User Tag List

87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #161 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)

I still think that tensioner is the root cause, not misalignment. There is NO WAY a belt tensioner needs to be that tight. Combine it with the crappy OEM quality belt and it makes sense why they're snapping.
BigHeadClan and gipsonke like this.

2016+ Premium, JB4+fuel wires+meth, BMS HE, Z1 full catless DPs, Megan Y-pipe. 18" TSW's with 275/40/18's all around. [email protected]
DIY catch can|Low cost LSD Upgrade|Tesla screen install tips|JB4 meth install
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddnspider View Post
I still think that tensioner is the root cause, not misalignment. There is NO WAY a belt tensioner needs to be that tight. Combine it with the crappy OEM quality belt and it makes sense why they're snapping.
I will do belt and tensioner every 10,000 miles.

$500 parts and I don't know how much labor, but I dont' want to d|ck with it.

Build_Page

Youtube

2018 Q50 RS AWD

"I am not an expert on the subject, but that has been my observation." - Jodedor
"So, how much did it cost to make your car undriveable?" - Best Friend
"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Jodedor

9 times out of 10, it is an electic razor...but every once ina while, it is a ....
post #163 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:39 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)

Quote:
I still think that tensioner is the root cause, not misalignment. There is NO WAY a belt tensioner needs to be that tight.
I wonder how much variance in the tensioner spring (force) occurs from unit to unit? And I wonder if it changes (and how much) over time? You could consider these belt failures in the "infant mortality" range, as serpentine belts can go 60-75k miles before requiring replacement.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 07-10-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Q50 Addict

All I know is I've never in my life seen a tensioner that tight. Normally a 3/8" ratchet and 1 hand will rotate a tensioner with little effort. I BARELY managed to do it with 2 arms and my entire body leaning into it. I am hoping these gates belts will help them last longer.
post #165 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

So all we have to do is change is the ac belt and that squeak is fixed? Or the pulley is the problem. I’m having a bad squeal as well. 18 RS400
post #166 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanE46 View Post
So all we have to do is change is the ac belt and that squeak is fixed? Or the pulley is the problem. Iím having a bad squeal as well. 18 RS400

It depends. Some (like me) only required a belt replacement, others had both belt and tensioner, others required AC compressor realignment. I seem to recall one member having multiple pulleys and belt replaced, but cannot recall if it was after a belt break or squeal. With me, alignment and tensioner were fine, I got a new belt with only 22K miles on the car. I advise going to the dealer to ensure you have it documented should something worse happen.

2016 Red Sport 400, Venetian Ruby, BMS JB4 Map 6 (+4 psi), Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ (255/40ZR-19, 275/35ZR-19), Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Cusco Strut Tower Bar, Fast Intentions Resonated Cat Back Exhaust
post #167 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:

What does the factory service manual say, if anything, about belt tension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #168 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsonke View Post
What does the factory service manual say, if anything, about belt tension?
@Avedis53 has a service manual - we'll wait and see if it makes any reference to belt tension.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss
post #169 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Q50 Addict

I have the service manual too, and there's nothing specific about the tensioner. Just talks about belt replacement and the "good" vs. "replace" indications. Anyone whose so inclined, grab a 3/8" ratchet and try and turn their tensioner and see if you think the tension is excessive :P
post #170 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)

Garage

Force on the tensioner is not all that bad thing for the belt. It's "bad" for the bearings in the pulleys & pumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in