24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Garage
Default Oil and filter change DIY

Did my first DIY oil and filter change (on this car) along with two new air filters.

The air filters were likely the originals with 35K on them. Absolutely filthy, including the air boxes.

Took the 2 piece air boxes off and thoroughly hosed off/cleaned all the dirt and bug debris.
This was primarily on the air intake side of the filter housing, attached to the radiator support.
There was very little dirt that made it past the filter to the side with the hose attachment. There was some though.

Be VERY careful when cleaning out that side as the "hot-wire" airflow sensor resides there and they tend to be fragile.
I suppose one could carefully remove them and then clean the airbox.

As far as the oil and filter change, it was very straightforward.
I did refer to this before starting:
https://q50tech.blogspot.com/2013/10...initi-q50.html
just to see if there were any potential "gotchas" in the process. Nope, easy-peasy.

Followed that how-to pretty closely, but deviated slightly in a couple spots.
I used a Fram XG (Ultra Synthetic) filter XG6607 instead of the Nissan filter as I'm not worried about warranty at this point.

The blog poster mentioned "panels left hanging down" from the quick-change oil places and sure enough, all 3 of the plastic push-pin retainers were missing from my splash panel, allowing it to sag down about 3 inches and no doubt flop at speed.
Had some miscellaneous ones laying around the garage of the correct diameter, pushed them in, no more sag.

My point with all of this is:
I'm a fairly experienced DIY wrench/gearhead, but no one that knows how to operate a ratchet wrench and properly lift and support a car should be afraid to tackle their own oil and filter change on these cars.
Save some money and have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right.
akuhn235 likes this.

'15 Q50S AWD. Bose, Nav. No Tech, No DAS.
Stock 19's spaced 20mm, 255/40 Conti DWS-06, Megan Racing strut brace.
ARK Grip cat back exhaust, minor cosmetic doo-dads.

Last edited by QFiveOhEss; 06-30-2019 at 05:54 PM. Reason: corrected Fram filter type
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:10 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)

Fram...where dafuq is the cringe smiley?
rpiotro likes this.

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Seriously?
Where dafuq is the filter snob smiley?

It's a freakin' Nissan, not a McClaren.
Sometimes I think you guys think you're driving sports/race cars.

Show me where they are categorically any worse than any other filter and maybe I'll consider upgrading a disposable item.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:58 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QFiveOhEss View Post
...I used a Fram XG (Extra Guard) filter XG6607 instead of the Nissan filter as I'm not worried about warranty at this point....
Or much of anything else.
Pillboy likes this.

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiotro View Post
OK, what am I missing here? Why the hate?
Again I'll ask, show me where Fram oil filters have been proven to be sub-standard or have been shown to have caused premature engine wear or death.

If people want to allow themselves to be swayed by internet smack-talking, sky-is-falling, wolf-crying, OMG my filter killed my motor mush mouths, so they can justify purchasing whatever else, or just pile on some anti-this or that bandwagon, so be it.

I'll continue to use my Fram filters purchased at Wal-Mart, on sale, the same filters that have protected at least 6 vehicles I've owned with
over 250K miles, one of which with 302K, all with regular oil and filter changes.

In the meantime, I'd like to direct your attention here:
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2019/01/24...ters-any-good/

From the above:

"Think about it, if Fram oil filters were as disastrous as people made them out to be, class action lawyers would have a field day with how much money they could make through a class action lawsuit with so many ruined engines. But, Fram still makes oil filters and people are still buying them with no issue."

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Über Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Again I'll ask, show me where Fram oil filters have been proven to be sub-standard or have been shown to have caused premature engine wear or death.

If people want to allow themselves to be swayed by internet smack-talking, sky-is-falling, wolf-crying, OMG my filter killed my motor mush mouths, so they can justify purchasing whatever else, or just pile on some anti-this or that bandwagon, so be it.

I'll continue to use my Fram filters purchased at Wal-Mart, on sale, the same filters that have protected at least 6 vehicles I've owned with
over 250K miles, one of which with 302K, all with regular oil and filter changes.

From the above:

"Think about it, if Fram oil filters were as disastrous as people made them out to be, class action lawyers would have a field day with how much money they could make through a class action lawsuit with so many ruined engines. But, Fram still makes oil filters and people are still buying them with no issue."
Hey bud it's your car you do what's best for you, no different when Infiniti sold the exhaust, I thought it was a waste of money.
rpiotro likes this.

2017 Red Sport 400, Megan LDP, Custom Exhaust, JB1 at +3. Chrome Delete.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)

Quote:

From the above:

Personal experience. The ONLY filter I ever had leak on me was a Fram. Not just once but twice. ...screw me twice, shame on me. The only filter I would use is the OEM one, a Wix, AC Delco or Mobil One. It is an expensive car. Why would I care about saving a buck on something as important as an oil filter?

There are some in depth comparisons out there. And NOT from industry insiders.

https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)

I used to run Frams way back when I was young and driving cheap cars and never had any issues with them - of course back then if you made it to 100k it was somewhat of a miracle. I've seen too many dissections of oil filters on the internets, and even my non-engineer background can see the quality difference of the internal components used. I've gone back to using OEM filters for the past couple of decades - I think the last aftermarket filter I bought was for the '88 Cherokee and we got rid of that in 2001.

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Personal experience. The ONLY filter I ever had leak on me was a Fram. Not just once but twice. ...screw me twice, shame on me. The only filter I would use is the OEM one, a Wix, AC Delco or Mobil One. It is an expensive car. Why would I care about saving a buck on something as important as an oil filter?

There are some in depth comparisons out there. And NOT from industry insiders.

https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm
Thanks for the sane reply.
I completely understand the personal experience aspect. I tend to stay away from products that have failed me as well.
My experience is different from yours.

The study you cited above is at least 16 years old based on the copyright date.
IF Fram's website is to be believed, their oil filters have undergone some major changes in recent years...for whatever that's worth.

I had intended this thread to be aimed at "new" owners of all the '14-'15's that are seemingly flooding into the used market recently.
Had I known it would immediately degenerate into an oil filter debate, I wouldn't have posted it. (Or just withheld my filter choice.)
I didn't realize, but suppose I should have guessed, that oil filter loyalty is right up there with oil brand.

Say....what kind of oil do you guys use??

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Fram XG6607 is the Ultra Synthetic filter, not Extra Guard.
Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters are actually very good.
I use the Fram XG7317 (a bit longer than the XG6607) with 3-5k oil/filter change intervals.

Comparison of Fram oil filters:

Fram Ultra cut open after 7k miles:

There are many Fram Ultra reviews on bobistheoilguy.com forum as well.
QFiveOhEss likes this.

2014 Q50 AWD Hybrid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in