Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2015 Acura TLX vs 2015 Infiniti Q50

19K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  blackbeauty 
#1 ·

With their combination of sportiness, style and technology, it’s hard to resist the charm of a sport sedan. Making them even more enticing is how versatile they can be, as many can be equipped with smooth V6 engines and capable all-wheel-drive systems.

So, like a feline to catnip, we jumped at the chance to test the new Acura TLX V6 AWD and Infiniti Q50 AWD to see which one is worth your money.
Read more about the 2015 Acura TLX vs 2015 Infiniti Q50 at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Oh c'mon, I was just talking about how these two cars shouldn't be compared.. :(

and it shows when you notice that they're comparing a loaded TLX to a base model Q50. Doesn't that seem kinda wrong in principle?

I love the TLX for what it is and I love the Q50 too obviously but this "vs" comparison doesn't seem right. Maybe it's just me?

#3 ·
I have to agree with you, on both things,

These two cars should not be compared, they are not even close to each other!!! Also comparing a base to a loaded model in any car is not a fair comparison. If you are doing a comparison of these two, at least have both that are loaded.

Reactions: SimpsonTide985
#4 ·
Infiniti Pros:
Stronger more potent engine
Better Handling
More Legroom
Better Transmission

Acura Pros:
Better Fuel Economy (We're comparing sport sedans here!)
Better Infotainment (apparently InTouch is confusing...)
Comfortable
More Features (but they compared a base to a loaded...)

I know I'm bias, but I'd much rather prefer the Q50 over TLX, the lack of exposed tail pipes alone would cut the TLX off my list haha!

#6 ·
I don't know why they chose TLX being more comfortable. I found the sport seats in the Q50 a lot more comfortable when I test drove both!!

#5 ·
The new TLX does not stand out at all. I went to my nearby Acura dealership and saw a few of them on the lot. The car appeared smallish, like a sharper Honda Accord. What kills it for me (and what caused me to transition away from Acura years ago) is the beak. It's horrendous and wrecks the entire design. 60 percent the existing owner base indicated they were opposed to the beak, and yet Acura persists.

#9 · (Edited)
Well, it's always been the intention for Acura to appeal to those not looking to dazzle in appearances. They revel in being understated, mature, and austere in their design and some shoppers actually prefer it.

The thing I do admire about Acura's "beak" is how it's definitely made the brand easy to recognize. People have criticized that everyone's front end grilles are starting to look all the same. I give props to Acura for sticking to their guns on that.

#11 ·
Well, the TLX is not a car for me, but I'm still happy to see it appeal to someone.

#12 ·
I dont understand why Acura no longer makes "Type-S" models.

The previous gen TL Type-S was a SOLID car...although FWD....but it was really good for a FWD car.

Why couldnt they just replicate that sporty formula with this new TLX?

Acura has so much potential but in my opinion, they fall flat on their face when it comes to their sedans.

This TLX should have had 325 horsepower MINIMUM to separate itself further from the Accord, and the interior shouldnt be so **** close to an Accord with a premium package.

I also cant stand how BLAND their gauges are! Can they get anymore Vanilla with them?

#16 ·
If anyone on here can recall the Acura Legend sedan and coupe it would become readily apparent that Acura has lost it's way. I owned an '89 Legend Coupe and it had heated seats/mirrors. It whistled like a jet engine upon accelerating and was incredibly advanced for its time. I saw an early 90s Legend sedan yesterday in excellent condition and it's still a vehicle you stop and stare at for its beauty. That is really saying something about a Japanese vehicle two decades later. The beak may set them apart but in the way of ridiculousness they hadn't anticipated.

#31 ·
I remember. In fact I am still driving mine.

20 years later, its still looks and runs great! 114,00 mi's.

It was just over $40,000 20 years ago!

I am/was a huge Acura fan but I think they lost their way. The previous generation TL was pretty good but now they leave me cold.

Just in case anyone needed a reminder:

Attachments

#19 ·
I used to be an Acura fan but their styling beginning in 2009 has driven me to Infiniti (just look at what I drive and where I work). Even now, I much prefer the new Infiniti headlight design on the Q50/Q70/QX80 with the semicircle and eyebrow over the Jewel Eye design that Acura is using on everything. I've seen reviews of the newer Acura infotainment systems and the interface looks pretty bland compared to InTouch, along with that huge knob sticking out of the dash that looks plain awkward as opposed to the Infiniti Controller next to the shifter on the Q50. I remember reading that Acura even had to put a stop-sale on the TLX V6 because they would spontaneously shift out of Park and someone on a forum mentioned that when he had one as a loaner that the service manager urged him to make sure the parking brake was on whenever he left the car. I loved my 3.0CL and their 3rd-gen TL, but nothing from Acura really excites me anymore, whereas what I get to interact with everyday at the dealership does.

#20 ·
This last weekend I made the time after reading this online. I have a New Q50s and let me tell you being 6'2 185 the TLX vs the Q50 for me is hands down I made the better choice...

I took it for a test drive and drove it like my Q...needless to say the sales rep about Shat his pants (evil grin ;) and in no way can tjis or should be compared to even the base Q50... but to be quoted on a sport... lmao..the Q50s would just say see ya!

Sorry till they get some real power yet tech like ours then Acura should just stay behind honda...imo

#21 ·
Acura dropped the ball with this. How are they going to use that thrill to drive slogan on a car with hidden exaust and a lack of power? Not to mention it looks dated. It looks like what the 4th Gen should have looked like bit with exposed exaust and it's fwd still? Why? They should make a type s or hybrid version. I know most of their sales are for non enthusiasts but cmon.

#22 ·
I didn't realize it had hidden tailpipes. Even the nicer Camries have exposed tailpipes. For today's cars, that's the equivalent of wearing your pants too high waisted or something else out of step.

Reactions: Q60 I²
#24 ·
Greener?

How f*cking preposterous. How can you have "Thrill" when a Toyota Avalon will put a bus on you?

The only thing that thrills me on that car is the headlights....literally NOTHING else. The entire rest of the car is so plain jane vanilla....not even vanilla bean, just standard vanilla.

Acura could of definitely built a proper Type-R version of this car. Throw in some big Brembos, 19 inch forged dark wheels on summer tread, AWD with the 6MT, an NSX inspired interior with leather Recaro's in red and aluminum/carbon fiber accents....and 350HP.....

It would have been an awesome competitor to the Q50.

In its current form, its a competitor to a well optioned Toyota Camry.

#26 ·
Yeah, it is. Really looking at this car, it's two steps below the playing field it's pretending to compete with. I hate to say it, but if this is the tone for the line up their design future is going, don't expect the new NSX to become a regular member of the supercar family. They'll bring it out, it'll be great for a few years and then they won't update it while they continue to build a truly lack luster lineup on everything else. The NSX will just age against the competition like the last one did until they just stop making it again. That's me just trying to read through the tea leaves.

#28 ·
I test drove the V6 TLX after I got my Q50S. I agree that the Q50 is more sporty, engine more responsive, but the TLX offers great bang for the buck with the Tech package. And they have a Espresso color interior! TLX is a nice car, just not sporty enough for me.

Reactions: JudgeSmails
#29 ·
The TLX is a decent rig. I traded a 2009 TL SH-AWD for the Q50S. I sat/ drove one before deciding on the Q50S. The tranny seemed even more confused than the 5 speed in the 09 we had. It was great in the Jersey snow though. I wouldn't mind picking up a TLX for the wife. However, I'll be waiting on the Q30 release first. I just like the versatility of a hatch back since we already have a Q50S.

#32 ·
Yeah. I'd just go ahead and get the accord. I just leased the q40 for 24 months. I'll probably go with a cheap accord sport next time. I'll just throw in leather aftermarket seats and upgrade the stereo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.