26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Harbinger is on a distinguished road
Default Sport vs. Premium

Hey guys, I'm at a cross road in making my decision on what to purchase. I currently have a g37 journey and I was recently offered a lease renewal(upgrade) for the q50. My problem is that I am unsure if I should take the offer for the sport or keep the equivalent--q50--and just have the 19" rims put on the car. What do you guys think? is the exterior and options added seriously worth considering? My g37 is the first infiniti I bought--first car I bought on my own-- prior to my R/t charger and I probably will not change brands again. Having that been said for those who currently own a sport, obviously the q50 will be different from the g37 sport but can you guys/girls explain what changes? outside the exterior? Thank you in advance for the assistance.

Last edited by Harbinger; 05-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.
post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:31 AM

JKWright is on a distinguished road

The major differences are in the suspension and brakes. The Sport models have a firmer suspension tune, which is not necessarily a good thing if you live outside of a country like Germany with pristine roads. Sports also have spiffy-looking Akebono fixed-caliper brakes with huge (~14") rotors -- four-piston in the front, two in the rear. They grab like he-double-hockey-sticks and are quite powerful, but the standard ceramic pads they pair them with are prone to quick (and dangerous) fading under hard use. They're not for the track unless you swap in the Infiniti performance pads, available at the dealership.

Sports since 2005 also include a viscous limited-slip rear differential (VLSD), which is to me the most valuable of all the performance improvements. Infiniti has not announced whether Q50 Sports will still have a VLSD. (I have made no secret here I think they are morons if they leave this out.) You'll also get magnesium paddle shifters. A few preproduction non-Sport Qs have had them as they rotated around the display at various auto shows, but the Q50 build site indicates they're only available on the Sports, and I think that will continue.

Sports also include front seats with more aggressive bolstering and more power adjustments for the driver's seat.

One man's opinion (mine) is that the G/Q is a sport sedan, and sport sedans should be sporty. So I sport mine up to maximum factory sportiness. I do not add wings or spoilers or 22" wheels or 3" drop kits, so the factory Sport tune is as sportified as my car will ever get. YMMV.

That being said, adding the 19" Sport wheels with all-season performance rubber to a non-Sport Q is a mighty tempting option for those of us getting a little older and thin of backside. I did not do that this time around when I settled on a Q50s, but I have a feeling that day is coming sooner rather than later.
afrosheen and MattJB like this.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, if you can wait, I suggest test driving both trims yourself before making a decision.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Sinecure is on a distinguished road

JKWright, by your assessment, you can officially call the Q50 engineers/designers/product managers "morons." No VLSD on the Q50. I hadn't seen this anywhere, but heard it yesterday at a sales meeting.

Harbinger, have you tried sitting in a current S vs. regular G37? Seats are a notable difference. If you're like me and not skinny, you may prefer the non-sport seats.

Suspension difference is noticeable but not huge. Paddle shifters are nice if you like to downshift coming down a slippery hill, but IMO not otherwise a big difference. I don't notice a big difference in braking performance between the two, but the sport brakes definitely look nicer.

As for front bumper difference, I guess the question is whether you want your car to smile or frown.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV. Click Here to see what customers think of me.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute SimpsonTide985 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
JKWright, by your assessment, you can officially call the Q50 engineers/designers/product managers "morons." No VLSD on the Q50. I hadn't seen this anywhere, but heard it yesterday at a sales meeting..
Even if this were true, isn't this now considered Pish Posh either way?

Conversely, I keep hearing that the control and overall performance in the Q50 is better than the G37 in every way. Maybe the VLSD is a thing of the past.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 PM

JKWright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
JKWright, by your assessment, you can officially call the Q50 engineers/designers/product managers "morons." No VLSD on the Q50. I hadn't seen this anywhere, but heard it yesterday at a sales meeting.
Okay. They are morons. I do not feel any better.

I had been holding out hope since the Q50 microsite came out and did not so much as utter a peep about the differential either way. Who knows what they have in mind. Did you drive the car on track day? Notice any inside wheelspin in tight corners?

I suppose I will find out soon enough. If it is brake-based, then it brake-based.

Being a complete non-automotive engineer who also happens to suck at math, I will defer to the overly intelligent Japanese engineers on how to best control wheelspin in a high-performance RWD sedan in 2014. But I'm still calling them morons because that's what know-it-alls like me do.
MattJB likes this.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Sinecure is on a distinguished road

Not sure what pish posh is, but I have heard the same things w/ regard to the performance and handling of the Q50 vs. G37. But if you really want to smoke both tires at once, VLSD may be the only answer. If you want a car that's awesome to drive, get a Q50.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV. Click Here to see what customers think of me.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute afrosheen has a reputation beyond repute

There is one model which is getting the VLSD, and it's going straight to Europe with a 4 cylinder turbo and a 6 speed manual tranny.
toinfiniti likes this.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold brianch is a splendid one to behold

For me the VLSD is the determining factor. I can't drive RWD cars without LSDs- Could just be the way I drive (spirited)
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrp View Post
For me the VLSD is the determining factor. I can't drive RWD cars without LSDs- Could just be the way I drive (spirited)
I hope actually test driving the car will be the true determining factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.