User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Default engine possibilities

Ok so I was digging around and reading an older thread that seemed to spark some controversy. As some of you know I am a complete noob to this car tune stuff so my main goal is to really sit and read as much as I can from the community that does this as their hobby. One of the main things that attracted me to owning another one of these cars is aesthetics but also what I was seeing some people doing with the engine platform. I may be wrong but from my perspective anytime you mod something to make it perform at a higher pace you would need to reenforce existing structures of what you are putting a heavier demand on. With that said and lets say money was not an issue what kind of things would need to be swapped out, what are the costs of doing this and what is the absolute max you could expect to see.

Lets say for argument sake (again I have no clue about pricing) you dropped x amount into your engine build and got Y WHP and WT gains at some point does it not warrant maybe just moving to a faster stock car? By this I mean if your engine mods plus the original car were the same price as a faster stock car.

edited - for spelling

2019 White Q50s Redsport AWD
Bone Stock

Last edited by boogie; 01-31-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)

Garage

2016+:

W/O tune 407/401, +80 tq @2700, +40 HP @5,000. (So good I almost considered not getting the tune)

With tune: 426 HP/459 Torque, +149 torque at 3000 RPM, +65 HP at 5600 RPM

Rims. $2500
Z1 Front Rotors. $498
Z1 Rear Rotors $648
FI exhaust sys. $3350 (don't skimp on this)
AMS heat exchanger $799
AMS CAI $499 (only need with a tune)
Z1 EcuTek tune. $1115
Stillen sway bar. $250 (well worth it)
Naviks lock out. $175
TuxMats. $248
Z1 LSD. $1598
UHP AS tires+spare N/C
------------
Total Mods $= $11,677
Car $= $38,000
Trade in= $12,000
Down pmt . $2000
Grand total. $63,677
Labor = $600 (add $400)

$64,277 = a $83+K car (Audi S7) for $20+K less
Dealer owes me $600 (will never see it)
For Snow Tires & Rims..
I save on insurance, taxes, and repairs. Also, better MPG and reliability.. Granted the S7 is a better car and has a higher resale.. If I had 10 million dollars I'd be thinking Audi S7

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40 ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, Tuxmats, Stillen rear "Sway Bar" on stiffest, Z1 2 piece front & rear drilled n slotted rotors, AMS RedAlpha heat exchanger, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe + CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +40 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS RedAlpha Intake, Z1 LSD, Naviks Motion Lockout Bypass, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank. EcuTec remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs

Last edited by JohnInNH; 01-31-2019 at 11:04 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
2016+:

W/O tune 407/401, +80 tq @2700, +40 HP @5,000.

With tune: 426 HP/459 Torque, +149 torque at 3000 RPM, +65 HP at 5600 RPM

Rims. $2500
Z1 Front Rotors. $498
Z1 Rear Rotors $648
FI exhaust sys. $3350
AMS heat exchanger $799
AMS CAI $499
Z1 EcuTek tune. $1115
Stillen sway bar. $250
Naviks lock out. $175
TuxMats. $248
Z1 LSD. $1598
UHP AS tires+spare N/C
------------
Total Mods $= $11,677
Car $= $38,000
Trade in= $12,000
Down pmt . $2000
Grand total. $63,677
Labor = $600 (add $400)

$64,277 = a $83+K car (Audi S7) for $20K less
Dealer owes me $600 (will never see it)
For Snow Tires & Rims..
I save on insurance, taxes, and repairs. Also, better MPG and reliability.. Granted the S7 is a better car and has a higher resale.. If I had 10 million dollars I'd be thinking Audi S7
@JohnInNH when you say W/O tune for 2016+ you mean the current RS are producing these numbers at the crank is that correct?

I can totally see what you mean by the cost being 20k less that a S7.

What about in this case as seen in the youtube video. What would it cost to do something like this??

Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie View Post
Ok so I was digging around and reading an older thread that seemed to spark some controversy. As some of you know I am a complete noob to this car tune stuff so my main goal is to really sit and read as much as I can from the community that does this as their hobby. One of the main things that attracted me to owning another one of these cars is aesthetics but also what I was seeing some people doing with the engine platform. I may be wrong but from my perspective anytime you mod something to make it perform at a higher pace you would need to reenforce existing structures of what you are putting a heavier demand on. With that said and lets say money was not an issue what kind of things would need to be swapped out, what are the costs of doing this and what is the absolute max you could expect to see.

Lets say for argument sake (again I have no clue about pricing) you dropped x amount into your engine build and got Y WHP and WT gains at some point does it not warrant maybe just moving to a faster stock car? By this I mean if your engine mods plus the original car were the same price as a faster stock car.

edited - for spelling
Performance mods are a tricky business, they are about exploring the limits of your car and eliminating bottle necks while improving power.
In the case of the 3.0TT engine it can be fairly economical.

For example the Q50's 3.0TT engine runs hot even while stock, so when you start adding in power it produces more heat and thus
the cars cooling capacity the bottleneck so to resolve this you invest in a heat exchanger.

John's numbers are a bit high for a stock Red Sport (I Suspect he had an exhaust prior to dyno ) most people hit-around 375HP/350TQ.
The modifications you need to actually make power on the platform are below with those you can expect about 420HP/450TQ.

Lower Down Pipes $400
Heat Exchanger $799
ECUTek Tune $1100 (or JB4 $500)
------------------------------------------------------
Total: $2,500-$3,000

With that said John's list is a great guide-line on how you'd turn the Q50 into essentially an M3 competitor, but if it was my money
I'd only include the rotors and wheels/tires which would cost about 6K when all is said and done.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3 - Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:13 PM
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
@JohnInNH when you say W/O tune for 2016+ you mean the current RS are producing these numbers at the crank is that correct?

I can totally see what you mean by the cost being 20k less that a S7.

What about in this case as seen in the youtube video. What would it cost to do something like this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uewu3dHImMI
Nah nearly everyone reports Horse Power at the wheel when modifying a car, if you wanted to calculate how much power they make at the crank you add about 15% to whatever
the power is rated for at the dyno.

So in the real world the Red Sports are making closer to 430-450HP at the crank. Infiniti was lying about their power numbers for the car. lol
As for that Red Aplha Q60 build that was shown in the video that likely costs in the 20-28K range in terms of upgrades and parts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Nah nearly everyone reports Horse Power at the wheel when modifying a car, if you wanted to calculate how much power they make at the crank you add about 15% to whatever
the power is rated for at the dyno.

So in the real world the Red Sports are making closer to 430-450HP at the crank. Infiniti was lying about their power numbers for the car. lol
As for that Red Aplha Q60 build that was shown in the video that likely costs in the 20-28K range in terms of upgrades and parts.
See this is the part of car tuning that I find absolutely FASCINATING! So basically for 60k base price plus lets say another 30k in mods you can create this monster, which would be probably close to as fast as the Tesla P100D for 65% of the price.

I have zero experiences dealing with any of these kind of shops, is it safe to say that you could just bring a car to them and they just charge you to build what they have done? My guess is that each shop is trying to put themselves on the map as "the premier" Tune place

Bone Stock
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:00 AM
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
See this is the part of car tuning that I find absolutely FASCINATING! So basically for 60k base price plus lets say another 30k in mods you can create this monster, which would be probably close to as fast as the Tesla P100D for 65% of the price.

I have zero experiences dealing with any of these kind of shops, is it safe to say that you could just bring a car to them and they just charge you to build what they have done? My guess is that each shop is trying to put themselves on the map as "the premier" Tune place
Hard to say if it would be faster how electric cars make power is totally different to a gas powered ones, but yeah it would be about as quick as a Tesla definitely faster in something like a 1/2 mile race.
But you need to take into consideration the reliability, convince, drive-ability, longevity, cost of upkeep and a dozen other things you sacrifice for that power.

Before you start any large build make sure you have a clear idea of what you want out of the car and where you want to take it. If you want a car that you can daily,
have a lot of fun with and keep up with M3's and other high performance cars than John's list he posted is exactly what you need.

If you want to start embarrassing GT-R's , 911's and other cars in a strait line than that's an entirely different discussion.
IridiumRS400 and Osa500 like this.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:41 AM
Über Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)

Quote:
Yes, and here's a link to Infiniti Q50/Q60 tuner packages marketed by AMS Performance (Chicago, Illinois):

https://www.amsperformance.com/q50-a...aged-packages/

Save up your loonies, and send your Q50 to AMS via transport truck for the RA Stage 3 or RA500 Package

A few weeks later you could fly to Chicago, and then enjoy a long drive back to BC.
boogie likes this.

2017 Q60 Red Sport 400 Iridium Blue / Monaco Red
Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Silver Optic Fiber Interior Trim / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC
/ Future: AMS HPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Stillen Rear Stab

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 02-01-2019 at 12:44 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
Yes, and here's a link to Infiniti Q50/Q60 tuner packages marketed by AMS Performance (Chicago, Illinois):

https://www.amsperformance.com/q50-a...aged-packages/

Save up your loonies, and send your Q50 to AMS via transport truck for the RA Stage 3 or RA500 Package

A few weeks later you could fly to Chicago, and then enjoy a long drive back to BC.
At this point our dollars may as well be pesos compared to yours lol. Gonna check out that link now. Thanks for posting

Bone Stock
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

so are these two heat exchangers exactly the same?

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/infini...catalogid=2371

https://www.amsperformance.com/cart/...xchanger.html/

if so I would assume that granted Infiniti dealer installed this they would need to provide some sort of warranty if anything went wrong.

Bone Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in