Genesis G80 Sport - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
geforce912 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Genesis G80 Sport

I test drove the new 2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T. My lease is coming up on my '14 Q50 and have been looking around quite a bit. The Hyundai/Genesis dealership told me there were currently only four copies of the G80 in Texas. Nevertheless, they took it out of their show room and let me take it for a spin. I'll sum it all up by saying it is an amazing vehicle. There weren't any brochures and i believe it only comes in one configuration fully-loaded for 56K.

The fit, finish and material quality of the interior is amazing and a lot better than the Q50. It comes with a lot of features the Q50 doesn't offer: HUD, Cooled Seats, Android Auto & CarPlay, Wireless Charging etc. I'm probably gonna get some flack for this on here but this is one of my gripes with the Q50 and the reason i'm leaving Infiniti for now: Most car manufacturers have added some or all of these features to their model year even though it didn't start with it. We probably have to wait for a completely new redesigned Q50 to see some of these features if at all. After playing with Android Auto and experiencing cooled seats (intense summers in texas), i honestly cannot go back to a car that doesn't have those features.

Anyways, Genesis's infotainment systems is one of the best in the industry, very responsive and fluid.
The G80 Sport is not without faults however. I thought the suspension was a little soft and the one thing i really didn't care for was when you put the car in sport mode, the engine raucous was piped into the interior and i thought it was a smidgen too loud.

Considering the features it comes with and how much of a beautiful looking car it is, i think 56K is a decent bargain if you don't care about brand cachet. Their lease prices however were ridiculous because i think they depreciate a lot, not surprisingly. They wanted $1100 for 36/12k and didn't really wan't to negotiate. I can lease a BMW 550 for about that much. I think they would be a great deal to buy in a few years time because of the depreciation and also Genesis has excellent warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-Genesis-G80-Sport.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	58066  
geforce912 is offline  
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
azcatz11 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geforce912 View Post
I test drove the new 2018 Genesis G80 Sport 3.3T. My lease is coming up on my '14 Q50 and have been looking around quite a bit. The Hyundai/Genesis dealership told me there were currently only four copies of the G80 in Texas. Nevertheless, they took it out of their show room and let me take it for a spin. I'll sum it all up by saying it is an amazing vehicle. There weren't any brochures and i believe it only comes in one configuration fully-loaded for 56K.

The fit, finish and material quality of the interior is amazing and a lot better than the Q50. It comes with a lot of features the Q50 doesn't offer: HUD, Cooled Seats, Android Auto & CarPlay, Wireless Charging etc. I'm probably gonna get some flack for this on here but this is one of my gripes with the Q50 and the reason i'm leaving Infiniti for now: Most car manufacturers have added some or all of these features to their model year even though it didn't start with it. We probably have to wait for a completely new redesigned Q50 to see some of these features if at all. After playing with Android Auto and experiencing cooled seats (intense summers in texas), i honestly cannot go back to a car that doesn't have those features.

Anyways, Genesis's infotainment systems is one of the best in the industry, very responsive and fluid.
The G80 Sport is not without faults however. I thought the suspension was a little soft and the one thing i really didn't care for was when you put the car in sport mode, the engine raucous was piped into the interior and i thought it was a smidgen too loud.

Considering the features it comes with and how much of a beautiful looking car it is, i think 56K is a decent bargain if you don't care about brand cachet. Their lease prices however were ridiculous because i think they depreciate a lot, not surprisingly. They wanted $1100 for 36/12k and didn't really wan't to negotiate. I can lease a BMW 550 for about that much. I think they would be a great deal to buy in a few years time because of the depreciation and also Genesis has excellent warranty.
I've seen a few on the road - they are very attractive. Especially with the full LED lights. I've read similar reviews that say the road is really soft and the car feels big. That it handles like a boat.

But really, $1,100?? I mean, that is literally insane.
azcatz11 is online now  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Über Member
 
miccris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
miccris93 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geforce912 View Post
They wanted $1100 for 36/12k and didn't really wan't to negotiate. I can lease a BMW 550 for about that much.
Or probably a QX80 at that point. I agree that the models coming out since Hyundai spun off Genesis into a different brand instead of just a model look great and pack a lot of value, but I don't know what their incentivizing strategy is going to be to get more on the road and get some recognition with how those lease prices are now.

2015 Q50S AWD, Graphite Shadow
OEM Rear Spoiler, Infiniti Sport Muffler, Midnight Black Grille,
Interior LED Conversion, Diode Dynamics Tail-as-Turn,
Rear Bumper 3M Matte Black Vinyl Wrap

Former Fette Infiniti Delivery Coordinator & Product Specialist


Instagram: miccris93
miccris93 is online now  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
geforce912 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccris93 View Post
Or probably a QX80 at that point. I agree that the models coming out since Hyundai spun off Genesis into a different brand instead of just a model look great and pack a lot of value, but I don't know what their incentivizing strategy is going to be to get more on the road and get some recognition with how those lease prices are now.
I agree. I don't really care about brand cachet but i know some people do which is fair, you pay for what you deem is more valuable to you. I on the other hand am more of bang-for-buck. However, Genesis must be dreaming if they think they are on the same luxury perception level as a BMW for instance to be charging those lease prices. I think the high lease price i was quoted was a factor of two things: they have only a handful of them in Texas and also because it just came out a week ago. It's no doubt the Genesis is going to depreciate a lot more than a comparable Lexus would but they will have to find a way to incentivize the leases and get more of them out there.

There are currently no real Genesis dealerships in Houston, they are all Hyundai. I was under the assumption spinning off the Genesis brand would come with Genesis only dealerships. Looks like they aren't there yet.
geforce912 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Über Member
 
Fateswarning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Fateswarning is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I really like them. Very handsome inside and out. As mentioned, a bit big a boaty, really a different class all together but nice.

Infiniti leases so amazingly well that it's tough to go another way. It's the same as a one-notch-above-base, four banger Accord Sport.

$1100/mo is unbelievable.
Fateswarning is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
JohnsQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southlake, TX
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
JohnsQ is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geforce912 View Post
After playing with Android Auto and experiencing cooled seats (intense summers in texas), i honestly cannot go back to a car that doesn't have those features.
I understand the want for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - but I don't get everyone wanting cooled seats. I had them on our '15 RX - and other than hearing a somewhat noisy fan, I never really noticed it. For me - I'm generally wearing clothes while driving - and blowing air thru the seats doesn't do a whole heck-of-a-lot to relieve any 100+ degree day (I am in Texas as well). A very VERY strong a/c system is critical. Dunno....maybe it's just me. But cooled seats are the 1 feature I can live without.
Q602B likes this.

2015 Q50S - Moonlight White on Stone - High Performance Wheels/Tires - NAV - Ambient Lighting - Welcome Lighting - illuminated kickplates - splashguards
JohnsQ is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Über Member
 
Fateswarning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Fateswarning is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geforce912 View Post
I agree. I don't really care about brand cachet but i know some people do which is fair, you pay for what you deem is more valuable to you. I on the other hand am more of bang-for-buck. However, Genesis must be dreaming if they think they are on the same luxury perception level as a BMW for instance to be charging those lease prices. I think the high lease price i was quoted was a factor of two things: they have only a handful of them in Texas and also because it just came out a week ago. It's no doubt the Genesis is going to depreciate a lot more than a comparable Lexus would but they will have to find a way to incentivize the leases and get more of them out there.

There are currently no real Genesis dealerships in Houston, they are all Hyundai. I was under the assumption spinning off the Genesis brand would come with Genesis only dealerships. Looks like they aren't there yet.
Last year they said they'd have stand alone dealships within five years.

Here's an article from last year:

"More 2016 New York Auto Show Coverage

Hyundai Dealerships for Now

Genesis doesn't have separate dealerships just yet, and when the G80 and G90 go on sale this summer — specifically July or August, spokesman Derek Joyce told us — the brand will retain the current showroom-within-a-showroom strategy, where Hyundai dealers sell the cars in separate areas of the dealership. That's how dealers sell the outgoing Genesis and Equus sedans, Hyundai's two luxury models that will become the G80 and G90, respectively.

It's "probably not" a good idea over the long run, AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan said, noting that when Toyota launched its Lexus division in 1989, it had stand-alone dealerships despite starting off with just two cars. But Sullivan said it's a useful tactic for now until Hyundai can convince dealers to build separate Genesis facilities.

The automaker has to be careful, he added.

"Look at Fiat: They asked all these dealers to invest all this money to get this franchise, and there hasn't exactly been the products behind it," he said. "In order to make it feasible or financially attractive to become one of these [Genesis] dealers, there's going to be steps along the way."

Stand-Alone Dealerships Within Five Years

The eventual hope is for Genesis to have its own dealerships. Erwin Raphael, Genesis' just-appointed U.S. general manager, told Cars.com that Genesis plans to have stand-alone dealers within five years.

"We haven't decided exactly when" those stores will arrive, Raphael told us at the New York show. But "we think the experience — the dealer and customer experience — is as important as the product," he said.

Last edited by Fateswarning; 05-15-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Fateswarning is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:07 PM
Über Member
 
miccris93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
miccris93 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default

I feel like when they were prepping for this release it must have been a marketing/logistics nightmare. They obviously want to compete with the likes of Lexus and Mercedes-Benz, but when the Big 3 Japanese launched their luxury brands in the 80s (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus), they each did it with a dealer network that set them apart from the mainstream counterparts. But Hyundai is doing this differently. Instead of investing in a whole new dealer network for the "launch" of the models (G80 and G90 already existed as Genesis and Equus, respectively), they're utilizing the existing network for the vehicles. So while this gives them an immediate way to begin selling and saves them some cash for now, the buying/owning experience may not be up to par for luxury standards. There won't be dedicated staff for dealing with customers shopping for luxury vehicles (in terms of product knowledge and customer service expectations), no/lacking dealership amenities, and a service experience that is dealing with mainstream/economy vehicles more often than luxury ones (My old coworker who is still a very good friend has corporate experience and understands how the buying experience should be for Infiniti customers. But I don't know how much I can have those expectations for staff at the other showrooms that were in the dealer network where I worked, but since Infiniti was a separate building I didn't have much interaction with the other guys). It'll take time to get there, but as of now it seems like the expected "white glove" dealership standards may not be there when the prices demand it.

2015 Q50S AWD, Graphite Shadow
OEM Rear Spoiler, Infiniti Sport Muffler, Midnight Black Grille,
Interior LED Conversion, Diode Dynamics Tail-as-Turn,
Rear Bumper 3M Matte Black Vinyl Wrap

Former Fette Infiniti Delivery Coordinator & Product Specialist


Instagram: miccris93

Last edited by miccris93; 05-14-2017 at 11:12 PM.
miccris93 is online now  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
geforce912 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsQ View Post
I understand the want for Android Auto/Apple CarPlay - but I don't get everyone wanting cooled seats. I had them on our '15 RX - and other than hearing a somewhat noisy fan, I never really noticed it. For me - I'm generally wearing clothes while driving - and blowing air thru the seats doesn't do a whole heck-of-a-lot to relieve any 100+ degree day (I am in Texas as well). A very VERY strong a/c system is critical. Dunno....maybe it's just me. But cooled seats are the 1 feature I can live without.
So from my limited experience, cooled seats tend to vary and the cooled seats in some cars are not very effective. I have tried a few cars with cooled seats and some are so-so. Never tried the cooled seats in the RX but the best cooled seats experience i had was in the CTS. It was like there was a constant breeze aimed at your back, very noticeable.

Of course, very strong AC is an absolute requirement here in Texas.
geforce912 is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
geforce912 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miccris93 View Post
I feel like when they were prepping for this release it must have been a marketing/logistics nightmare. They obviously want to compete with the likes of Lexus and Mercedes-Benz, but when the Big 3 Japanese launched their luxury brands in the 80s (Acura, Infiniti, Lexus), they each did it with a dealer network that set them apart from the mainstream counterparts. But Hyundai is doing this differently. Instead of investing in a whole new dealer network for the "launch" of the models (G80 and G90 already existed as Genesis and Equus, respectively), they're utilizing the existing network for the vehicles. So while this gives them an immediate way to begin selling and saves them some cash for now, the buying/owning experience may not be up to par for luxury standards. There won't be dedicated staff for dealing with customers shopping for luxury vehicles (in terms of product knowledge and customer service expectations), no/lacking dealership amenities, and a service experience that is dealing with mainstream/economy vehicles more often than luxury ones (My old coworker who is still a very good friend has corporate experience and understands how the buying experience should be for Infiniti customers. But I don't know how much I can have those expectations for staff at the other showrooms that were in the dealer network where I worked, but since Infiniti was a separate building I didn't have much interaction with the other guys). It'll take time to get there, but as of now it seems like the expected "white glove" dealership standards may not be there when the prices demand it.
I definitely noticed this when i was over there because all the dealerships i have visited have been luxury dealerships. I could clearly tell they weren't really used to selling cars worth over 2x what they usually sell. Could have been just because the car is new and they didn't know much about it yet. Anyways, i think this is one of the holes in Hyundai/Genesis plan. Without dedicated Genesis dealerships and luxury experience, they really shouldn't be charging those lease prices. On the other hand, they need a large customer base with corresponding sales numbers to accelerate the investment in exclusive Genesis dealerships. A chicken and egg kinda thing.

I still really liked the car and will take another stab at it in a few weeks to see if the lease prices are a little more reasonable.
geforce912 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome