2018 Q50 3.0 squealing at 3k-3.5k RPM - Page 4 - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Avedis53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Newport, Oregon
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
I'm not sure their is a proven correlation between belts snapping and where the indicator is on the belt tensioner. Those that have had their belt fail, have reported a lot of different conditions related to the tensioner.
Including no relation at all to the tensioner.

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package (Sport) - ProACTIVE Package - Continental DWS 06 A/S tires - BMS JB4 w/BT Rev.3 Connect Kit - FI CBE w/resonated X-pipe - Z1 Motorsports 2-Piece brake rotors - Infiniti Motorsports street pads - Stillen rear anti-sway bar - Mishimoto OCC - XPEL Ultimate Protective Paint Film - Color-matched rear spoiler - PrecisionLED light kit - Tuxmats - StrongArm trunk lifts - Escort 360c radar detector w/Blendmount & MirrorTap - Vantrue N2 Pro dashcam
Avedis53 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 2,261
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedis53 View Post
Was that to the left or right of the "D" range on the indicator? How did you arrive at 2-3 times stretch on the belt itself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
There should be a small amount of play in the belt to be sure, however by 2-3x I assume you mean when the engine is running and under load you may see the variance between points grow too 10mm+?
Okay let me be clear, it was the (my) "estimated" distance to the right of "D" range (when facing the engine) and the 2-3x was just the measure I used to describe that a little movement seen on the indicator may translate to be more when measured on the opposite side (pulley). I did not mean it to be the actual calculation. Exhibit A was the FB photo I saw that had no belt at all. Again, from my previous post up to this point, I was just stating my opinion that a small change on the indicator isn't necessarily equal to the movement at the pulley. The photos I posted a few days ago suggest that as the temp goes higher or running the engine longer, either the belt is shrinking or the pulley tightening up. Either way doesn't make sense to me.

Trivial at best, in my opinion at this time, and I'm not saying it would cause any issue or snapping of belt. I just find the movement being odd given the circumstance where I can replicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
I'm not sure their is a proven correlation between belts snapping and where the indicator is on the belt tensioner. Those that have had their belt fail, have reported a lot of different conditions related to the tensioner.

Yes, no correlation at this time though I find the indicator odd. And I am not sure how many owners who had their belts snapped had actually closely monitored the variables we've been talking about here. Only opinions are just being drawn and I'm yet to see a conclusive answer. All I know is this drive belt fiasco is definitely not solely due the AC compressor misalignment.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
q50adix is offline  
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:35 PM
Q50 Addict
 
BigHeadClan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cal, AB
Posts: 3,475
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Okay let me be clear, it was the (my) "estimated" distance to the right of "D" range (when facing the engine) and the 2-3x was just the measure I used to describe that a little movement seen on the indicator may translate to be more when measured on the opposite side (pulley). I did not mean it to be the actual calculation. Exhibit A was the FB photo I saw that had no belt at all. Again, from my previous post up to this point, I was just stating my opinion that a small change on the indicator isn't necessarily equal to the movement at the pulley. The photos I posted a few days ago suggest that as the temp goes higher or running the engine longer, either the belt is shrinking or the pulley tightening up. Either way doesn't make sense to me.

Hah okay just wanted to make sure.

As for what happens to the belt as temperatures increases most materials will deform/stretch, the tensioner would be calibrated to operate at a variety
of ranges so it is likely applying more tension to the pulley as engine speeds/temps rise to prevent the belt from slipping.

My $0.02 on the matter at least, I'm sure Avedis will correct/elaborate on anything I missed/got wrong.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
BigHeadClan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Avedis53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Newport, Oregon
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2108 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Hah okay just wanted to make sure.

As for what happens to the belt as temperatures increases most materials will deform/stretch, the tensioner would be calibrated to operate at a variety
of ranges so it is likely applying more tension to the pulley as engine speeds/temps rise to prevent the belt from slipping.

My $0.02 on the matter at least, I'm sure Avedis will correct/elaborate on anything I missed/got wrong.
You're worthless and weak! Drop and give me 20!

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package (Sport) - ProACTIVE Package - Continental DWS 06 A/S tires - BMS JB4 w/BT Rev.3 Connect Kit - FI CBE w/resonated X-pipe - Z1 Motorsports 2-Piece brake rotors - Infiniti Motorsports street pads - Stillen rear anti-sway bar - Mishimoto OCC - XPEL Ultimate Protective Paint Film - Color-matched rear spoiler - PrecisionLED light kit - Tuxmats - StrongArm trunk lifts - Escort 360c radar detector w/Blendmount & MirrorTap - Vantrue N2 Pro dashcam
Avedis53 is offline  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:37 PM
Q50 Addict
 
BigHeadClan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cal, AB
Posts: 3,475
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedis53 View Post
You're worthless and weak! Drop and give me 20!
Well I am getting a little chubby.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
BigHeadClan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome