66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #101 of 123 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Might take him a while before he can get his hand on his car though. Serpentine belt issue and maybe piston rings would need to be replaced as well.
The "I am burning oil" gave me pause. Makes sense now.

2017 Iridium Blue Q50 RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 123 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:46 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)

~600 miles, 5ml (0.16907 oz) of oil collected. Much less than I expected TBH and it's been 4k miles since my last oil change but no apparent or observable loss in oil level (via dip stick).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	occ_5ml_upload.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	80089  
BigHeadClan and Loring like this.
post #103 of 123 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)

not losing much oil is not a terrible thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Q50 Addict

Just an update, this is what I collected 1000 miles after the last drain. I noticed that the oil the dealer put in becomes more volatile after 4k miles. This isn't the same observation I had when using my own oil though. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Occ_1k - Copy.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	80817  

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
post #105 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:23 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Just an update, this is what I collected 1000 miles after the last drain. I noticed that the oil the dealer put in becomes more volatile after 4k miles. This isn't the same observation I had when using my own oil though. YMMV.
Hmm so about 100ml per 10,000 miles... Not all that bad most things considered, I'd be curious if different types of oil show more/less production.
Your running 5W30 right Q50adix?
q50adix likes this.
post #106 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 PM
Q50 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Hmm so about 100ml per 10,000 miles... Not all that bad most things considered, I'd be curious if different types of oil show more/less production.

Your running 5W30 right Q50adix?

Yes. So hereís a couple of personal observation i have (none of this is scientific by any stretch):

- when i bought the car @5k, oil was just filled with 0w20
- @10k, 0w20 oil was dirty yet still smooth revving and quiet but decided go for an oil change at infiniti. They put mobil 5w30. Engine was noticeably a tad noisier
- @15k, noise at cold start for about 5-10 sec and noticed oil level was a few mm below the H line. Dealership said they wonít change it as itís only been 5k miles since the last service. So i bought my own 0w20 from costco and replaced it. It was smooth and quiet again.
[email protected], oil was still good, no apparent decrease in oil level. I wanted to bring in the car for the ECM recall (reprogramming) and local infiniti has a coupon ($15 off oil change) so i thought why not. I also had them replaced my diff oil. Unfortunately, they forgot to do the ECM update but thatís another story.
- @24k, this is right around when i installed OCC and noticed a decrease again in oil level. Drained it and replaced with castrol 5w30, same noise level as dealer oil and itís only been 1.5k miles since. No consumption issues or anything yet. I will inspect the OCC in about 500miles from now.

Note: the apparent engine noise is normal. 0w20 is just noticeably more quiet than 5w30. Also i have not observed decrease in oil level within 5k miles when using mobil 0w20. I canít speak for anything over 5k as my OCI never gone over that range yet.
IridiumRS400 likes this.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
post #107 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)

Garage

Aye going to a thicker oil tends to make start ups a bit noisier since the oil needs to be worked harder to get moving in the engine, I suspect the bit of oil decrease is down to driving habits more so than anything else.
But kind of hard to speculate, it could be the thinner oil is leads to less pressure in the crank-case and not being squeezed past a seal somewhere in the engine.

Honestly couldn't say, still as long as the oil consumption doesn't get out of hand no biggy really. The VQ engines had their own bit of oil consumption especially as the Mileage started to climb.
post #108 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Q50 Addict

yeah, I expected this engine to be burning oil quite a bit but I'm actually glad to see it consumes oil well below my expectation. We'll see how castrol holds up, it's noack value is >10 but it seems like I won't be seeing as much blow-by oil as the dealer's mobil 5w30. I've been deliberately driving the car harder since the last 2k miles and using manual more frequent.
post #109 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)

Garage

So, I changed my oil at 4k. My tiny OCC was about 1/2 full. I checked the outlet side hose and it had no oil. It would appear this little dude is doing his job quite well. I am not getting much oil consumption at this point. I took the @JohnInNH approach to oil changes and go to Nissan with filter and oil in hand. They hand me back the leftovers for top-off purposes.

Side-note: Taking my car to Nissan makes me feel like some sort of celebrity. All of the salesmen and techs come over to check out the RS. It never fails, one of the dudes says something about it being a baby GTR. They are much more friendly and down-to-earth than the Infiniti shop. Plus I don't have to make awkward eye contact with aging, scrawny, yuppie women wearing yoga pants and Northface pull-overs.

Yep... I actually said that.
post #110 of 123 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)

Garage

Scary.. lol... the woman at the infinity dealership.. some hot shot boss of bosses.. had a tight face lift. Butt fat in her lips, and huge implants with a low cut top. God help you if you look!!! If you work there a trip to HR..

My girlfriend stared big time, poked me under the table n giggled. Later my GF says "I wonder how many cars get sold cuz of those" along with other derogatory comments.

She looked so fake.. completely.. "Plastic Fantastic", "Have you seen Polyethrethane Pam"
Looked hard as rocks too. No giggle to her pronounced wiggle.
BigHeadClan and Scary like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in