Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Burger Tuning JB1 Reviews

166K views 470 replies 81 participants last post by  marmot_san 
#1 · (Edited)
To anyone who has the JB1 Stage 1 from Burger Tuning, I would like to ask you to rate your experience on a few categories. I've seen some people, on the forums and in my own life, who are worried about using the JB1 on our cars. If you have the Burger Tuning Stage 1, would you mind giving a 1-5 stars on each of these categories? Mine comes in Today, July 29th, so I will also be editing this post after about a week of driving with it installed.

Performance Gains:
Ease of Install:
Price:
Estimated Reliability:
Overall Impressions:

P.S. When I run mine, I will be using it on a 3.0T Premium with a custom Catback Exhaust, K&N Drop in filters, and upgraded wheels and tires (Pilot Super Sport 18's) @ 4psi.

Having Driven with it on for about 200 miles, I think I can make my review now.

Performance Gains: 9/10 There is a clear performance increase, and I roast my tires if I floor it from a stop. and once you get going, it is noticeable how much faster it is.
Ease of Install: 10/10 Took me about 5-10 minutes to install everything and route the wires.
Price: 10/10 Nothing beats this value for price per performance.
Estimated Reliability: 7/10 I'm giving 7/10 as an average score. No one that I know of has any long term driving with it on their cars, so until I go a few thousand with it, this will remain a 7.
Overall Impressions: 9/10 It really is a great product so far. As long as it doesn't cause me any problems in the future, I think it should be worth it for those who don't want a full tune, but want more power.

P.P.S. I run this at 4 PSI because I only have 91 octane near me. From what I've heard, the better octane you have, the higher your boost can go, or the safer it is to use at lower boost levels.

Update: Still have this on my car at 4 PSI Boost with 91 Octane. 700 Miles so far and no problems.

See less See more
#3 ·
I just figured a central place to find reviews of a product is something that some people might want. The other two posts, that I've read extensively, don't exactly have a lot of people "reviewing" them. And seeing as some people in the posts have expressed concerns about the product in those other two posts, I figured this would be an easy way for the people who are on the fence to look at personal experiences of people who already own and use the product that they are considering buying. If there was a spot on Burger Tuning's site to leave reviews, then I wouldn't exactly have needed to make this post. But seeing that there isn't, I thought it would help spread the knowledge of the product to those considering it, by testimonials from people that own it. Just trying to help out others, because trust me, I knew there was already 2 other posts about this already. Not trying to start anything, :laugh: sorry if I sound that way! Just trying to help others with their potential purchase.

#5 ·
2017 Q50 RS400 with Stillen CBE and CAI, running Stage1 with stock 3psi.

Performance Gains: definitely noticeable with smooth delivery for first 60% of range, then goes nuclear (awesome!) from 4750 to 7000rpm
Ease of Install: piece of cake, seriously, no tools, just lift the engine shield, unclip two connectors, re-clip 4, hide dongle.
Price: for what you're getting and how easy it is plus the customer service/support, it's the best $$$ I've spent on the car.
Estimated Reliability: ZERO issues to date, and I like the fact its FW is upgradeable, and there are several maps to choose from.
Overall Impressions: 10 out of 10 best cash spent with the most noticeable gains and just beautiful power delivery. Easy on, easy off.

YMMV, but I'm a fan - 100% stoked.

#6 ·
Ditto Canucker - early adopter of the JB1 - 3.0T Premium RWD - I've tested with 93 octane pump fuel and a 1:40 ratio blend of E85 and 93 fuel. Absolutely zero issues so far - all the way up to 6.5psi boost. At speed she is a rocket - up in the 4k+ range, hold on. The only change from stock (so far) has been drop-in K&N filters.

#7 ·
Anyone in CA using the JB1 on the crap 91 fuel we have (straight pump fuel, no mixtures or additives)? If so, what is your experience? You know, on the track of course because it's not CARB compliant ;)

#16 · (Edited)
Can you run higher than 3psi boost increase with just the Stage 1 plug in? Is there a way to switch it to 4 or 6.5 without the ECM, (dipswitches)?
All we have around here is 93 octane.

You guys might want to go ahead upgrade your brakes to slotted rotors and high temp pads with all that horsepower.

I roasted my pads and rotors easily at 14,000 miles, on stock motor.

I very happy that I decided to go AWD. With these horsepower gains, glad I can put all the power down to the pavement.

#17 ·
I think 3-4psi is at the sweet spot for 93 octane. Do you have the optional cable/software? Think that's the only way to change the params.

Q50 isn't a track car, so unless you repeatedly go slow from triple-digit speed rapidly down to e.g. 40, an average q50 owner won't roast the pads and rotors that quickly. My RS is now at >11k and driven in texas heat for over 6k miles with relatively aggressive braking (aggressive enough for my passengers to complain/say something to me) and i have not yet experienced any brake fade or any issues. But even with that said, i will still be upgrading the rotors and pads as soon as they wear out just as I did to my previous cars. Nothing wrong with stock but the aftermarket brake parts has a lot better to offer.

#27 ·
Update: Since I have changed the DWP from 30 to 40 the power delivery is much smoother and all issues with shifting and such seem to be resolved. On 5lbs over stock and DWP at 40 I raced a C43 AMG the other day and we took it from dead stop all the way to 130 and then 40 rolls to 110-130. Both cars were dead even every run. For those unfamiliar with the C43 AMG it's rated at about 362 horsepower and they say it'll do 0-60 in 4.3-4.5 seconds. Pretty impressive to match that performance in a Q50 Premium Silver Sport with just a $400 stage 1 BMS piggy back tune.

Now, when I first started looking into BMS stage 1, Terry had mentioned on a n54tech forum that if demand was high enough, there was a strong possibility of a jb4 upgrade in the future. I recently revisited the N54tech forum to see that it is actually in the works. Needless to say, I am amazed with BMS as a company in both their skills as performance tuners and their customer service. I would love to see a vendor thread from BMS so that we can stay updated and have a more direct line of communication with BMS.

I will definitely be purchasing the JB4 upgrade once it becomes available, as well as the intakes.

If you haven't already given them a chance or are on the fence about the BMS stage 1 - I would tell you to go for it. Absolutely 0 downsides and everything to gain.

Just my 2 cents. Would love to hear about performance gains from other users. Maybe even dynosheets and further datalogging? I am planning on going up to 7lbs with a E85 mix this weekend so will keep everyone posted with some promising datalogs if all goes well :)

#30 ·
Something iffy about setting 40 on my end. I didnt really notice any lag with setting 35 but now with 40 you can definitely feel it. Most of the power is top end, and I am not liking that. Going to change over to 35 again and do some extended driving to see how it pans out. I think its a good alternative between the two. I might even run 30 since I upgraded the firmware I never even tried that. You definitely feel power loss on the low end with higher settings, and I wouldnt say it smooths anything out - youre just feeling the power more on top end.

#31 ·
Haven't really played with the 35 setting too much. Had it on 35 for about a day or so, didn't really like it as much. In terms of the boost coming on earlier at lower settings - well, that's a given. JB4 is in the works so it makes no sense to keep it at 30 - 35 for me since the transmission was shifting hard in my case. When I say smoother, I mean in terms of my shifts not clunking down. Granted, this could be due to the fact that my car may be one of the ones that could use that ECU update from Infiniti (will be getting this checked out at dealer sometime this month). To my knowledge, JB4 will allow better mapping for tunes so I'm personally hoping that it'll be able to provide power sooner, and run a lot more efficiently. Whether or not this will be the case, only time will tell, but as I've stated before, I have complete confidence in BMS. Do you have any datalogs at the 30 and 35 settings? I would love to compare them with the ones I had when I was set to those numbers.

#32 ·
Question for you and the guys that have changed the settings in the BMS stage 1 piggy back. I currently have mine at the default settings, do you have to make the changes in boost and wastegate while installed in car or can i make the changes first and install it in the car later?

#42 ·
Well after reading all the threads have to say the first thing after my cat back will be the JB1. That is once the motor is broken in picking up my AWD Red Sport I hope this week its coming from BC to Toronto by rail. My 2014 Q50 AWD has been AWESOME and it sounds like this will take me to a new level. I am salivating LOL :)

#45 ·
looking for help from the the guys running the JB4 blue tooth kit on the their JB1. During inital setup using the JB4 app on my iphone, what should the setting look like. how do i set the JB1 to +4 psi on my RS400? what do you think is the best waste gate setting? i know the app has a bunch of stuff that is not usable at this time.

#46 ·
I guess you are staying with BMS ;)

I think the wastegate setting varies based on one's personal preference. I've been seeing from 30 - 40. Once the JB4 becomes available, you'll def have a lot of options.

#50 ·
the link that Hammer663 gave has all the keys for the JB1&4, I strongly recommend reading that thread start to finish.

On my RS, I ran JB1 with the default +3 before upgrading to JB4. To set JB1 to +4psi, set it in the Boost Safety field. DWP = 35 seems popular for those who increased boost. I installed JB4 over the weekend and am running a customized Map 6, tapering boost at low and high RPMs. JB4 BETA upgrade kits are available on the BurgerMotorsports website.

But I recommend reading the N54Tech thread before making any changes to JB1 or before upgrading.

#51 ·
DWP = 35 seems popular for those who increased boost. I installed JB4 over the weekend and am running a customized Map 6, tapering boost at low and high RPMs. JB4 BETA upgrade kits are available on the BurgerMotorsports website.
Note: Once JB1 is upgraded to JB4, JB4 doesn't use the DWP parameter, and can be left at "0", per the Install Guide.

#53 ·
bumping this thread mainly because I'm strongly considering the JB1. How many miles do those here running it have on their clock with it so far? I know it's a newer product but still....any issues or concerns?

How does the stock cooling hold up in warm temps?

#54 ·
i don't think you'd be happy with JB1 TBH. Unless you care about easy install/removal, JB4 is the way to go.

I have not seen nor heard any issue other than the guy who said his JBx is dud out of the box. I believe burger replaced it right away.

Temps are fine, heat soaks just as fast as stock.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#58 ·
I will be once I confirm the JB1 will be a safe and valid system. Still early in my ownership of the vehicle. Well.....lease of it. There's nothing different with a lease as you're just going to pull the piggy back off when you're done. Doubtful you'll turn it in regardless unless the market tanks and the dealer residual buyout is not good.

#64 ·
****....I've gotta get one of these....STAT!

#65 ·
Yes you do. It's awesome. I feel like I have my old Audi back. Instant torque.

It has made manual mode in the RS400 actually enjoyable. I can't imagine how the rear wheel drive only group handles it down low. Mine is all wheel drive and it will kick the backend out in 2nd or 3rd gear

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#66 ·
I drove a loaner Q60 RS while my RS was being serviced that had the Dunflops and RWD. Broke the tires loose leaving the dealership which I'm sure made them a little concerned. Hardly hit the pedal at all. It was wet but still.....

Adding additional HP and torque to a RWD just seems to me to make WOT control a little more dicey. That being said, if anything, the AWD car needs more low-end torque which the Burger seems to provide from what others have posted here.

So before I get out my VISA, here's my constraint. Living out in the sticks in Oregon, I don't have much of a choice when it comes to gas. The local no-name gas station has alcohol-free 93 octane premium for $4/gal. Otherwise, my best choice is Shell V-Power with up to 10% alcohol and a 93 octane number. Given this limitation, will I get my money's worth out of this? Looking at Burger's dyno on the RS using 3 psi boost gives only 20 additional HP and 30 additional ft-lbs of torque using 93 octane gas.

Also, to be sure I'm understanding Burger's hardware, all I would need to start is the Stage 1 that they sell for $379 and plug and play it. Do I need the BMS Data Cable initially? If I wanted to go to JB4 in the future, buy the upgrade kit for $100? Has anyone used the REV3 wireless module instead of the data cable? $140 for a BT dongle seems a little steep.

My finger is ready to pull the trigger, so any comments given my particular situation?

#69 ·
Honestly, it's really not all that bad. I'm RWD and still running the stock Dunlops for a little while longer. Definitely have to be a little more cognizant of your throttle input at angle but WOT in a straight line breaks the rear loose with just a little bit of sideways sway.

As far as the JB goes, we only have 91 octane here and I'm running a JB4 on map 1 (+4 psi). Terry over at Burger has reviewed a few of my logs and said everything looks good. You shouldn't have any issues running the Shell V-Power 93. I have no doubt you'll consider it money well spent after you go for your first drive. You'll be hard pressed to find something else that will give you the same gains for the price of the JB. Have you considered the JB4? Install isn't really that much more involved over the JB1.

All you need to start is the Stage 1. It'll literally take you minutes to install. True plug and play. It comes out of the box on map 1 (+3 for JB1/+4 for JB4), so technically you don't need the Bluetooth module or data cable unless you plan on switching maps, logging, or customizing your settings. I'm running the Bluetooth module. It's very convenient but not a necessity. The upgrade kit is another wire that you have to plug into the harness and a board to switch out inside the casing.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#67 ·
As I understand it you don't need any of the cables but I'd say throw the extra $35 down in-case you run into issues, and yes it looks like you'd need to spend the $100 for the upgrade kit. As for your fuel issues honestly 93 octane is all you should need if you want to push 3-4 PSI and that is plenty
for waking the car up.

Need to remember 20-30HP/TQ may not be a crazy amount but it's all hitting around 2500RPM and is consistent across the rev-range.

#68 ·
My wife is going to think I'm nuts for doing this.....that is if I tell her.

#73 ·
OK...OK....I'm sold! I would agree that it's the best bang for the buck. As for other performance mods, I don't want an exhaust system that draws attention to me. I get the loud exhaust note that some like but I prefer a stealth car that pulls when I want it. This is a reasonable start and I'm looking forward to trying it out. My wife just isn't going to understand the need for it but if I can beat her to the UPS truck and install it while she's out, she'll never know. Until she floors it, anyway...

#74 ·
Just tell her when she notices there was an ECU update that corrected an air flow issue that was preventing the car from using it's full power. :)

#77 ·
I'm being facetious....my wife doesn't care what I do as long as I don't muck the car up or void the warranty. She keeps telling me how much she likes it over our old G37, so I don't want to do anything to mess that up. She definitely nixed my tinted windows plan, so she does have limits.

An ECU update excuse probably won't work because we haven't taken the car in for any service yet. I'll just tell her the truth after the fact. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission anyway...

I've had my eye on an after-market splitter but she nixed this one too.

Attachments

#78 ·
When I showed my wife the tire/wheel swap I was considering when I first bought the car she put her foot down on this one too.

Attachments

Reactions: Q60 I²
#79 ·
Alrighty then....BMS Stage 1 purchased from our buddies at the Tunerz Store with 5% off coupon. May God have mercy on my soul.

#80 ·
It's not God you have to be worrying about I think. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.