27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
stevie is on a distinguished road
Default Explanation of Drive Modes

Would love it if someone could explain to me when I would use each of the different drive modes. I've been playing around with each mode and seeing how different it feels, but would love some expertise. I have the Premium RWD. Also - given that I have that car, what are my options for customization in the Personal mode?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold gbert15 is a splendid one to behold

Basically when u flick the drive mode switch, it gives u different presets that changes how the gear shifts and, not sure about this, how the suspension responds as well!

Once u dive in the drive mode settings, what you are changing are your settings for the personal mode! Try out what steering settings best suit! As for the different drive modes, maybe someone can explain it further for u!

Lucy Build Thread
2015 Infiniti Q50S RWD
Venetian Ruby | Graphite | Wood
Deluxe Touring Package | Rear Splash Guards | OEM Rear Spoiler
Raspberry Red Akebono Calipers | Front & Rear Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors
NISMO License Plates
STILLEN Cat-Back Exhaust | Rear Diffuser | Custom Front Splitter
BC Racing BR-Type Coilovers | SSR SP4 Gloss White 20x9.5 Front 20x10.5 Rear
Hankook Evo V12 225/35/20 Front and 255/35/20 Rear | Black Project Kics Iconix Lug Nuts w/ Red Aluminum Caps
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM

Rick is on a distinguished road

After picking up car today my wife is saying wow steering is different when we stopped she changed setting but still not sure it is what she wants I gather it will take some playing around with options
Lots to learn with all the different settings
What a fun opportunity in front of us

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
carz is on a distinguished road

you need the touring package to get this correct?

if you dont get it....you get the hydrolic steering?
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
maddsiick is on a distinguished road

correct. the touring package includes the direct adaptive steering.
afrosheen likes this.

2014 Infiniti Q50S AWD
Graphite Shadow | Graphite
Nav | Deluxe Touring | Spare Tire | Technology
Welcome Lighting | Rear Spoiler | Rear Splash Guards | Interior Ambient Lighting | STILLEN Roof Spoiler| Infiniti Sport Exhuast
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbert15 View Post
Basically when u flick the drive mode switch, it gives u different presets that changes how the gear shifts and, not sure about this, how the suspension responds as well!

Once u dive in the drive mode settings, what you are changing are your settings for the personal mode! Try out what steering settings best suit! As for the different drive modes, maybe someone can explain it further for u!
It changes transmission shift points and adjusts the DAS steering. The suspension acts the same no matter what, there is no adjustable suspension on the Q50.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
carz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddsiick View Post
correct. the touring package includes the direct adaptive steering.
does that mean if you dont get the touring package....you dont get that switch next to the shift lever?
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by carz View Post
does that mean if you dont get the touring package....you dont get that switch next to the shift lever?
No, you still get the performance changes (transmission mapping/speed, accelerator resistance too I believe). The switch is on every car.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Sinecure is on a distinguished road

The drive mode switch is on every Q50. All hybrids, and any gasser with Deluxe Touring have Direct Adaptive Steering (Steer by wire). Those cars can therefore allow personalization of settings. Personal Mode is just that, personalized. You go to the Drive Mode settings app and customize it. You can set whether the transmission is in standard or sport mode - sport raises the shift points so the car up- and down-shifts at higher rpm's. You can choose how "heavy" the steering wheel feels and also how responsive the steering is. You can also turn on or off Active Trace Control. ATC is a feature on many Infinitis that uses braking of the two inside wheels on a turn to help the car almost 'pivot' around a corner - basically it just makes cornering feel better.

Snow mode - retards throttle response, especially at low speeds. Helps minimize wheel spin when starting in slick conditions. For those of you who grew up driving manual cars in snow, I equate this to starting a car in second gear.

Eco mode - for cars equipped with the Eco pedal, will give a little force-feedback in the gas pedal to basically remind you that the pedal on the right is the one that costs you money. Eco mode will also keep the tranny in standard mode - and I'm not sure, but may make efforts to keep rpms down whenever possible.

Standard - your car will always start up in Standard mode. This seems to be a middle of the road setting. Standard transmission performance, medium 'weight' of the wheel and medium steering response.

Sport - tight, heavy wheel feel and sport transmission setting. As stated above, none of the settings, including sport, affect suspension at all. If your car has an S on the trunk, you have sport suspension. If it doesn't, you have normal suspension.

Personal - see above. Play with the settings to your heart's content.
Q'ed up, carz, nadir and 3 others like this.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV. Click Here to see what customers think of me.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

stevie is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sinecure. So if I have a Premium RWD with Nav only - my only options are Snow, Standard and Sport, correct? Even though it shows me Eco and Personal on my display?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.