User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
AndrewT1224 is on a distinguished road
Default As far as reliability goes, how reliable is the Q50?

I saw that Infiniti ranks below industry average on JD powers ranking and that concerns me. Aren't japanese brands usually more reliable than german brands?

Also, are there still a bunch of issues with the Q50? Everywhere I go, I see people complaining about the car's infotainment system (I think thats whats its called).
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
djohnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT1224 View Post
... are there still a bunch of issues with the Q50? Everywhere I go, I see people complaining about the car's infotainment system (I think thats whats its called).
I had some intouch electronic issues and a driver's side mirror that needed to be replaced early on. No problems mechanically.

There have been very few mechanical issues reported on this forum. Most of the issues reported here are intouch and, early on, DAS/cold weather related issues. And smell from out-gassing adhesive used to attach drain tubes in for the sun roof. That is not to say a few have returned their cars to Infiniti under lemon law returns.

Ask me if I would buy the car again, the answer is a resounding YES. As an early adopter, I expected to have some issues. I love DAS and the way the car drives.
CarolinaQ50 and hunter81 like this.

Intelligent people make intelligent choices when they have good intelligence.
2014 Infiniti Q50 - Build Date: 05/30/2013 | Graphite Shadow/Stone | Nav | Dlx Touring | Tech | Leather | 19" Wheels
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Pewterta is on a distinguished road

I've only had the car for a little over a week and don't have any complaints. I knew that I was getting a first year model and accepted the risk there could be growing pains with it. The in-touch system can appear to be a little overwhelming at first. However, you will get used to it after regular usage.

Unfortunately, there are and will be differing opinions on the car (or any for that matter). I personally like the DAS system (fully loaded Q50 Sport Hybrid AWD). The only functionality that I miss from my Cadillac is the remote start capability. I really really miss having a toasty warm car to get into in the Oklahoma winter (haha).

If you are thinking of purchasing/leasing one, I would offer that you take one for a drive. If a dealership has a demo available, you may try to get it for the weekend. As far as reliability goes, you might want to try a lease (versus purchase) to minimize the long term reliability risk from purchasing (that's what I did).

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions. I (and others on here) will do our best to answer them for you!
djohnson likes this.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
selzini has a spectacular aura about selzini has a spectacular aura about selzini has a spectacular aura about

I would think that the lower reliability rating is because of the issues with the In Touch system and the cold weather problems with the steering. Both of those issues were mostly fixed with the recalls and the updates to the systems that have been done (yes, there have been isolated problems with individual cars, but I would say that they are the very rare exceptions). I've had my car for more than 16 months, and except for the In Touch system freezing twice in the first month, I have had ZERO issues with the car. My only "complaint" is that the sport suspension, which is required in the hybrid, makes for a rougher ride over bumpy roads. However, after averaging more than the EPA's estimated mileage on road trips, that's a very minor quibble with the car.
djohnson and hunter81 like this.

Venetian Ruby Q50 AWD Hybrid - 6th Infiniti
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Orrin is on a distinguished road

I also have a hybrid with AWD - nav and tech packages. Took delivery in August 2013. Have just under 12K miles. Looks to be the same model that Selzini has and I would second everything Selzini says except for the mileage. I'm averaging about 2 to 3 mpg less than EPA. (Mostly city driving) However, for a car this powerful the mileage is still great.

About my only complaint is a smother more comfortable ride for this model. As Selzini comments the sport suspension is pretty rough - not exactly a kidney buster - but would prefer something with a little more cushion.

Orrin

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 PM
EdB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
EdB is on a distinguished road
Garage

I have had my Q50 almost a year and 16,000 miles later, no mechanical issues whatsoever, by this I mean things that would prevent me from using it daily.

Other than the Recalls and some TSB, car is holding on well.

Moonlight White Q50S
-35% Tint Front
-15% Tint Back
-HardWired 9500ix Radar Detector
-Full LEDs
-Stillen Cat Back Exhaust
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Master Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Decade_Infiniti is on a distinguished road

And some annoying rattles they can't figure out.

2016 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige + Sports Line
2014 Q50S Hybrid AWD Graphite on Graphite
2012 G37xS Graphite on Wheat
2012 G37xS Red on Black (Wife's Car)
2008 G35xS Black on Black
2003 G35 Electric Blue on Wheat
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
AndrewT1224 is on a distinguished road

If I get the S variant, that comes with the stiffer sport suspension right? I am coming from a 2013 Mercedes C250; does anyone have experience with this car for comparison. The closet dealership to me is about an 1 hour and a half away so I won't be able to go in for a test drive for at least until after the new year
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Master Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Decade_Infiniti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT1224 View Post
If I get the S variant, that comes with the stiffer sport suspension right? I am coming from a 2013 Mercedes C250; does anyone have experience with this car for comparison. The closet dealership to me is about an 1 hour and a half away so I won't be able to go in for a test drive for at least until after the new year
The suspension is different for sport but not sure by how much or how different it is from the regular model. It certainly doesn't have adaptive suspension as you change drive mode.

2016 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige + Sports Line
2014 Q50S Hybrid AWD Graphite on Graphite
2012 G37xS Graphite on Wheat
2012 G37xS Red on Black (Wife's Car)
2008 G35xS Black on Black
2003 G35 Electric Blue on Wheat
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 02:14 AM
Master Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
machmike is on a distinguished road

I prefer the Sport model better, the ride isn't too harsh. You are certainly not going to confuse this with a lincoln or ES300 or something, these cars are set a bit tighter for obvious reasons.

Back to topic,
I have had my car nearly a year, the only issue I seem to have is my paint chips very easily compared to any other car I have owned.

2014 Q50S AWD
Graphite | Graphite | NAV | 22PLE Glass Coating (wheels and paint)| XPel Ultimate Clear Bra - SOLD
Q50 Delivery Checklist Here!
1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Raven Black with Red
2016 Land Rover LR4 HSE Aruba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.