post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
hunter81 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default Q50 3.0t Premium Acceleration Thread

I got my first 3.0t loaner today so of coarse I ran home to get the VBOX. The car looks to be pretty equal to the 3.7, maybe a hair slower. The car also only has a little over 40 miles on it so perhaps the time might improve after the engine is broken in. I will continue to test other 3.0t loaners as I get the opportunity. Brake torque launching resulted in faster runs over all, but because it reduced the 1' rollout time it actually resulted in a slightly slower 0-60 time as you would see published in a magazine like Car and Driver. I did a total of one non-brake torqued run and two brake torqued runs.

0-60 Acceleration, Sport Auto, TC On, No Brake Torque
1' rollout - 0.38 sec.
10 mph - 0.46 sec.
20 mph - 1.25 sec.
30 mph - 2.06 sec.
40 mph - 2.94 sec.
50 mph - 3.89 sec.
60 mph - 5.35 sec.

0-60 Acceleration, Sport Auto, TC On, 2,000 RPM Brake Torque Launch
1' rollout - 0.29 sec.
10 mph - 0.52 sec.
20 mph - 1.26 sec.
30 mph - 2.02 sec.
40 mph - 2.92 sec.
50 mph - 4.00 sec.
60 mph - 5.38 sec.
StevetheTech likes this.

Graphite Shadow/Graphite Q50S Hybrid, 2WD. Nav/Deluxe Tech/Welcome Lighting/Ambient Lighting/Illuminated Kick Plates

Last edited by hunter81; 09-13-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Garage

I'm trying to find the thread I posted where I did a VBOX run with a Q50 3.7 in order to compare, but I can't seem to find it. It seems I remember that car ran a 0-60 run in a flat 5.30 seconds and that was not a brake torqued launch I did.

Graphite Shadow/Graphite Q50S Hybrid, 2WD. Nav/Deluxe Tech/Welcome Lighting/Ambient Lighting/Illuminated Kick Plates
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Garage

Found it! Yeah, 5.30, right on the money.

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/eng...0-60-time.html

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Truth is on a distinguished road

So the 3.7 is slightly quicker? Doesn't the 3.0 have more torque?
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
So the 3.7 is slightly quicker? Doesn't the 3.0 have more torque?
It does, but there are so many other factors that come into play. Perhaps the 3.7 does a little better on torque higher up. The car does seem to peter out a little towards redline and the 3.7 also has a 500 redline advantage.

One other thing is this 3.0t is brand new. It had 40 or so miles on it when I got around to testing it. Perhaps once broken in the car will perform a little better. I wouldn't expect a huge change. I don't see this car ever running in the 4's without a tune, but maybe 0.1 or 0.2 could come off with more miles.

I could be wrong, but I think all our cars are run on a dyno before they leave the factory which makes me think performance doesn't change too much from brand new to broken in, but again, I'm just theorizing.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
drift-time is on a distinguished road

I think you need to factor when to shift. At what RPM are shifting? make sure you stay in full boost.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Fateswarning is an unknown quantity at this point

That makes me feel better about opting for the 3.7. I did it for long term durability, that and the huge $12,000 discount.

Even if it gets a bit faster once broken in, it seems as though it won't be a huge difference.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateswarning View Post
That makes me feel better about opting for the 3.7. I did it for long term durability, that and the huge $12,000 discount.

Even if it gets a bit faster once broken in, it seems as though it won't be a huge difference.
That's my thinking as well. I think Infiniti was aiming to replace the 3.7's same performance with better efficiency with a slightly higher torque, but slightly lower hp turbo engine. I really wanted to get a 60-100 run, but I would need to do that at night. Incidentally I have the loaner over night, but we have had wine and are in for the night. Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow.

I will say the 3.0t's fuel economy is pretty phenomenal at least according to the gauge in the car. I think Infiniti was conservative on the highway economy. They rated it lower than the 3.7, but I can tell you this car almost matches my Hybrid on the highway. That was really impressive.
vector7 likes this.

Last edited by hunter81; 09-13-2016 at 11:24 PM.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
jiml302 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter81 View Post
That's my thinking as well. I think Infiniti was aiming to replace the 3.7's same performance with better efficiency with a slightly higher torque, but slightly lower hp turbo engine. I really wanted to get a 60-100 run, but I would need to do that at night. Incidentally I have the loaner over night, but we have had wine and are in for the night. Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow.

I will say the 3.0t's fuel economy is pretty phenomenal at least according to the gauge in the car. I think Infiniti was conservative on the highway economy. They rated it lower than the 3.7, but I can tell you this car almost matches my Hybrid on the highway. That was really impressive.

All horsepower is , is a mathematical equation of torque. You have to look at both and compare the entire band. And alot of this is for emissions.. not your personal fun factor

Washed up crippled old mechanic swayed by the pure genius of the q50

INSTAGRAM:jerseysportfisher
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml302 View Post
All horsepower is , is a mathematical equation of torque. You have to look at both and compare the entire band. And alot of this is for emissions.. not your personal fun factor
I'm familiar with the formula including how to get to the 5,252.11 constant, although I will say my trig isn't that great anymore, but you're preaching to the converted on that. I also wrote on here about what I sort of tongue and cheek call fat and skinny engines at a given hp rating due to our brains tendency to associate the general numerical alignment of hp and lb.-ft. for engines in countries that are not metric.

I know you can't just look at peak horsepower or even peak torque and instantly say which engine would produce better acceleration overall with everything else being equal. Acceleration is a movie and peak power and torque stats are just single frames that are, granted, very important and can give you a good idea of an engine's ability, just not a complete picture. I always figured the new 300 hp engine would perform "about" as well as the outgoing 3.7 assuming the engine was too underrated based on the reported stats before the car came out and a little instinct that Infiniti would still want a car to slot in the the low to mid 5's for acceleration in the Q50 lineup.

I really like the current line up and think the cars are mostly logically spaced as far as performance. I think it'll be even better if the new variable compression 2.0t they came out with replaces the slightly week 2.0t from Benz that's in the Q50 now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.