Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Q50 3.0tt dyno

18K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  jodedor 
#1 ·
Where the heck did all the other dyno posts go? Anyway here is my result of last weeks dyno sesh with seb at Specialty Z.

Mods are...

Z1 lower downpipes
Fast intentions cbe
Burger tuning heat exchanger
K&N drop in filters
Ecutek tune and bluetooth connect
Text Line Parallel Diagram Design

See less See more
#5 ·
#6 ·
Where the heck did all the other dyno posts go? Anyway here is my result of last weeks dyno sesh with seb at Specialty Z.

Mods are...

Z1 lower downpipes
Fast intentions cbe
K&N drop in filters
View attachment 81097
Umm still there?

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/dynos-racing/124379-official-dyno-results-thread.html
Weired....i only see two topics under "dyno and racing "

Text Font Web page Screenshot Line

#8 ·
#7 ·
It's under the sticky'd section you will see it on the full version.

#9 ·

Mods are...

Z1 lower downpipes
Fast intentions cbe
K&N drop in filters
View attachment 81097
Added you to the official list.

#10 ·
Hey guys just had the Dyno testing for my RS, with 94 octane, the first two were really dissatisfied, we took the JB1 off and did much better, still a little low, I have the LDP, and AWD.

Attachments

#11 ·
Wrong thread there Maple if your looking for the main dyno discussion but whatever, the AWD models tend to dyno around 350HP/TQ in stock form so I was expecting
maybe another 10HP/20TQ out of your car thanks to the LDP but it's close enough.

Just to be clear you only had 3 runs total? Because with JB1 and LDP you should be hitting nearly 400HP/430TQ. Was the JB1 connector loose or something? Did you take any logs while it was on the Dyno?

#16 ·
Really need a JB4 to dial in the boost curve and log for knock and ensure coolant/intake temps are within range. Not a fan of the JB1.

#17 ·
There may be something wrong with it, since I took it off yesterday, the car is running better, the numbers are there for an AWD RS, it was very hot yesterday, those who are getting 400+, I'd like to see their Dyno sheets. Stock with just LDP.

#27 ·
This begs the question as to why power was reduced when the JB1 was disabled vs. when it was disconnected?

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#28 ·
True... If it were me, I'd get the bluetooth JB4, and return the JB1 (or sell it.) Just make sure to taper the boost like Avedis53 has on his map 6.

#29 ·
This reminds me of when I drove back from the dealership after they supposedly fixed my SRS problem. They unplugged the JB4 OBDII cable when they did their troubleshooting and didn't plug it back in when they were done. While I was driving back, the car seemed sluggish for lack of a better word. It felt off somehow. When I got home I saw the cable dangling there and plugged it back in. I chalked the car's behavior to not having the boost I was use to but I now wonder if something about how these boost modules interface with the ECU in a disabled state is mucking with the power output. mapleDom's dyno numbers seem to bear this out.

#30 ·
Do you think it's because it's only plugged in one end it runs funky? In comparison to it being removed completely and the wiring harness all reattached?
I'm not quite following you.
How can it run with the box plugged in under the hood, and not connected to the OBTII?

#34 ·
The JB1 gets its 5 VDC power from the MAF sensor connectors when you plug in the JB1 MAF harness. If the JB1 is set on map 0 (Stage 1 disabled), the PCB is still getting power. The question is: Since the MAF signal must pass through the JB1 even if it's disabled, is the MAF signal being altered in any way since the JB1 is still energized? I would hope not but mapleDom's dyno testing makes me wonder about that.

So does the JB4 get its power from the MAF harness or the OBDII connector? I don't know. If it gets it's power from the MAF harness like the JB1, then disconnecting the OBDII cable will still leave the JB4 energized and in the MAF signal path like the JB1.

Interesting questions but I haven't an answer.

#31 ·
Hey John, the difference between the two of them is the JB1, once set you can't play with it. The JB4 you can change as you go, Avadis53 could back me up on this, I can't find my data cable, so for now I'm stuck having it off. I knew there was a problem when I was using the Dragy and getting 6-7 second 0-60.

#32 ·
Yea, but something is rotten in Denmark here. For the cost of a new JB4 vs diagnostics and screwing around. Send it back and upgrade. If Burger replaces or sends it back just sell it. Time is $. And really, the JB4 is a bunch better with its flexability. Boost in Motion probability makes more power than my car does now and he has less mods than I do (for now) and is AWD/JB4.

#33 · (Edited)
If you upgrade from the JB1 to the JB4, Burger will send you the replacement JB4 PCB and OBDII harness for $100. They do not want the JB1 PCB back. You'll also need to buy the larger, all-weather JB4 enclosure for $20 if you want additional protection.

If you think you can buy the JB4 upgrade and then recoup some money by simply buying another MAF harness and selling the JB1, Burger will certainly sell you a MAF harness but will charge you $379 for it. That's how they prevent people from reselling the JB1 instead of having you return the JB1 PCB for the JB4 upgrade PCB.

Oh, and mapleDom, you need to change your signature to read: "JB1 at +0". ;)

#35 · (Edited)
If I understand correctly, the JB4 has to be connected to OBDII for it to work, Avadis53 since you have one, you should test that theory, still can't find my cable, I did a couple of 0-60, big difference in the time, 5.1 and 5.4. Guys there are a number of things that I would like to do on the car, my problem is that the cost for me is three times what you pay for, the JB1 and harness cost me over $600, the Dragy was $240, this is Cunachy money. You all get free shipping.

#36 ·
If I understand correctly, the JB4 has to be connected to OBDII for it to work, Avadis53 since you have one, you should test that theory, still can't find my cable, I did a couple of 0-60, big difference in the time, 5.1 and 5.4.
The JB4 needs OBDII data (eg. rpms) to do it's thing. I'm assuming unplugging the OBDII harness renders the JB4 into a default, no-boost, pass-through state. It should anyway.

#40 ·
Now I'm confused. You should set the JB1 to Map 1 which sets the boost to +3 PSI. Did you do that?

#41 ·
Avedis53, after an hour or so, you were right all along, Mr Ando didn't know what he was saying, then he said you can do it that way. One of these days. Thanks.

#44 · (Edited)
Did you set up your software to read the port that the JB1 is connected to? You have to do that first. Running windows, connect the JB1 and then you would open the device manager and look under "Ports" to find the port the JB1 communicates through. Typically it is "Com 1". Under the JB1 Settings tab, you would enter "1" for the Com Port.

With the JB1 connected to your laptop, select map "1". Under the "User Adjustment" tab, check to see that the Boost Safety is set to "3" for an additional 3 PSI of boost. If it isn't "3" then change it and save the setting. It is not additive...3 is 3 PSI additional boost, not 6 PSI.

#45 ·
Thanks for the heads up I will go step by step on Monday, the weekend my kid and I spent a lot of time together, and can't get much done.

#46 ·
Camping! Hope you have fun. Looks like Avedis53 will get you all fixed up. Excellent!

#50 ·
Speaking of ECU mods. I got my last update from Sebastian at specialty Z today. Uploaded ready for test drive.
He gave me all new maps for 91, 92, and 93/93+.

Supposedly the last update. Dyno when the days get in the high 60's low 70's.

#53 ·
So what does Seb charge for all these additional updates? It sounds like he has a full-time job just doing yours.

#51 ·
MapleDom I hope he has a blast camping Thursday. AND you get your JB1 working. Avedis53 you be da MAN!

#52 ·
Just got off the phone with Cayuga speedway, I was all happy to go to track have not been there since the late 70's early 80's when my brother had the 68 Road Runner, on Thursday, but they are only open Fri,Sat, Sun. My luck.

#54 ·
Uploaded the possibility last tweak. All my octane maps are now updated as well. The "teeth" are back in them. Test ride was good. Took it easy. 27.3 MPG indicated, smooth shifting. It was 89 deg so I used the 92 map on the way home from Chipotle's ? num num.

Can't believe I got the new maps on Saturday! I think Seb works 6 days & some of the nights!! Talk about customer service. ?

#55 ·
So answer my question.

#56 ·
PM sent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.