping someone had a success story.

I heard a muffler delete is too loud and or sounds like crap also, correct? I guess my best bet is to try a used system.

Is invidia any good? their catback seems to be the cheapest.
Invidia makes good stuff, check our their video's on YouTube for the Q50

- 2016 Majestic White Q50S Red Sport - Loaded
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust / Stillen VR30ddtt Intakes / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Rays Eng Perform. Wheel Pkg / Midnight Grille / Rear Spoiler / Splash Shields / Welcome Lighting / Illuminated Kickplates / Interior Trim CF Wrap / Q60 Shift Boot/Knob

my ex's

'14 Moonlight White Q60S 6-mt - loaded
'12 Malbec Black G37xS Sedan 7AT - loaded
'08 Ivory Pearl G37S Coupe 6-mt - loaded
'07 Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6-mt - loaded

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Amboxler is on a distinguished road

I made my own axle back. Just did a simple muffler delete, straight pipe to custom 3.5" tips. Looks and sounds great to me. Some people complain about the drone from the muffler deletes but I don't mind. I came from the Subaru world and had a quad-tip Corsa on my STI, talk about a good sound.

Total I used about $120 worth of materials.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
monytx is on a distinguished road

Muffler deletes sound alright, just WOT towards the top end it's kinda raspy but tinny. I can't say for a sedan, however on my coupe it was drone city. It sounded nice however wayyy too much drone. I've heard that the sedans weren't that bad though. I didn't have mine on my coupe for long, quickly got rid of it and got a TopSpeed pro1. Personally, I'd just put that money aside and get a proper brand.

2015 Infiniti Q50s Graphite Shadow
2013 Nissan Altima
2008 Infiniti G37s [SOLD]
2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport [SOLD quickly]
2006 Nissan Maxima SE [SOLD]
1996 Nissan Maxima SE [SOLD]
1995 Nissan Maxima GXE [SOLD]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.