LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

Garage
Default VR30 Spark Plugs

This is the first time I have ever come across this situation. I literally checked every auto parts store in my area and no one has spark plugs in stock. What Iím looking to do is get Copper core plugs rather than Iridium. It is a common misconception that more expensive plugs do a better job. This is untrue. Out of all the materials used to make spark plugs, copper is the best conductor. What all of these other materials have been used for is longevity. So, if youíre not scared of a little work every once and a while, then replacing plugs with copper plugs and changing them at an appropriate time interval is actually beneficial. Has anyone done this yet? And if so, do you have the brand and part number that you used. Iím also thinking of trying to find one step cooler plug.

2018 Liquid Platinum Q50 Luxe AWD

Drop in K&N/Lower down pipes/ Y Pipe
RS-R Down Sus/ Enkei RPF1 18 X 9.5 +45
Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)

These.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iu-6.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	82699  

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillboy View Post
These.
🤣😂. I remember when those came out.

Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)

Garage

Consider this, your changing your Iridium plugs already and you car has what 20K Miles? Those plugs last upwards of 70K miles, a copper plug is probably
only going to last 4-5K Miles then so you will need to swap them out nearly every oil change.

Not worth the effort I'd at least stick with Iridium, although spark plugs are very much a "OEM only" part in my books. If I was going
to swap to any other brand it would be NGK.
mva, mapleDom and Pillboy like this.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

ďPassion rules reason, for better or for worse.Ē - Terry Goodkind
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR30infection View Post
🤣😂. I remember when those came out.
You're older than I thought you'd be.

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Consider this, your changing your Iridium plugs already and you car has what 20K Miles? Those plugs last upwards of 70K miles, a copper plug is probably
only going to last 4-5K Miles then so you will need to swap them out nearly every oil change.

Not worth the effort I'd at least stick with Iridium, although spark plugs are very much a "OEM only" part in my books. If I was going
to swap to any other brand it would be NGK.

I believe (from my research) the OEM plug is NGK. I understand thinking to stick with OEM, however if you do a little bit of spark plug research, you will find that itís not that big of a deal. Also. When increasing power output of a given engine which increases heat, there are benifits to running one step colder plug. Also, copper plugs are not going to die every 5k.
They should last about 20k however I will probably change them every 10-15. At only $3 a plug, itís no biggie for the added conductivity.

Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillboy View Post
You're older than I thought you'd be.
Not sure if I should be offended or not. But Iím too old to care so... lol
mapleDom, Sentorial and Pillboy like this.

Frozen Boost 118
***EcuTek Mid tune***
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR30infection View Post
I believe (from my research) the OEM plug is NGK. I understand thinking to stick with OEM, however if you do a little bit of spark plug research, you will find that itís not that big of a deal. Also. When increasing power output of a given engine which increases heat, there are benifits to running one step colder plug. Also, copper plugs are not going to die every 5k.
They should last about 20k however I will probably change them every 10-15. At only $3 a plug, itís no biggie for the added conductivity.
Hmmm Infiniti used Denzo on their 3. 7L, I've not looked into the 3.0TT but if they use NGK then great they are arguably one of the best brands.

I suppose my last post wasn't very clear with the changer interval, I recall a few people saying they swapped the Iridium plugs out around 25-30K and they
were in pretty bad shape. If Iridium plugs are needing to be swapped out that soon can we really expect a copper plug to last their rated 15-20K miles?

If you want to swap them go ahead but keep a close eye on how quickly they are wearing out,
q50adix and Call4God like this.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

ďPassion rules reason, for better or for worse.Ē - Terry Goodkind
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)

I switched to copper plugs in my G8 GT. They do indeed work a bit better but about 10K - 15K miles is it. They are a LOT easier to change out in that small block motor VS. the Infiniti. I don't think the slight edge they provide would be worth the hassle. YMMV

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Q50 Addict

The more times you swap plugs the more chances of effing up something (such as a cross threaded plug). I'm not sure how many things have to come off the 3.0 to access the plugs, but because of access issues I changed plugs in our three Subarus exactly zero times (had the dealer do it). Some things in life just aren't worth my coming up with more new combinations of swear words.
rpiotro, mapleDom and jodedor like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in