Steering Lockup - CAUTION - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

 403Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Razorburn26 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Steering Lockup - CAUTION

Alright - This is getting a little scary. Today I started my Q50 up, shifted to drive, and started out of my parking spot. I was backed in and needed to turn quick. Steering was overly stiff and then noticed the wheels were not responding. I slammed the breaks and backed back into my spot. Shut the motor off and called the service department (Closed). Restarted the motor and the steering was fine.

This happened at startup and I was able to recover.
Could this happen at anytime?
Has anyone else experienced his problem?

Back to driving the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander till problem solved. No Bluetooth is my first world problem
Razorburn26 is offline  
post #2 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Über Member
 
chicagokevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
chicagokevo is on a distinguished road
Default




Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium AWD [Loaded]
Graphite Shadow w/ Graphite
Splash Guards | Illum. Kick Plates | Hideaway Front Plate | BlackVue 2-ch 1080p HD Dash Cam
Tech | NAV | Spare | All-Weather | Cargo | 3M Crystalline Series 20% Tint

Prior:
2014 Infiniti Q50S
Liquid Platinum w/ Graphite
Splash Guards | Illum. Kick Plates | Michelin PS A/S 3 Tires | Hideaway Front Plate | BlackVue 2-ch 1080p HD Dash Cam
Dlx Touring | Tech | NAV | Spare | All-Weather | Cargo
chicagokevo is offline  
post #3 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Q50 Addict
 
maddsiick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Levittown, NY
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
maddsiick is on a distinguished road
Default

Wow that's a major issue, and you have a Q50 with DAS?

2014 Infiniti Q50S AWD
Graphite Shadow | Graphite
Nav | Deluxe Touring | Spare Tire | Technology
Welcome Lighting | Rear Spoiler | Rear Splash Guards | Interior Ambient Lighting | STILLEN Roof Spoiler| Infiniti Sport Exhuast
maddsiick is offline  
 
post #4 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Q50 Addict
 
cvipgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
cvipgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorburn26 View Post
Alright - This is getting a little scary. Today I started my Q50 up, shifted to drive, and started out of my parking spot. I was backed in and needed to turn quick. Steering was overly stiff and then noticed the wheels were not responding. I slammed the breaks and backed back into my spot. Shut the motor off and called the service department (Closed). Restarted the motor and the steering was fine.

This happened at startup and I was able to recover.
Could this happen at anytime?
Has anyone else experienced his problem?

Back to driving the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander till problem solved. No Bluetooth is my first world problem
BTW do you get to control your computer right after you bootup?
Same applies to Q50, wait 60 seconds before you run off, just a suggestion, I don't know if your sales person told you that?

Q50Hybrid Sport AWD, MB/Graphite fully loaded from factory 8th Infiniti
cvipgo is offline  
post #5 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Razorburn26 is on a distinguished road
Default

I have to wait 60 seconds to make sure I can use my steering wheel? Did anyone from Infiniti test this car prior to selling? How can they market a car that has steering wheel issues like this?

The intouch system freezes.. what is to say the steering isn't going to one of these days doing 80mph?
Young04 and Frederico100 like this.
Razorburn26 is offline  
post #6 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Master Member
 
vices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
vices will become famous soon enough vices will become famous soon enough
Default

Too bad you weren't able to get a video of it, but I probably wouldn't have thought of taking a video too before restarting...
vices is offline  
post #7 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Q50Aggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,949
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold Q50Aggie is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvipgo View Post
BTW do you get to control your computer right after you bootup?
Same applies to Q50, wait 60 seconds before you run off, just a suggestion, I don't know if your sales person told you that?
Sorry man but that is the dumbest thing I've heard today. Wait 60 seconds before you start driving your q50 to make sure your steering works?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
NissLover, maddsiick, jkay and 4 others like this.

TOTALED
2014 Q50S RWD
Black Obsidian / Graphite Interior
Navigation / Deluxe Technology
Q50Aggie is offline  
post #8 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Über Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
NissLover is on a distinguished road
Default

Yea, that is scary and I agree, you should NOT have to wait 60 seconds for steering to kick into action. That is grounds for a serious issue and had it been a different situation it could have been a VERY dangerous situation. Isn't it in this case that the back up steering should kick in? If this becomes more widespread, this will be a horrible recall to try and comeback from...
Frederico100 and JayG35 like this.
NissLover is offline  
post #9 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Q50 Addict
 
cvipgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,961
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
cvipgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q50Aggie View Post
Sorry man but that is the dumbest thing I've heard today. Wait 60 seconds before you start driving your q50 to make sure your steering works?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissLover View Post
Yea, that is scary and I agree, you should NOT have to wait 60 seconds for steering to kick into action. That is grounds for a serious issue and had it been a different situation it could have been a VERY dangerous situation. Isn't it in this case that the back up steering should kick in? If this becomes more widespread, this will be a horrible recall to try and comeback from...
Men when computers bootup- it takes time. Q50 steering is electronic, even in manual system it takes time for oil to oil the gears...Even the human brain neurons take time...
omonline likes this.

Q50Hybrid Sport AWD, MB/Graphite fully loaded from factory 8th Infiniti
cvipgo is offline  
post #10 of 754 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Über Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 725
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
NissLover is on a distinguished road
Default

No matter how you twist it, its a HUGE safety issue to have to wait that long or if it becomes common place for the steering to fail. I have thought plenty of times how I take comfort in how fast I can start my Altima with push button start and get moving in a situation where I needed to get moving quickly.
Frederico100 and Mr. PLP like this.
NissLover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome