27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #51 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichE View Post
Has anyone ever compared the RWD vs AWD dynos. I would expect RWD to put more power down, but it seems that it's almost negligible.
You would think so, and that is typically the case. However, Nissan/Infiniti's AWD systems in recent years have been very efficient and from what I've seen the difference is negligible on these cars. If there is one, it's likely less than 10WHP stock.

2016 Q50 Red Sport 400 - JB4
2008 Infiniti EX35 - Daily
1988 300ZX Shiro - Precision 5862 Turbo, Schneider Cams, 840cc deatschwerks injectors, upgraded fuel rails, Ported intake manifold, DXD clutch, Nistune, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodedor View Post
Is it easier to get out because the seat bottom is much higher from the ground than your GTR?
The height is less favorable, yes, but I think it's primarily the thigh bolsters. They're fairly tall. Awesome for when you're putting the car into a corner, though.
jodedor likes this.

Daily Driver: 2017 Q50S AWD - Mods: Intake/Exhaust
Tow Rig/Road Tripper: 2015 QX80
The Fast One: 2016 GT-R
The Project: Factory Five 818C
post #53 of 85 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)

Garage

When I did my dyno tune I put down 25 more hp and like 40 more tq then an AWD. A lot has changed from then though but I always thought the RWD cars had better dyno numbers.

2016 Q50S Red Sport RWD, SpecialtyZ Stage 2 Ecutek Tune (AVANT GARDE M310 20Ē AVAILABLE) (BLUETOOTH (Sold) CABLE Sold)(Fast Intentions Full Downpipes and CBE, AMS CAI, AMS HE, Z1 LSD, ARE SOLD)(RSR Lowering Springs Sold)(Stillen Front & Rear Sway Bar, Megan Racing T-Brace SOLD),(CUSTOM A-Pillar 3 Gauge Cluster with trim Available) (Fuel, Boost, AFR sold),GTR Hood Sold, (Stillen Splitter Sold), (ALL THE ABOVE PARTS ARE ON SALE PM ME)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichE View Post
Has anyone ever compared the RWD vs AWD dynos. I would expect RWD to put more power down, but it seems that it's almost negligible.

You would still put out more on the dyno with RWD than AWD, although it doesn't matter if you're spinning at the stoplight while the AWD easily got the jump on you

2017 Q60 Premium 3.0 RWD
Daily: 1998 Honda Accord (400K Miles, Finally died...)
New Daily: 2007 Toyota Camry SE (Love it!)
post #55 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)

Garage

On the dyno the rollers spin differently front to rear, I think? Unlike on the road where all the power goes to the rear weels first unless they "slip" which I believe the dyno does, unless the front and rear rollers are linked somehow. Anyone know? A LSD helps on pavement for sure.

I got only about 3 feet of both rear weel spin on my new map "hit" today. Not sure if power went to the front wheel since it was so little rear weel spin. Under the bias threshold maybe?

Unless the rollers are linked the dyno will underestimate the power as there would be drive train loss vs pavement.

On dirt with VDC off my car is a blast!
post #56 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
On the dyno the rollers spin differently front to rear, I think? Unlike on the road where all the power goes to the rear weels first unless they "slip" which I believe the dyno does, unless the front and rear rollers are linked somehow. Anyone know? A LSD helps on pavement for sure.

I got only about 3 feet of both rear weel spin on my new map "hit" today. Not sure if power went to the front wheel since it was so little rear weel spin. Under the bias threshold maybe?

Unless the rollers are linked the dyno will underestimate the power as there would be drive train loss vs pavement.

On dirt with VDC off my car is a blast!
AWD system is automatically engaged at low-speeds and from a stop after which it tapers off and only engages as needed.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

ďPassion rules reason, for better or for worse.Ē - Terry Goodkind
post #57 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Q50 Addict

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
AWD system is automatically engaged at low-speeds and from a stop after which it tapers off and only engages as needed.
I don't quite agree. Rear wheel bias. My rear wheels will turn b4 my fronts from a stop. Once they slip a bit I feel the front kick in. If AWD is active like you said this would not happen. Verified on wet/sandy/snow conditions. I'll look on the manual.

Still wondering about the dyno and clarification on if front and rear rollers are linked in any way. I doubt it. If they are not the dyno does not replicate power to the ground on pavement accurately. Just IMHO. @Avedis53
post #58 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
From what Iíve always been taught at work, the AWD system in the Infinitis ONLY activates when slippage is detected in a tire, even in snow mode it doesnít automatically adjust to AWD, thatís only starting your car off in a higher gear to get traction, the second it detects negative conditions or wheel spin it will transfer 50% to front wheels.
JohnInNH likes this.

~ V8 KILLA ~
**2018 Q50 Sport-AMS HE/Intake-HKS BOV-JB4-Megan Racing DP/Y-Pipe, Tanabe Mid, Infiniti Axle back
post #59 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Q50 Addict

Garage

My tires show this too. Rears wear faster than my front. I now since I got my lift, rotate much more often.
post #60 of 85 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
I don't quite agree. Rear wheel bias. My rear wheels will turn b4 my fronts from a stop. Once they slip a bit I feel the front kick in. If AWD is active like you said this would not happen. Verified on wet/sandy/snow conditions. I'll look on the manual.

Still wondering about the dyno and clarification on if front and rear rollers are linked in any way. I doubt it. If they are not the dyno does not replicate power to the ground on pavement accurately. Just IMHO. @Avedis53
Just reporting what the SM for 2016+ models had written/graphed for the torque splits, it's possible it's inaccurate due to poor translation me and Avedis were discussing this a few weeks back
ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagan90 View Post
From what Iíve always been taught at work, the AWD system in the Infinitis ONLY activates when slippage is detected in a tire, even in snow mode it doesnít automatically adjust to AWD, thatís only starting your car off in a higher gear to get traction, the second it detects negative conditions or wheel spin it will transfer 50% to front wheels.
That was the case for the G37x models to be sure but with the Q50 it appears they've revised the AWD programming so it engages in a more pro-active manner instead
of a re-active one. As I mentioned to John the SM seems to state other-wise.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

ďPassion rules reason, for better or for worse.Ē - Terry Goodkind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in