• 1 Post By Patrick S

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Default Getting back into the Nissan/Infiniti family

Hey guys,

Joining the forum today, as I am in my discovery phase of purchasing a 16-17 CPO Q50, as my current lease on my Discovery Sport expires veryb soon. I am opting to purchase used, as this vehicle is going to serve me well for the next 8 years or so and I'm looking to kill off most of the new car depreciation.

Previously, I drove a 2001 Maxima, with all bolt on kits, minus SC. Then a 2008 Maxima with intake and CBE. Loved both of these vehicles and only got into an SUV due to family needs. These needs are no longer needed and an AWD sedan, like the Q50, will serve our 3 person family well. Plus, that power! Can't wait to have some cajones in my vehicle again!

My goal is to locate either a Premium Plus or Silver Sport with tech package, between 2016 and 2017 year model and then start slowly modding it to gain all that horse power left on the table:
  • Larger HE
  • LDP
  • CBE
  • JB4

Most likely in this order. Although, the JB4 might come after the HE.

Any gotchas that I should be aware on these year models? On a 2016, should I expect to pay about 50% original invoice?

I'll continue to rummage through this forum and check out what peeps are doing to theirs

I look forward to posting pics of my new ride soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)

Welcome to the forum! This forum is a awesome site for information and you will find outstanding advice about the Q50.

Good move on buying used having the former owner pay for the depreciation. Price on these cars are extremely fluid considering miles, history, location and options. The Q50 is a rock solid car. Just research the car as much as possible before pulling the trigger.

And always remember to use caution when certain members make over the top and hysterical comments about certain OEM parts on the Q50. We have seen members lie in order to support their own choices and expense. Other than that this forum never fails when you have a issue, question or problem with the Q50.

Good luck finding the best Q.
Patrick S likes this.

2018 Q50 AWD Hybrid Black Pearl (Premium Paint). Sensory including Bose. ProActive and ProPilot. OEM Welcome Lighting & illuminated kick plates. OEM Spoiler. Splash Guards.

Last edited by Jeffpeds; 09-09-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)

The biggest gotcha after the belt/tensioner is DAS.

If you like to be physically "connected" to the front wheels, skip DAS.

Get a Silver Sport at least...sound, brakes, suspension.
BigHeadClan, Jeffpeds and u1arunit like this.

Build_Page

Youtube

2018 Q50 RS AWD

"I am not an expert on the subject, but that has been my observation." - Jodedor
"So, how much did it cost to make your car undriveable?" - Best Friend
"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Jodedor

9 times out of 10, it is an electic razor...but every once ina while, it is a ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)

Garage

As Jodedor said belt/tensioner are usually the biggest problem with 2016-19 Q50/Q60's , there has been a few reports of Oiling issues on the turbos but they are pretty few and far between. At least based on what we've seen on the forum.

Make sure the car is CPO and enjoy the car, if a turbo issue does come up Infiniti will cover it.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Hey guys,

Joining the forum today, as I am in my discovery phase of purchasing a 16-17 CPO Q50, as my current lease on my Discovery Sport expires veryb soon. I am opting to purchase used, as this vehicle is going to serve me well for the next 8 years or so and I'm looking to kill off most of the new car depreciation.

Previously, I drove a 2001 Maxima, with all bolt on kits, minus SC. Then a 2008 Maxima with intake and CBE. Loved both of these vehicles and only got into an SUV due to family needs. These needs are no longer needed and an AWD sedan, like the Q50, will serve our 3 person family well. Plus, that power! Can't wait to have some cajones in my vehicle again!

My goal is to locate either a Premium Plus or Silver Sport with tech package, between 2016 and 2017 year model and then start slowly modding it to gain all that horse power left on the table:
  • Larger HE
  • LDP
  • CBE
  • JB4

Most likely in this order. Although, the JB4 might come after the HE.

Any gotchas that I should be aware on these year models? On a 2016, should I expect to pay about 50% original invoice?

I'll continue to rummage through this forum and check out what peeps are doing to theirs

I look forward to posting pics of my new ride soon!
Sounds like you got the right idea in modding order, AMS HE is over twice the size as stock and will help when running a JB4 for sure. I got the HE before the JB4, I’d recommend a BOV kit as well for the longevity of your turbos, especially if you plan on running a JB4. A tech Q50 is a brilliant vehicle, good luck with the search!
Patrick S likes this.

~ V8 KILLA ~
**2018 Q50 Sport-AMS HE/Intake-HKS BOV-JB4-AMS LDP 3”, MBRP 3”
Konig 19” wheels
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagan90 View Post
Sounds like you got the right idea in modding order, AMS HE is over twice the size as stock and will help when running a JB4 for sure. I got the HE before the JB4, I’d recommend a BOV kit as well for the longevity of your turbos, especially if you plan on running a JB4. A tech Q50 is a brilliant vehicle, good luck with the search!
Thanks! Not to mention, BOVs do sound super sexy!
Jeffpeds likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Thanks! Not to mention, BOVs do sound super sexy!
They definitely do, especially with the inserts left in. When I first put mine on I took the inserts out to get more of the classic whoosh sound, however it was a quiet sound unless I really got on the gas, when I put them back in the sound was a thousand times better! All the videos on YouTube made me think I wouldn’t like the sound but I was very wrong to think that, its much louder now and when I really get on it the sound is amazing! I have videos on YouTube of my 3.0 and my buddies RS Q60, check them out!

~ V8 KILLA ~
**2018 Q50 Sport-AMS HE/Intake-HKS BOV-JB4-AMS LDP 3”, MBRP 3”
Konig 19” wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in