User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Default PSA For Those That Don't Already Know - Run Flats

This past weekend on Saturday night I got some sort of metal stuck in my tire, right in the middle of the tire. Normally this could be fixed on a regular tire.

Since I have the run flats and a "Rim and Tire protection package" that I pay for on my lease, I waited until Monday to square this out.

Monday morning before work, I drive 1 minute down the road on my 0 psi tire and fill the tire for my 15 minute drive to the dealership (the car honks it's horn once you reach correct PSI - Cool!).

I wasn't completely sure but I knew there was a 50/50 chance run flats are repairable.

I get there and service advisor tells me run flats are not repairable. Must replace.

Here is the PSA - If you plan on getting a Q50....Or any other car with run flats I highly advise you get the rim and tire protection package which by now has already paid for itself. Or you can do what most people do here and replace them with a normal tire.

If I didn't choose the rim and tire package when I signed paperwork, I would have paid $300 + for that replacement tire.

If I remember correctly, I have up to 4 instances where the rim or tire can be replaced while I have my lease. If you are handy and don't care, you can always plug the tire from the outside and it will probably be OK.

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package - Proactive Package - BMS JB1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Here's the deal with run flats, from my experience.

If you don't drive on them when they are below 15 PSI, and if the puncture is in the tread rather than the sidewall, they can be repaired.

If you have to drive on them below 15 PSI, the internal structures are compromised and the tire must be replaced.

I had one that had a nail in the tread, with a slow leak. I filled it to 35 PSI and drove it to the dealer, it lost maybe 10 PSI along the way. The service advisor got on Bridgestone's website and got the above information. They repaired it and I used it for the rest of the time I had the car (another two years or so) with no issues.

My situation isn't typical, though, so you're right about the tire and wheel package. I got it for mine too, just didn't have to use it that time.

2018 Q50 RS400 AWD Liquid Platinum
Sensory/All-Weather/Spiffy Splash Guards
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM
CtK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Garage

The Rim and Tire protection package will also cover any tire you use on your car as long as its not more expensive than the stock tire.

2018 Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Iridium Blue
Ceramic Tint 15% all around and 60% front windshield
Interior lights changed to white LEDs.
Red Ignition Button Ring Cover
Infiniti logo projector door light
Planning: Muffler delete and Plastidip or Wrap chrome trims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:57 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtK View Post
The Rim and Tire protection package will also cover any tire you use on your car as long as its not more expensive than the stock tire.

Almost any street tire is cheaper than those crappy RFTs lol
David_in_CT likes this.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Almost any street tire is cheaper than those crappy RFTs lol
It's funny when I picked up my G37 they were offering me $100 tire for those RFT's (another $50 for the sensor)
which is actually a pretty smoking deal.

That said I was well aware how bad those tires are so decided not to take them up on that. lol
q50adix likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)

How much did you guys pay for the rim + tire protection?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
It's funny when I picked up my G37 they were offering me $100 tire for those RFT's (another $50 for the sensor)
which is actually a pretty smoking deal.

That said I was well aware how bad those tires are so decided not to take them up on that. lol
Ha! that's most likely the A/S ones lol @ $100...if it's too good to be true, it probably is!
BigHeadClan likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
Ha! that's most likely the A/S ones lol @ $100...if it's too good to be true, it probably is!
Yep A/S, turned looked at the rep and just strait said "Soo do you guys have any good tires for sale?"

He understandably was a bit confused as it was from a Honda dealer. lol
q50adix likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I keep an air compressor in the trunk just in case I pick up a nail so that I can stop and reinflate the tire as many times as it takes to reach a service station before the sidewall is destroyed. It's also useful to inflate the tires to 35 psi when they are cold.

I choose to self insure rather than buying a tire and rim protection package. It's paid off in the long run for me. I've never had to replace a rim and that's with many, many years of daily interstate commuting. If I was in an area with deep potholes I would take the package.
David_in_CT and BigHeadClan like this.

2018 Q50 3.0t Lux, Liquid Platinum
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburton View Post
I keep an air compressor in the trunk just in case I pick up a nail so that I can stop and reinflate the tire as many times as it takes to reach a service station before the sidewall is destroyed. It's also useful to inflate the tires to 35 psi when they are cold.

I choose to self insure rather than buying a tire and rim protection package. It's paid off in the long run for me. I've never had to replace a rim and that's with many, many years of daily interstate commuting. If I was in an area with deep potholes I would take the package.
Yes. I had to use the tire inflator that is in my trunk. I started out at 0 PSI. It took it to 20 psi before I started seeing smoke come out of tire inflator. I'll be looking at amazon for a much quicker, and better built machine. In my area, there are craters everywhere. My fav video of all time:

The area that video was taken is the same area that I live and work in (like 15 mins away). That type of hole is common and some people are nice enough to put a cone right in the hole so it is easy visible (especially when it rains and it fills up so you won't know how massive it is).

The guys in the video on the other hand did nothing to stop the carnage. It was evil and they did it to get the sweet views and revenue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in