Do the rear brakes on the Infiniti Q50 wear quickly? - Page 4 - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)

Brake fluid performances specifications

- DOT 3 brake fluid

DOT 3 brake fluids are usually glycol ether based, but that is not because they are required to be. In fact, FMVSS116 doesn’t precise the chemical composition of brake fluids. It simply dictates the fluid physical properties. However, brake fluid industry has, by consensus, decreed that glycol ether fluids are the most economical way to meet the requirements.

- DOT 4 brake fluids

DOT 4 brake fluids are also glycol ether based but they contain in addition borate esters in order to improve some properties including increased dry and wet boiling points. DOT 4 brake fluids have a more stable and higher boiling point during the early portion of their life, but ironically once the fluid does actually begin to absorb water its boiling point will typically fall off more rapidly than a typical DOT 3 brake fluid. By FMVSS116 standards, DOT 4 brake fluids must have a minimum dry boiling point of 230°C and a minimum wet boiling point of 155°C.

- DOT 5.1 brake fluids

Historically, DOT 5-level performance (specifically boiling points and viscosity) could only be achieved with silicone-based fluids. However, modern compositions have created glycol ether-based fluids which now meet DOT 5 brake fluids requirements in these key areas. Consequently, the DOT 5.1 brake fluids level was created to differentiate these two very different chemistries which both meet DOT 5 brake fluids performance requirements.
In so many words, DOT 5.1 brake fluids are simply DOT 4-type brake fluids which meet DOT 5 brake fluids performance requirements. Because of this, they typically can be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluids without concern. Sometimes, they are even referred to as ‘DOT 4 Plus’ or ‘Super DOT 4’ brake fluids because they are more similar to a conventional DOT 4 fluid by chemistry than they are to a conventional DOT 5 brake fluid. In fact, DOT 5.1 is essentially comprised of borate esters.

- DOT 5 brake fluids

DOT 5 brake fluids have been developed for military applications, i.e. for vehicles that could stand in storage for years, without maintenance and had to perform immediately when required. They are superior in terms of boiling point retention and corrosion/conservation properties, since they don’t absorb water. Up to now car manufacturers have not moved to use silicone fluids for first fill regular cars for two main reasons:

- Low air solubility, which leads to a spongy brake pedal feel.

- No water solubility, moisture which enters in the system can be corrosive and can freeze at low temperatures or boil at high temperatures.
rpiotro and BigHeadClan like this.

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)

Garage

Hmm very informative thanks for that Pillboy.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpiotro View Post
$900? Are they serious. I have a hybrid and had my rears done about two years ago. About $350 including all OEM parts and rotors resurfaced with an on-vehicle brake lathe.

Are you talking the sport package brakes? I suspect they are slightly higher but $900? No way. Who quoted you that number.
My local Infinity dealer...who has otherwise been great. In fact they took such good care of my 300K mi '06 G35 6MT that I bought this from them....I do miss that car....
Anyway, I usually do my own brakes so I wasn't too worried.

While I've got you on the phone... the serpentine idler pulley is starting to squeak. Have you changed one? can I get at it from under or above?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:59 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nBeyond View Post
My local Infinity dealer...who has otherwise been great. In fact they took such good care of my 300K mi '06 G35 6MT that I bought this from them....I do miss that car....
Anyway, I usually do my own brakes so I wasn't too worried.

While I've got you on the phone... the serpentine idler pulley is starting to squeak. Have you changed one? can I get at it from under or above?? Thanks!
Sorry, can't help you there. I have a hybrid. No belts, no pulleys.

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)

Garage

It's darn tight in there. A belt changing bar thingie to take the belt off, then remove and replace the pully. Maybe @Avedis53 will cut n paste the procedure.?
I bet it's a real PITA.!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

My 2014 Q50 Hybrid premium is at 52.5k miles - original rotors & pads, unless they were replaced
before 22k when I bought it. I drive with active trace control off.

Quote:
Sorry, can't help you there. I have a hybrid. No belts, no pulleys.
The hybrid VQ35HR has a crankshaft pulley.

Here's the VQ37VHR drive belt - replacing it looks like fun:

2014 Q50 AWD Hybrid
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Q50 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp314 View Post

...The hybrid VQ35HR has a crankshaft pulley. ...

Nope, it does not function as a pulley. Hence, no pulley.

pulley

n. A simple machine consisting essentially of a wheel with a grooved rim in which a pulled rope or chain can run to change the direction of the pull and thereby lift a load.
n. A wheel turned by or driving a belt.
To raise or hoist with a pulley.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Nope, it does not function as a pulley. Hence, no pulley.

pulley

n. A simple machine consisting essentially of a wheel with a grooved rim in which a pulled rope or chain can run to change the direction of the pull and thereby lift a load.
n. A wheel turned by or driving a belt.
To raise or hoist with a pulley.

The 1st definition above says 'can run', not must run...

The hybrid factory service manual defines it as a crankshaft pulley.
Infiniti part# 12303-JK20A = crankshaft pulley.

2014 Q50 AWD Hybrid
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas View Post
@Sinecure thanks for the info. I figured that the regenerative braking could switch things up a bit.

No tech package on the car. I'm solely responsible for braking the car.

On a side note, is 23k ish miles a normal time for a rear brake replacement.
Hi Bas,

Into my Q50 Red Sport 2017 before my totalled loss i changed rear Brake/and Disk at 17 000 Km / 10.5Miles. ( And this car was all tech installed )

2019 Q50 I-Line Red Sport 400 Graphite Shadow
Sensory ProASSIST / ProACTIVE / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates / Interior Accent Lighting

Total Loss 2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 Graphite Shadow
Sensory ProASSIST / ProACTIVE / INFINITI Radiant Illuminated Kick Plates
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Q50 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp314 View Post
The 1st definition above says 'can run', not must run...

The hybrid factory service manual defines it as a crankshaft pulley.
Infiniti part# 12303-JK20A = crankshaft pulley.
Meh. A poor translation from the Japanese.

Grace Slick

H. L. Mencken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in