User Tag List

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Bas

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Default Do the rear brakes on the Infiniti Q50 wear quickly?

I took my car in for maintenance and the service rep mentioned that my rear brakes are worn down (I'll be reaching out for more details on this), but the front brakes pads/rotors are perfectly fine. I'm driving a Q50 hybrid, which has around 23k miles, most of which were driven with the goal of maximizing mpg (so no heavy braking).

My question (or confusions) lies with the fact that the rear brakes have worn out more quickly than the front brakes. This will be the first time this has ever happened to me in any car. I've done some googling (or Binging, for you Microsoft enthusiasts), and have found some complaints about Q50 brakes in general.

My question: is this a normal wear pattern for the car, or does it suggest another problem with the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

Two issues at work here:

First, the fronts do less work because (I think) the regenerative brakes are in there - they take a bunch of the load off the friction brakes.

Second - does your car have tech package? If so, there seems to be consensus that auto braking function wears brakes faster.

YMMV

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 2019 QX50 Hermosa Blue; 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Bas

@Sinecure thanks for the info. I figured that the regenerative braking could switch things up a bit.

No tech package on the car. I'm solely responsible for braking the car.

On a side note, is 23k ish miles a normal time for a rear brake replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)

Garage

I could be grasping at straws here, but maybe this has something to do with active trace control as well?
Klamalama, rpiotro and RicerX like this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

I have the 2014 Q50s Hybrid AWD, the rear brakes will need to be changed at about 25k to 35k miles depending on your driving style...and yes, they do wear out faster than the fronts....

Last edited by junkfoodz; 04-07-2017 at 01:51 AM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)

Factor in that the rear brake pads start out very thin compared to the fronts. The inspection report I get whenever I get the car serviced tells me that I went from "green" to "orange" at about 10K miles. Now at 30K miles and still reported as orange. I think they actually wear slowly but are misinterpreted as needing replacement because they are perpetually thin. I took a look myself when I swapped out the winter tires last week. I can see that I really will need rear brakes soon. Probably at my 42mo./35K mile service. Fronts still have a long way to go.

And yes, as @ThreeBlockWar has stated I believe the Active Trace Control is a contributing factor in their wear.

@Sinecure , I'm pretty sure the regenerative braking is through the rears wheels. On a RWD model how could the front wheels possibly hook up to the electric motor/generator? And to put a separate generator on each of the front wheels would send the costs and unsprung weight through the roof.

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Nissans and Infinitis new enough to have technology like VDC or even newer Active Trace Control features will go through rear brakes faster because of the individual brake application mandated by the system. This is especially relevant to the Q50 because Active Trace Control is meant to replace the functionality of a limited slip differential, even moreso in RWD models than AWD models, but still applicable to both. The car will apply brakes to correct traction issues it detects even if you don't detect it yourself. The extra use of rear brakes in this system exists even though rear brake hardware is not otherwise upgraded. From a sheer physics standpoint, front brakes are built larger and beefier because when actively braking, the front brakes are doing more of the work than the rear.

This has nothing to do with the regenerative braking features of the hybrid models.
David_in_CT likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Garage

I had to do rears at 24K on my 2014 Q50S, rotors were warped all around but front pads were in great shape, never had to do the rears before on any of my Infiniti leases. I think it is pretty lame for Infiniti not to offer the LSD option and instead put in some software code to use up rear brakes and limit performance.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Bas

Just to clarify, is Active Trace Control available on all models. I have a Hybrid with none of the Tech package goodies. (I think my only option over the base Hybrid package was the rubber floor mats).
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Was fortunate to find the Rear OEM pads for $58 and did it myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in