LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
Car is at 29k miles. Just looked at the dip stick, it's full. No oil burning after 9k miles.
Yes...while I've never had an oil analysis done, I changed my oil for the first time after 10k miles. My mechanic said I could have easily driven another 5k miles.

As I've posted before, I live in AZ and drive extremely hard (always sport+) in some of the harshest conditions in the country.

I also don't believe in break ins and didn't break this car in. I drove it hard from the get go. Getting my second oil change Tuesday (I have 19k miles on the car now) and will do an analysis for you guys and share the results.

If anyone has a recommendation for oil analysis let me know and I'll use them as long as it's not crazy expensive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)

Garage

I went to school with MANY engineers... In the physics department we shared quite a few classes with them. I'd trust the majority of them with designing things, because they are pretty good at it. Morons are bound to get their degree and build crappy stuff, but they'll probably get put on less important projects, like... Let's say... Trunk struts.

However, it's the physicists, chemists, and lab engineers who determine oil life recommendations based on mean baseline conditions in controlled laboratories, some even more qualified than Nissan master mechanics, or even "Old Joe," (the guy Grandpa used to take his Buicks to, back when he drove Buicks).

But, really, these numbers don't come out of thin air. They're based on research and design, testing, duplication, statistical analysis, thermodynamics, and I'd be willing to bet there's an effin inverse square law in there somewhere (there always is).

If you're changing your oil every 3-5k, then you're indeed simply throwing away money. But if it gives you piece of mind, then, meh, who is anyone to tell you what to spend your hard earned dollars on? From an environmental standpoint, it's probably bad. But China is way worse, so, "no worries mate!"

Here's a decent journal, worth a look, if you're at all interested in the science behind your hobby... Gives insight into testing procedures of motor oil.

http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA419428

Here's a more layman document explaining some of the ideas y'all are hollering about.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tip...-your-oil.html

Yep... I actually said that.

Last edited by Scary; 04-07-2018 at 01:04 AM.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:12 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcatz11 View Post
If anyone has a recommendation for oil analysis let me know and I'll use them as long as it's not crazy expensive
Blackstone Labs:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Send them a request for free sample containers. A recent change - postage is applied to the sample bottle, so the analysis price now includes shipment of the sample to them. Turn-around time is 7-10 business days after receipt of the sample.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 PM
CtK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Garage

I just got an email from South Motors Infiniti in Miami saying my car is due for 5000 mile oil change??

I thought it was every year or 10K miles?? I only have 4000 miles on my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Your_Q50_is_due_for_service_soon.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	77385  

2018 Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Iridium Blue
Ceramic Tint 15% all around and 60% front windshield
Interior lights changed to white LEDs.
Red Ignition Button Ring Cover
Infiniti logo projector door light
Planning: Muffler delete and Plastidip or Wrap chrome trims
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtK View Post
I just got an email from South Motors Infiniti in Miami saying my car is due for 5000 mile oil change??

I thought it was every year or 10K miles?? I only have 4000 miles on my car.

Says that is for tire rotation, which may be true. Doesn't mention oil.
rpiotro likes this.

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package - Proactive Package - BMS JB1
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:43 PM
CtK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by text View Post
Says that is for tire rotation, which may be true. Doesn't mention oil.
DOH!! lol my bad, I switched out the RFT for Pilot Sports 4S. So no need.

Thanks!!

2018 Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Iridium Blue
Ceramic Tint 15% all around and 60% front windshield
Interior lights changed to white LEDs.
Red Ignition Button Ring Cover
Infiniti logo projector door light
Planning: Muffler delete and Plastidip or Wrap chrome trims
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 04:56 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)

Garage

3 k mile oil change is total BS! Break in your car the right way... Then change the oil and filter.

See Lycoming (they build aircraft motors), Cummins, (both have oil fed turbos running more boost then our 3.0T's do), or any race motor builder's break in.

If you use full synthetic you are good for at least 7 K. Some truckers do oil analysis and many go 20+K (with oil filter changes more often) ... Just change filters at 7K in your Q50 and all will be fine.

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in