Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Burger Tuning JB1 Reviews

166K views 470 replies 81 participants last post by  marmot_san 
#1 · (Edited)
To anyone who has the JB1 Stage 1 from Burger Tuning, I would like to ask you to rate your experience on a few categories. I've seen some people, on the forums and in my own life, who are worried about using the JB1 on our cars. If you have the Burger Tuning Stage 1, would you mind giving a 1-5 stars on each of these categories? Mine comes in Today, July 29th, so I will also be editing this post after about a week of driving with it installed.

Performance Gains:
Ease of Install:
Price:
Estimated Reliability:
Overall Impressions:

P.S. When I run mine, I will be using it on a 3.0T Premium with a custom Catback Exhaust, K&N Drop in filters, and upgraded wheels and tires (Pilot Super Sport 18's) @ 4psi.

Having Driven with it on for about 200 miles, I think I can make my review now.

Performance Gains: 9/10 There is a clear performance increase, and I roast my tires if I floor it from a stop. and once you get going, it is noticeable how much faster it is.
Ease of Install: 10/10 Took me about 5-10 minutes to install everything and route the wires.
Price: 10/10 Nothing beats this value for price per performance.
Estimated Reliability: 7/10 I'm giving 7/10 as an average score. No one that I know of has any long term driving with it on their cars, so until I go a few thousand with it, this will remain a 7.
Overall Impressions: 9/10 It really is a great product so far. As long as it doesn't cause me any problems in the future, I think it should be worth it for those who don't want a full tune, but want more power.

P.P.S. I run this at 4 PSI because I only have 91 octane near me. From what I've heard, the better octane you have, the higher your boost can go, or the safer it is to use at lower boost levels.

Update: Still have this on my car at 4 PSI Boost with 91 Octane. 700 Miles so far and no problems.

See less See more
#237 ·
hoping someone can direct me to the right place or even help me out. I have had my jb1 installed for a few months now. I just installed my jb4 rev3 bluetooth kit and got it all connected. Not really sure how to use it with the app. I noticed on map 1 when i go to user adjustment settings everything says zero. Is that supposed to be like that? do i need to update the firmware? if so how do i do that, and how do i adjust to +5? also what gauges work with the jb1, and what are all those gauges for? i don't even know what half the abbreviations are (boost, boost 2, ignition1,2,3,4 that stuff. hopefully someone can break this all down for me so i know what i am doing.

#238 ·
Recommend you read the first post at the n54tech forum: Infiniti Q50 3.0t VR30DDTT Red Sport and Silver Sport BMS Stage1 & JB4 BETA - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

JB1 only sets additional boost, and uses the Default Wastegate position to determine when the boost is added. I believe that the only user settings that are applicable to the JB1 are Boost Safety (used to set the amount of additional boost, JB1 default is +3psi) and Default Wastegate Pos (used to control when when the extra boost kicks in, default is 30, if you raise the boost, you may want to increase the DWP to account for the additional boost.

All the other fields in the User Adjustment Settings are applicable to the JB4.

Only boost is logged from the JB1. I'm not certain, but it could be that only the Map and Boost gauges display data.

#242 ·
JB1 Install

So far, so good. Installed a few weeks ago. Annnnd now I've got the mod bug. >:D Its leased so we wont do anything crazy, next up is the new Helmholtz exhaust then maybe upgrade to a JB4 and possibly an intake if they ever come out with one that isnt a nightmare. (cough, Stillen)

Installation was very easy except for a rogue pin that needed some adjusting. Easy to fix. Whole thing took 5 mins.
Noticeable power increase after 3000 RPM, the car now gently throws your torso into the back of your seat.
Only thing holding this car back now are the Dunlops.:(

#243 ·
Update. im in a 18 q50 awd silver sport. Helmholtz exhaust, jb1, and k&n drop ins. i went ahead and bumped up the boost to +5 and wastegate at 35. I run on 93 octaine. The car is amazing. Turbo spwool is loud as F***. power difference you feel off the back. ive gone about 50 miles on this so far and couldn't be happier!

#249 ·
map5 is +6

#251 ·
#262 ·
Since the AMS heat exchanger is now officially sold through Infiniti, I don't think it should be much of an issue. Although, based on your description, I would probably avoid your dealership and have someone else do the installation. You should be able to do it yourself if you don't mind turning a few wrenches, have access to a compressor and an airlift kit.

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/di...849-red-alpha-heat-exchanger-21410-alphe.html

#265 ·
PM sent

#264 ·
Can you ship to a UPS store outside of CA and just pick up?

#266 ·
eBay is having a 20% off everything sale. So you can get the JB1 for about $303!! or JB4 for about $383

They are accepting offers, so maybe even cheaper

Code: PSPRING20

But hurry it ends at 8PM PST!!

#270 ·
I don't know if anyone posted this question yet but is there a point to get Rev3 if you're doing just stage 1? I won't be changing the maps I just wanted to know if its worth the extra $140 or if it makes any sense to get it. Also if anyone has any personal reviews on the pro's and con's of the JB1 I'd appreciate it.

#271 · (Edited)
Also if anyone has any personal reviews on the pro's and con's of the JB1 I'd appreciate it.
My take on the JB1 with just a simple 3psi bump is it's about the best bang for the buck in additional usable power that I've seen. I've had heavily modified and tuned cars in the past and typical flash tunes on the ECU are awesome and will definitely yield more power and in many cases smoother power, but that is not what I was looking for on my Red Sport.

The JB1 is stupid simply plug and play. The power down low by adding torque as it does is just what the car needed and the JB1 delivers. You'll notice it instantly. It will take you a few days to a week to get used to how it applies the power as it can seem a bit abrupt at first but you and your right foot will enjoy it once you realize how it's applied. It certainly makes using the paddles more enjoyable as the car is far more responsive.

The easy install and removal makes it great for when you need to take the car in for service. That said, the service manager at my dealer is aware that I was looking at it and he said he didn't care so long as I took it off so the techs wouldn't see it. He is very famliar with the platform and he said 3psi is fine and wouldn't hurt anything. The key is just not to push the turbos beyond efficiency up top in the rpms and 3psi barely does and given that's not the rpm range we live in, I'm good. It's also not going to really max out the cooling system so unless you're doing back to back to back runs in 90+ weather, you'll be fine there too.

Again, I was just looking for added torque as I was used to a modified supercharged car where gobs of torque were instantly on-tap. Also, just something a little better than stock so I'm not on the road with other Red Sports that mine wasn't able to stand out a little from. Silly but achieved.

That's my quick take.

#272 ·
I've had my JB1 on for a couple months now at the default setting of 3 PSI and given the fact that the only pump gas readily available in my area is 92 octane with 10% ethanol, I will take the advice of BMS to keep the boost at 3 PSI for the best RS performance with no issues. I'm not about to mess with octane boosters just to set the boost up any further as I'm not into tracking the car or street racing.

The JB1 has no downside that I've seen so far. Without a doubt, this mod is the best bang for the buck you can buy. The low-end torque improvement is certainly noticeable using the old butt dyno.

The JB4 provides better customization of how the boost is applied and I may get that upgrade for $100 and even get the REV 3 to simplify updates and changes but for now, the JB1 has more than met my expectations.

Reactions: vr30_skyline
#273 ·
My apologies if this is not in the for sale section, but that thing doesn't get a lot of views.

I will be selling my JB4 with the Bluetooth connect kit soon. So if anyone is interested, just PM me.

#278 ·
In case something like this happens to you while using a JB1...

Wife was driving home and she got a CEL and said the engine did some "weird" things but continued to drive home. At the same time, I got a text message from Infiniti InTouch Services telling me that the car had a CEL and I should take it in. After she got home I plugged in my WiFi OBD2 module and checked the codes.

I got three codes:

Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor "B" Circuit Range/Performance

Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor "B" Circuit High

Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance

I immediately suspected that there was a socket/connector problem with the JB1 harness as the plugs they use are rather cheap compared to OEM connectors. "B" side would be the right side of the engine so I removed the JB1 entirely and inspected the "B" side harness connector. One of the pins had been pushed partially back in the connector and the pin wasn't completely seating when connected. I had removed the JB1 a few days earlier as I took the car into the dealership for some warranty work and didn't want it on the engine when they did an inspection.

When I reconnected the JB1, I must have pushed the male pin back enough so it barely connected. It must have thermally cycled enough times to work its way back enough to break the connection and throw the codes. I reseated the pin in the socket so that it stuck out as far as the other pins and reconnected everything. Cleared the codes and started the car. No CEL. I drove it hard and there was no CEL thrown.

I'm glad I had the DashCommand app and a WiFi OBD2 module to figure out what was going on. I live 130 miles from the Infiniti dealership so stopping by isn't a simple thing to do.

Only thing that concerns me now is training the wife to know what a CEL warning light means and not just to continue driving...

#279 ·
In case something like this happens to you while using a JB1...
Only thing that concerns me now is training the wife to know what a CEL warning light means and not just to continue driving...
Hah good luck with that one, I recommend lots of wine and a foot massage while explaining.

Reactions: Q60 I²
#283 ·
so if

3.0 T silver sport runs 8.7 psi

Red Sport 14.7 psi

With Ecutek runs 20-21 psi

why can't you run

4-5 psi on a Red Sport = 18-19 psi

6-7 psi on a 3.0 Silver sport = 14-15 psi

I would say those are safe numbers.

#284 ·
so if

3.0 T silver sport runs 8.7 psi

Red Sport 14.7 psi

With Ecutek runs 20-21 psi

why can't you run

4-5 psi on a Red Sport = 18-19 psi

6-7 psi on a 3.0 Silver sport = 14-15 psi

I would say those are safe numbers.

Keep in mind it’s not just about the boost. You need to care about timing and fuel among others. The piggy back tune only allows boost increase that you can churn out of the stock map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#287 ·
So, I'm sure this has been asked repeatedly but I might have a new question :gasp:

I'm leasing my Q50 silver sport, so I've tried to keep mods to a minimum. I've decided that I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the JB1/4 since it seems pretty simple to remove for service times and not as easy to track as an Ecutek or Uprev tune are.

I've unfortunately got the Progressive Snapshot since Progressive was a whole $60 cheaper per month than anyone else. That has to stay plugged in. Does JB1/4 need to be plugged in at all times or only when I flash each map?

#288 · (Edited)
#305 · (Edited)
I have the upgrade kit for the JB4 but am running the JB1 for the moment, I would say go for it now! Purchase the JB4 later, YES its worth it when it comes on OMG its awesome. Puts a smile on my face every time. BOOM off she goes, catches passengers off guard big time. I mean the car is intense as it is but with the JB1 even at 3PSI its FUN! At 4/35 on 94 Octane now. Never before have I got so much out of an upgrade as I did with this! For the price its a must have for the medium enthusiast. For the extreme guys a full ECU re-map is better i would think. But I just wanted that extra edge and I got it also it is so easy to install.

I loved my 3.7 I could not wait to drive it again. However this 3.0 RS I now find myself coming up with any excuse I can to get that next g-force in the seat blast LOL.>:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.