Mishimoto's 3.0T Catch Can R&D Thread - Page 36 - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

 96Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #351 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Q50 Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Sure there are. The question is, do they come in a kit that's as well sorted as this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFittyRS View Post
Aren't there other catch cans besides the Mishimoto? .... yes I realize this is the Mishimoto thread.

What JBear said above. Either spend the money or spend the time to figure out where to mount it and buy the other needed hardware.

You can also get the cheaper (generic) Mishimoto can but you'd still have to figure out where to mount it. There is another catch can thread here in case you need some guidance.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
q50adix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #352 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Master Member
 
VR30infection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Those oil look normal to me. It isn't as much as in the other bank and under engine operating temp, most of that oil is suspended anyway. But yes, it will still build up gunk on the intake overtime albeit rather slower compared to the other side.
What is ďnormalĒ ?

Oil atomization sucked through the intake is totally ďnormalĒ on all modern cars. But, if it were on a scale from 0-10, I personally would like 0. Some may be happy with a 2,3,or 4, as long as they get ďmostĒ of it.

Those pics are of the intake tube that sits vertically. For a vertical tube to actually puddle oil on the turbo outlet, I think it would have to be quite a bit.

2018 Liquid Platinum Q50 Luxe AWD

Drop in K&N/Lower down pipes/ Y Pipe
RS-R Down Sus/ Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 +45
Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
VR30infection is offline  
post #353 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Q50 Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
 
Default Mishimoto's 3.0T Catch Can R&D Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR30infection View Post
What is ďnormalĒ ?



Oil atomization sucked through the intake is totally ďnormalĒ on all modern cars. But, if it were on a scale from 0-10, I personally would like 0. Some may be happy with a 2,3,or 4, as long as they get ďmostĒ of it.



Those pics are of the intake tube that sits vertically. For a vertical tube to actually puddle oil on the turbo outlet, I think it would have to be quite a bit.


Normal to see traces of oil there. And you are tuned. I think common observation of tuned Q owners to see more oil than those stock ones.

And the pooling you saw was in the connection point / top of the hose, of course itíll collect there overtime. Do you have pics at the bottom of the intake duct? Thatís right where the vapor enters but i doubt youíd see as much oil there.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
q50adix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #354 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Master Member
 
VR30infection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Normal to see traces of oil there. And you are tuned. I think common observation of tuned Q owners to see more oil than those stock ones.

And the pooling you saw was in the connection point / top of the hose, of course itíll collect there overtime. Do you have pics at the bottom of the intake duct? Thatís right where the vapor enters but i doubt youíd see as much oil there.
I think you missed my point altogether. Itís also normal to have the pcv connected without a catch can. Iím trying to figure out how to bring it from a 10 to a 0, not from a 10 to a 3 and call it normal. I think the only way will be to vent to atmosphere. Technically not smog legal, but the only way to completely get rid of oil ingestion.

2018 Liquid Platinum Q50 Luxe AWD

Drop in K&N/Lower down pipes/ Y Pipe
RS-R Down Sus/ Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 +45
Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
VR30infection is offline  
post #355 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 1,880
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR30infection View Post
I think you missed my point altogether. Itís also normal to have the pcv connected without a catch can. Iím trying to figure out how to bring it from a 10 to a 0, not from a 10 to a 3 and call it normal. I think the only way will be to vent to atmosphere. Technically not smog legal, but the only way to completely get rid of oil ingestion.


Well youíre the one who quoted me. Iím just trying to say my opinion on the oil found there. I might have missed your point but itís on purpose of course Ďnormalí is subjective.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
q50adix is offline  
post #356 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Master Member
 
VR30infection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Well youíre the one who quoted me. Iím just trying to say my opinion on the oil found there. I might have missed your point but itís on purpose of course Ďnormalí is subjective.
Funny, I thought I had quoted your comment about MY picture?

Yep, thatís what happened, I just checked.

lol. This place is fun!

Letís recap:

Me: look, here is a pic proving that the turbos are sucking blow by, I donít like it.

You: thatís normal

Me: ďthatís normalĒ I understand itís normal, but I still donít like it.

You: (ignore). Itís normal

Lmao.

2018 Liquid Platinum Q50 Luxe AWD

Drop in K&N/Lower down pipes/ Y Pipe
RS-R Down Sus/ Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 +45
Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
VR30infection is offline  
post #357 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
JBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
 
Default

This interaction seems completely normal.

-Jess
2019 Iridium Blue Q50S AWD
JBear is offline  
post #358 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Q50 Addict
 
JohnInNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SW New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
 
Garage
Exclamation

Just a fyi.
The catch can bracket is in the way of the Tanabe Strut Tower Brace driver's side STB mounting brkt. I just took delivery today of the Tanabe STB today.

I'd rather keep as is, than try to relocate, or lose the catch can. Back goes the STB. Uggg. To bad as the Tanabe STB looks VERY nice!

I was really looking forward to trying it out too. 😕

The catch can is more important to me than a STB.
JohnInNH is offline  
post #359 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Member
 
u1arunit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Aliquippa, PA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
Just a fyi.
The catch can bracket is in the way of the Tanabe Strut Tower Brace driver's side STB mounting brkt. I just took delivery today of the Tanabe STB today.

I'd rather keep as is, than try to relocate, or lose the catch can. Back goes the STB. Uggg. To bad as the Tanabe STB looks VERY nice!

I was really looking forward to trying it out too. 😕

The catch can is more important to me than a STB.
Well that sux.

Any idea if it'll fit with the Megan STB? I just installed mine today.. Catch can is on B/O until end of May.

-Mark
2019 Q50 Silver Sport in Obsidian Black
Mods: Carbon Tint, Sport Pedals, Stillen RSB, K&N Drop-ins, AMS HE, Radiant Grille Emblem, Infiniti Spoiler, Proclip..
Coming Soon: SOHO LDPs, SOHO CBE, and BS Tuning ECUtek Tune!
u1arunit is offline  
post #360 of 380 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Q50 Addict
 
JohnInNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SW New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 1,760
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by u1arunit View Post
Well that sux.

Any idea if it'll fit with the Megan STB? I just installed mine today.. Catch can is on B/O until end of May.
No clue. It doesn't look promising as the can is so close to the area the STB bracket mounts. Also, the stiffener bar hits the top of the catch can mounting brkt..
JohnInNH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome