18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 AM
Master Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Garage

The general consensus on the facebook forum is that the 3.0 non-RS is about an equal to the 3.7.

A couple of things could be in play here - those 'big' 19's on your S are HEAVY. You mention the 3.0 had little 17s - but I am betting they are far lighter than the 19s. People don't seem to get how much heavy wheels/tires impact performance in every way.

I've had a few informal runs against a Silver Sport - (I have a '15) - they pull away just a bit from the start, but the 3.7 reels them in in the upper reaches of the tach. Having said that - you can modify/tune the 3.0t into a monster relatively easily...not so much with the 3.7.

Anyway - enjoy both. Neither are a slouch when compared to most other cars on the road...

2018 Q50S Red Sport - Dynamic Sunstone Red - Sensory, ProActive, Conventional High Performance Tires, Spare Tire Pkg, Illuminated Kickplates, Radiant Grill Emblem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
dude, here i thought you were driving a 3.0tt RS
Really? I wish.

They were a little rich for my blood. By blood, I mean wallet. More accurately my wife's pocketbook. She didn't think we needed such a nice car, even the preimium at such a great discount was almost a bridge too far.

I hoping the puppy dog close technique works on her two years from now:

For example, the pet store salesperson tells you that you can take the puppy home with you and if you don't like it, just bring it back. So what happens? You take the puppy with you, you play with him and run around outside with him, he licks your nose in the morning and waits for you faithfully at the door at the end of the day. And the sale is made. Not by the salesperson, but by the puppy.

Maybe she'll still like it so much, she'll want to re-up with a nice RS. I don't think there's any way the next gen will be out then and I'd hate to be stuck with the last year of an old design though.

2015 Obsidian Black, Premium, RWD. SunTek CXP 25%, 5% Rear. Blubatoverlays, LED and reverse cut out tail light tints. Midnight Black Grille. Konig Oversteer Wheels 19x8.5 +30, 19x9.5 +40. Continental Extreme Contacts 245/40, 275/35. Tein Flex Z Coilovers. Chrome delete (Except fugis and mirrors).
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

what is your basis for saying they are fudging the HP and torque numbers other than guessing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsQ View Post
The general consensus on the facebook forum is that the 3.0 non-RS is about an equal to the 3.7.

A couple of things could be in play here - those 'big' 19's on your S are HEAVY. You mention the 3.0 had little 17s - but I am betting they are far lighter than the 19s. People don't seem to get how much heavy wheels/tires impact performance in every way.

I've had a few informal runs against a Silver Sport - (I have a '15) - they pull away just a bit from the start, but the 3.7 reels them in in the upper reaches of the tach. Having said that - you can modify/tune the 3.0t into a monster relatively easily...not so much with the 3.7.

Anyway - enjoy both. Neither are a slouch when compared to most other cars on the road...
Guilty as charged; never considered the extra wheel weight.
From what I have gathered, the 3.0TT is harder to mod/tune than the 3.7.
Do I have that backward ?
How ?

2015 Q50S Obsidian: High Performance Wheels/Tires - NAV - Ambient Lighting - Welcome Lighting - illuminated kickplates - splashguards

".....and the only way I know where the train will go is when I'm sleeping on the tracks."
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlockWar View Post
The 3.0T's are underrated from the factory. They actually put down as much, if not more, horsepower than the 3.7 and more torque. Infiniti took a page out of BMW's book. Enjoy the ride
I can attest to the 'torque' part.
It is easily noticed.
ThreeBlockWar likes this.

2015 Q50S Obsidian: High Performance Wheels/Tires - NAV - Ambient Lighting - Welcome Lighting - illuminated kickplates - splashguards

".....and the only way I know where the train will go is when I'm sleeping on the tracks."
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hooper View Post
what is your basis for saying they are fudging the HP and torque numbers other than guessing?
If your question is directed at me, there are MANY sources online about the Q50 being underrated from the factory in both 3.0T engines. Just do a search and you'll find them.

2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport (without all that nanny tech )

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity, why do car manufacturers purposefully underrate their cars' power? What do they get out of this?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00o0ooo View Post
Just out of curiosity, why do car manufacturers purposefully underrate their cars' power? What do they get out of this?
Protection from lawsuits. There can be a lot of variation in manufacturing and tolerances. If you rate the engine based on best case scenario then you are asking for trouble if customers discover their engine can't achieve what is being listed as the rating.
q50adix, ThreeBlockWar and Av8tor like this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:43 PM
‹ber Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00o0ooo View Post
That's a good question. I would think that a manufacturer would want to claim numbers as close to actual as possible, but perhaps it's mainly due to testing methods. This is just a guess, but engines are tested (at the factory) for power outside of the vehicle using just the intake(s) and exhaust (not accounting for the other drivetrain components). Also, there have also been lawsuits in the past where vehicles do not produce the power that was advertised (Tesla and Chevrolet are the first to come to mind). Perhaps it's a safe way for the manufacturer to cover their butts. Lower numbers than advertised creates many issues, but I doubt anyone would be mad if their vehicle makes more power.
q50adix and Av8tor like this.

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 01:44 PM
‹ber Member

Garage

@damonb10 beat me to it haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in