Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Help me make a decision :)

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  iheartq50 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I can't call myself a member yet... but I am getting really close to it and appreciate all the valuable info in this forum.

I am about to make a decision on my next car, I have been driving a 2009 TSX and that lease is up now. I was thinking of going with a BWM 328 Xdrive or an Audi A4. A few family members and close friends have the 328 and hey have nothing bad to say about it, I have also driven it many times and have nothing bad to say about the drive, look, feel, performance etc. except that the interior is nothing crazy and every other car (exaggeration) seems to be a 328 these days.

I was asked to test-drive a 2014 q50 2 weeks ago by a sales guy and I must say it was awesome, inside and out. I loved the interior as I am in to a lot of gadgets and gizmos and just enjoyed the quality of the interior. The car looks great on the outside too so I spent a lot of time researching online reviews etc. it got goo feedback except for the InTouch... now as everyday users of the car how does that impact you? Many people were saying the guide lines when on reverse don't kick-in until the computer is fully booted up (I didn't have a reverse camera on the Acura so I don't think I would care about the lines). Also they said the computer takes over a minute to boot-up, while I can see this can be frustrating I think I can live with it as I understand the boot-up process and don't expect it to work 2 seconds after I'm in the car.

So I just wanted to hear real-life experiences with the car. The good and the bad and what you suggest I should do. I am also entertaining the idea of 2015, has much changed in that regard? Or am I still stuck with the same performance from the InTouch.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you might have answered your own question. Me personally, I prefer the Q50 over a BMW 328.. Interior to me on BMW's look awfully dated unless you opt for a $80,000 plus BMW with a digital tach.. I have a Red Sport 400 so its no comparison really.. It's hard not to smile when those turbos pull you back in your seat and **** near give you whiplash. You spend most of your time in the inside of the car, and my Red Sport 400 has a nice interior. Same thing as the 2014 you are looking at but the Infotainment System has been refined I guess because I'm not experience the "LAG" that a lot of people have been complaining about on earlier models.. My camera guidelines always come on when I'm in reverse. The camera will take a couple seconds max to show. Upon starting the vehicle the boot up takes me less than 20 seconds. I say if you can swing it get the Red Sport 400. Or even a Silver Sport.. YOu won't regret it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the great feedback! What year is your car? I'm assuming they used the same InTouch if it's a 2014 Red Sport. I forgot to mention that I'm looking at the Premium with Nav (the Red Sport is out of my budget unfortunately). Many folks who were complaining about the infotainment system did not have Nav so I'm not sure if that makes a difference?

#4 ·
My car is a 2016. The Silver or Red Sport are only available on 2016+ models. I would look into the Silver Sport as well if budget is a concern. All the complaints I've heard about the infotainment systems are on earlier models I believe 2014-2015. I have NAV in my car and it boots right up in a few seconds. Overall no complaints I've had the car since September of last year. I have about 5600 miles on my car right now.. Car is comfortable, tech is awesome. I have everything on my car except the TECH package which came with stuff I wouldn't really use too often like "Intelligent Cruise Control". I do have NAV,BSM,Forward Emergency Braking, Around View Monitor.. I'm not too crazy about the Bose audio system though I honestly think they could have done a lot better there... Maybe I was expecting more because the Bose in my previous Nissan Maxima was awesome. But honestly, your just going to have to go with what makes you feel good. Just keep in mind you spend most of time on the INTERIOR of the vehicle, not the EXTERIOR ;).

#6 ·
Thanks all! Your feedback was great and I decided to go back to the dealer and spent a good hour in the car... I paired my phone and used the infotainment system the way I intend to (obv spent days researching it's capabilities beforehand). The boot up was much faster than I expected, I would say about 45secs before I could actually engage with the screen, which I really didn't mind as everything else works (i.e hard buttons).

Secondly, the reverse camera and guidelines appeared instantly... literally after I started and shifted to reverse... I did this multiple times to make sure. So I'm not sure what everyone in other threads were complaining about... but I suspect these folks either have zero patience and has no understanding of tech (boot up etc) or just had bad experiences in the very early stages! I do admit there was like a 3-5sec lag between some apps (calendar fir example).

My advice is go in and do your hands-on research... if it works for you then that's all that matters.

That being said I inked the deal and now the proud owner of a white Q50 Premium AWD with tech/nav :) I officially pick it up on Monday and can't wait!!!

Cheers and thanks again for ur help!

#9 ·
Congrats guys on the new purchases! I love my Q50, have had it for a few months and no complaints here only wishlists for mods! :laugh:

#10 ·
Congrats on the purchase!

I've had my Q50 for almost 2 months now and have absolutely no complaints, I love it!

That being said, the only thing I have not figured out yet is text messages... got the gmail to work too. But this also is due to me really not diving in to the set-up and spending time on it. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to go over some of the other feature.. the infotainment/nav has been pretty easy to work with for the most part.

Can't wait for the summer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.