• 1 Post By ptatohed

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default Auction blues

Hello Q50 Forum members,

I was living overseas and before recently returning to the US, I bought a 2016 Q50 RS400 AWD at Copart auction without seeing the vehicle or paying for an inspection ahead of time (I know... I'm foolish to say the least). It was listed as Salvage, but also as "Run & Drive" my high offer was only $8900, but after auction fees and transportation costs, I've got over $11,000 in it with under 8900 miles.

I heard from my friend it was shipped to that it had a dead battery and an engine knock. Unfortunately, the engine knock isn't the upper end but rather the lower end. I called several garages around Houston and we quoted various prices ranging from $2900 labor if I purchased a used engine up to ~8-10k if the Performance shop did a rebuild. I decided that a specialty shop, while adding a few performance parts was my best option. I also thought that keeping matching VIN #s was better than gambling on a used engine, so I had the car flatbed delivered to a shop in Cypress, TX (Houston MSA). After several weeks of talking to their machine shops, none of which had experience rebuilding this VR30DDTT engine they decided replacing was cheaper. With just a few performance parts, the quote had grown to $17k and given my investment already, I was not going to put nearly $30k in the car with a salvage title.

I've now sent the car to a salvage rebuilder in Tomball, TX that I bought a truck from who has told he can replace engines for $600 in labor only, seals, fluids, gaskets, etc. will be extra. I'm hoping someone in the forum can help me source a used engine and maybe even help me tear apart the knocking engine to see what is the problem. Some questions I have:

-Is it necessary to buy the AWD engine, or can I just swap the oil pan from my old engine?
-Are there any other swaps to be made to fit a RWD engine to the AWD car besides oil pan, like the flywheel?
-Is it better to find newer and/or lower mile non RS400 motor combined with my RS400 ECMs or stick with only a RS400 motor.... as there are not many of the RS400 out there?
-LKQ Auto Parts has ~35k mile engine assembly for <$5k, but that excludes turbos, intercoolers, belts, hoses, ECM, etc.... How much can I expect to be charged to swap this from my old motor to the replacement?
-There is a local salvage yard that has a 2018 Q60 RWD 300hp engine with low miles, they don't know condition and want $2900... can any recommend what tests I can do before buying if the engine isn't running?
-Is anyone in the Houston area aware of any suitable engines for me or able to meet me at the local salvage yard?

Thanks for reading my posts and I hope I can get this beautiful car running before too long without breaking the bank! I'm excited by how powerful it is and can become, while being such a sleeper!

Sincerely,
Logan Jordan
346 334 144zero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone comment on if my 2016 Q50s RS400 AWD can accept an 2018 Q60 RWD 300hp version and what changes would be needed to accomplish this? I'm wanting to buy a complete engine rather than on from LKQ that is bare.

I assume oil pan swap is needed, anything on wiring harness, engine mounts, flywheel?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)

Best of luck, Logan.

If you want to keep the car, replace the motor with a new one and don't put any performance parts on it.

400hp is enough and you don't want to spend another 15 to 20 to get a motor in it.

Build_Page

Youtube

2018 Q50 RS AWD

"I am not an expert on the subject, but that has been my observation." - Jodedor
"So, how much did it cost to make your car undriveable?" - Best Friend
"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Jodedor

9 times out of 10, it is an electic razor...but every once ina while, it is a ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)

Dude, I think I'd sell the car the way it is now. Better to take a 30% loss now than to spend who knows? (50-100% or more?) later. Whatever you decide, good luck.
jodedor likes this.

_
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD, Iridium Blue/Black leather
______
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, Icelandic Pearl White/Black leather - Supercharged 4AT (322 WHP / 307 WTQ)
2001.5 Audi S4, Santorin Blue Pearl/Black leather - Bi-Turbo 6MT AWD (300+ BHP)
2003 Acura TL Type S, Metallic Gray/Black leather - 5AT - Daily Driver
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptatohed View Post
Dude, I think I'd sell the car the way it is now. Better to take a 30% loss now than to spend who knows? (50-100% or more?) later. Whatever you decide, good luck.
I was thinking that as well, but it would be a very expensive lesson. I think his loss would be more like 60%.

Either way, he is in a bad spot.

Build_Page

Youtube

2018 Q50 RS AWD

"I am not an expert on the subject, but that has been my observation." - Jodedor
"So, how much did it cost to make your car undriveable?" - Best Friend
"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Jodedor

9 times out of 10, it is an electic razor...but every once ina while, it is a ....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:29 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)

Oh you in TX? Should have asked Scotty Kilmer for a rebuild quote!

Kidding aside, AMS might be able to help and upgrade the internals and other parts while they're at it. I know it won't be cheap but you'd be able ensure quality work IMO.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodedor View Post
I was thinking that as well, but it would be a very expensive lesson. I think his loss would be more like 60%.

Either way, he is in a bad spot.

I hear you. But, it's a salvage and he's never even driven it. He needs to put in a new engine just then find out what else is wrong with it. I'm afraid it might be never ending!

I was dumb once and put a new $6k engine in a car that was worth maybe $3k - but I knew the rest of the car was good. That's not the case here.

Good luck OP!
jodedor likes this.

_
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD, Iridium Blue/Black leather
______
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, Icelandic Pearl White/Black leather - Supercharged 4AT (322 WHP / 307 WTQ)
2001.5 Audi S4, Santorin Blue Pearl/Black leather - Bi-Turbo 6MT AWD (300+ BHP)
2003 Acura TL Type S, Metallic Gray/Black leather - 5AT - Daily Driver
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 AM

hi and welcome
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)

Garage

Big delema. If the car has a low end knock something big caused it. This would concern me, as the abuse or lack of care, was not limited to just the motor. Lots of questions here. Miles? Accedent? History etc.
If you have room and can wrench, the car is worth a lot in parts. You could get your $ back.
I wouldn't put a dime into it w/o knowing a bunch more about the car.

You could call Concept Z and talk about building a "race car" out of it. Motor rebuild, turbos, standard transmission, LSD, etc. All it is is a donor/project car.

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in