• 1 Post By Sinecure

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
lKoRTy is on a distinguished road
Default Windshield defect?

After a few week of driving the new car I started to notice ripple effect when looking at straight lines ahead, whether it's a building or piece of a trip of a car ahead - especially visible during bright sunlight.
Two questions:
1 - all windshields have an acceptable margin of imperfection, so is it possible to 'measure' it and compare, since it would probably be hard to point out to service guys/salesman?
2- could something like that be replaced under warranty?

2014 Q50S AWD Hybrid - old
2017 Q50S AWD RS400 - new
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Q50SHybridAusTex is on a distinguished road
Garage

I'm no expert but I assume that it would fall under warranty as a manufacturing defect. As long as you can demonstrate the defect to your service manager/service tech, you should be good. Good luck!

Current:

2014 Q50 Hybrid Sport
2016 QX80 Limited

Previous:

2012 M37 Sport
2013 QX56
2006 M35
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Sinecure is on a distinguished road

Are you wearing polarized sunglasses when you see this? Not saying you're not seeing that, just that polarized lenses have weird effects on auto glass.
rpiotro likes this.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV. Click Here to see what customers think of me.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
pac_4_ever is on a distinguished road

Also, if they were to replace anything under warranty, I don't think they will be ordering an OEM windshield from Japan, so you will likely get something that is 'aftermarket' out here in NA. Whether that bothers you or not is up to you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

We have OEM windshields available here. They are more expensive, but from what we've seen, if you have rain sensing wipers, it is worth getting the OEM glass. Sensors don't seem to stay attached to non-oem glass as well - judging from the dozen or so Q50 windshields we've had replaced at our shop over the past 3+ years.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV. Click Here to see what customers think of me.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
lKoRTy is on a distinguished road

No glasses, in fact - the opposite. When I put the sunglasses on - the effect reduces. I'm half contemplating it could be my eyes going to ****, so still checking with other people whether they see what I see lol.

I had one of the windshields replaced before on previous cars and the brand was pilkington. That time I wish I would have kept driving with a cracked one - way too many ripple when looking to the side.

2014 Q50S AWD Hybrid - old
2017 Q50S AWD RS400 - new
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
pac_4_ever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
We have OEM windshields available here. They are more expensive, but from what we've seen, if you have rain sensing wipers, it is worth getting the OEM glass. Sensors don't seem to stay attached to non-oem glass as well - judging from the dozen or so Q50 windshields we've had replaced at our shop over the past 3+ years.
How much do you charge for OEM windshields ($USD)? I want to know so I get a rough idea of what they would charge me here in $CAD because where I come from, it is only a matter of time before I see a significant crack in my windshield too (already had some chips which were visible 2 months into owning the car).

I also want to know what brand they use as OEM? My previous experience with Nissan (my Maxima) had "Nissan Carlex" windshields but last I remember, this Infiniti did not say anything like that for branding/labeling..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac_4_ever View Post
How much do you charge for OEM windshields ($USD)?
No idea. Not my department. I just sell the cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.