27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #21 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HouNos is on a distinguished road

I saw an article from Consumer Reports today stating:

"So if your car is designed for 87-octane fuel, don't waste money on premium and if you car recommends (not requires) premium, you can usually get away with using regular. Some cars truly require premium, meaning you're stuck paying extra. Keep this in mind when shopping for your next car."

I thought this was interesting since the Q50 recommends (not requires) premium gas based on the latest info I saw. This is a change from the G37.

Here's the link to the article: Yahoo!
post #22 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold

the cars are smart enough to adapt to lower octane and prevent knock.

You do loose out on performance and maybe even mileage (debatable)
post #23 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HouNos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
the cars are smart enough to adapt to lower octane and prevent knock.

You do loose out on performance and maybe even mileage (debatable)
I once accidentally filled my wife's Lexus with regular gas instead of premium during a trip. I was concerned about the results, so I watched the mileage and listened carefully for knocking. The mileage stayed the same and I didn't detect any knocking.

A guy from Lexus told me that the engines have gasoline sensors and adapt to the gas you are using, just as you stated. From my experience that seems to be true.
CarolinaQ50 likes this.

post #24 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
carz is on a distinguished road

this topic drives me up the wall.....sure let me spend $50k and act like a baller but put the cheapest kind of gas in the car and risk engine damage. makes sense

guys....the manual says to use 91.....is it ok to use 87?
guys....the warning label says poisonous, do not drink........is it ok to take a sip?

you can use 87 on your car, sure....but you are risking engine damage...and for what? saving $5-7? if you cant afford $5-7...then you cant afford the car in general.
post #25 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
eednapes is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring up an old post, but no, you are not really risking engine damage with 87. Tons of reports and studies have been done on this. Here's one article that does a quick job of explaining it:

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

I'm new to the Q50, but I know several people who've owned one for almost 2 years now and they run on 87, occasionally putting a 91 in there. One of them even did a mileage test with each, and he got the same result. Both of their cars are still fine.
post #26 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Truth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eednapes View Post
Sorry to bring up an old post, but no, you are not really risking engine damage with 87. Tons of reports and studies have been done on this. Here's one article that does a quick job of explaining it:

Save Money and Stop Buying Premium Gas

I'm new to the Q50, but I know several people who've owned one for almost 2 years now and they run on 87, occasionally putting a 91 in there. One of them even did a mileage test with each, and he got the same result. Both of their cars are still fine.
I want to bump this for people new to the car. The above is not true. The car say's Premium fuel ONLY. Not recommended. If you have to worry about saving $5 dollars on gas then you should have got an accord.
post #27 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
q50harry is on a distinguished road
Garage

I alternate 89 one time then next time I fill up I use 91 then I repeat. I find this to be good no engine knocks or anything. I remember when I had my G37 I started to fill 87 in it and man did it knock like a mother after sometime, also lost performance it felt sluggish, soon as I started to put 91 back in it after 2 or 3 fill ups all knocking was gone and it felt like G37 again and not an accord. That's why with the Q50 I never and will never use 87 the lowest I go is 89 but then 91 the next time.

-harry
post #28 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
chilibowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Why anyone would put 87 in this car is beyond me.

You are losing two-fold. The engine will produce LESS power, and you will also LOWER your MPG.

If premium gas is $3 a gallon, and regular gas is $2.50, you save $9-$10 on a full tank fillup.

Thats $10. Thats eating out lunch one time. If you are scrounging away for $10 approximately per week, you bought the wrong car.
toinfiniti, rpiotro and ScottM like this.
post #29 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:23 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
rdelaserda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibowl View Post
Why anyone would put 87 in this car is beyond me.

You are losing two-fold. The engine will produce LESS power, and you will also LOWER your MPG.

If premium gas is $3 a gallon, and regular gas is $2.50, you save $9-$10 on a full tank fillup.

Thats $10. Thats eating out lunch one time. If you are scrounging away for $10 approximately per week, you bought the wrong car.
HA!! agreed... the GOOD STUFF BABY.. don't be holdin' out...!!

2014 Q50 Premium AWD, Obsidian Black/Black, Nav, Touring, Illuminated Kick Panels, Infiniti Sport Muffler, Q50 Sport Pedals, Stillen Rear Sway bar, Sport Paddle Shifter Kit, M37 Shift Knob, Interior VLED's, Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 15%, Sport 19" OEM's, Conti DWS 06's, Takeda Pro DRY S Stage-2 Intake System, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, Black Weathertechs
post #30 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
chilibowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdelaserda View Post
HA!! agreed... the GOOD STUFF BABY.. don't be holdin' out...!!
Im saying! Why would you want a retarded car?

(No, Im serious, the ECU retards timing with 87 octane )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.