User Tag List

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Default Blown Motor at 11k miles

Hey guys, just thought I’d share my recent experience with my Q. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and returned on April 5th and had the car sitting in the garage the whole time. Once I get back, I take the car out and there is nothing leaking from the car, everything seemed normal. I go to a friends house later than night and on my way home, I hear a rattling sound coming from the engine bay (luckily I was less then a mike from home when I heard it). So I then schedule an appointment to drop off my car the next morning to my local dealership which was about 20 miles away. I was driving very cautiously, making sure I didn’t make things worse. As I was about to take my exit off the freeway the battery light flashed on the dashboard and the car shut off. At the time I was thinking maybe the alternator went out since the battery light came in. I coasted to the side of the freeway and got it towed the rest of the way to the dealership. I drop off my car and get a loaner and the advisor said she’d call me when she finds out what’s wrong. About 4 hours later I get a call saying that my motor was blown and that there was no oil in the car which caused it to seize up. This was shocking news as I had changed the oil at 6k miles and I was at 11k when this happened. She said she saw that the oil filter was on loose and there was oil everywhere under the car. Which again, makes no sense as the car was sitting for 2 weeks and not a drop of oil was anywhere to be seen. She then stated she has to wait for the mechanic to be in to find out what really happened with the oil. I then got very upset and began to fight back saying there’s no way that could be the issue and that this is an Infiniti issue and Infiniti needs to resolve it. She fought back saying I might have to go back to the shop that did my oil change and have them pay for damages. Keep in mind I’m facing $15k worth of repairs at the dealership. She said she’ll give me a call when the mechanic does his work. The next time she called me and apologized saying that the oil filter wasn’t loose and there was no oil to be found anywhere under the car, then sends me pictures proving that. She then asked for an invoice from my oil change so she can send to Infiniti USA and set up a claim which I provided for her. About 4 days later she gives me a call saying that Infiniti USA wants them to check the oil pan, tear apart the motor and check the turbos to see what was causing the oil consumption. So I let them do what they have to do and yesterday, I got a call from the advisor saying that the claim got approved and they believe that the turbos were burning more oil than normal but it’s not 100% sure. They are going to be doing a full engine replacement on Infiniti USA’s expense. This whole situation has got me worried for future situations that they’ll try to pin on me rather than approving any warranty claims. Moral of the story is to check your oil frequently and keep your receipts from all oil changes.

PS: our cars do not tell us when we are running low on oil for some reason. This is a stupid design flaw. My 2000 Volvo V70 tells me when it’s low on oil...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
q50adix, BigHeadClan and Boxy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)

This isn't the first I've heard/seen blown VR30 engine due to loss of oil. Hence the reason why I always check the oil level every time I inspect the belt alignment. I kind of expected the oil consumption since this is a turbo vehicle (but not to lose it entirely especially < 10k miles). Checking the belt alignment every now and then ticks me off though.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post
This isn't the first I've heard/seen blown VR30 engine due to loss of oil. Hence the reason why I always check the oil level every time I inspect the belt alignment. I kind of expected the oil consumption since this is a turbo vehicle (but not to lose it entirely especially < 10k miles). Checking the belt alignment every now and then ticks me off though.
belt alignment drives me insanse at first im like noooo.....valve tap....oh nvm crap thats a belt problem -__-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)

Garage

You should be changing your oil more often than 6k with this car IMO. I'm getting ready to do my first at 3k and will bring it to Nissan at 6k for them to perform it for warranty reasons.

Also, somewhat off topic but for those that don't bring their car to the dealership for oil changes, if you go to a 3rd party shop, make sure it is ASE certified. The oil change will be reported by VIN and will show up on a carfax report etc
fixitlouie likes this.

TRADED:'14 Graphite Shadow Sport AWD*Deluxe Touring Pkg*19x9.5 SVE Drift Wheels*Gold lug nuts*35% tint*AEM Intakes*Carbon Fiber Grill cover, front/rear Mt Fuji emblems, trunk trim pieces* Debadged*Cuztom Tuning Diffuser*Brakenetic Gold Sport Slotted Rotors*Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads

CURRENT: 2019 Graphite Shadow Luxe RWD *JB4 w/ Fuel Wires*BMS Intakes*AMS Lower Downpipes*Frozen Boost 101*
423 whp, 450 tq at 16.8psi with E30 (without LDP or HX)
Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)

Garage

Aye its always super important to check oil at least once a month, but with a high powered turbo engine every week or so is pretty much required. Sad that had to happen to you sir glad they ended up
covering warranty even if they were dicks about it.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50adix View Post

Yea It burned it all within 5k miles. That’s insane

Old 04-19-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serstylz2 View Post
You should be changing your oil more often than 6k with this car IMO. I'm getting ready to do my first at 3k and will bring it to Nissan at 6k for them to perform it for warranty reasons.

Also, somewhat off topic but for those that don't bring their car to the dealership for oil changes, if you go to a 3rd party shop, make sure it is ASE certified. The oil change will be reported by VIN and will show up on a carfax report etc

6k is not a lot judging that the manual says every 10k. Cars should not burn that much oil in 5k miles. Something was obviously wrong

Old 04-19-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Aye its always super important to check oil at least once a month, but with a high powered turbo engine every week or so is pretty much required. Sad that had to happen to you sir glad they ended up

covering warranty even if they were dicks about it.

Yea this is a lesson learned and I’ll be doing oil changes at the dealership to avoid anything from happening. I’m just glad everything worked out in my favor.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q50N View Post
Yea this is a lesson learned and I’ll be doing oil changes at the dealership to avoid anything from happening. I’m just glad everything worked out in my favor.

On my Q50 RS, there was oil leaking into one of the turbos, which caused some really bad gas mileage and power loss, so all that had to be replaced. Maybe that's where your oil went.

The service manager also told me that when they have to replace one of the turbos, that usually means the second one is going to go out on it too. I have warranty, but still.

On top of that, its already went through a water pump, belt, AC pulley, tensioner, EGT sensor, AF sensor.

It is going back in again because the new belt they put on is screeching already. They will have to replace all that stuff again, but now it will be the 5th time in for that, and a total of 27 days downtime in the 20 months I have had it. I'm pursuing a lemon law claim to get the vehicle replaced, it just can't be fixed.

Last edited by helterstupid; 04-19-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:50 PM
Q50 Addict

Location: Minnesota, the greater Minneapolis-St Paul metropolitan area where we have too much effen traffic
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q50N View Post
6k is not a lot judging that the manual says every 10k. Cars should not burn that much oil in 5k miles. Something was obviously wrong

Virtually all manufacturer's don't consider oil use excessive until it is more than a quart in 1000 miles. Five thousand miles can easily result in an engine with no oil. Not saying that is the norm, but there are instances where this happens. See Car and Driver's most recent Ford Shelby GT350 long term test...they added 21.5 quarts over 40,000 miles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...lity-update-3/
BigHeadClan likes this.

2018 Iridium Blue, AWD, Q50 Red Sport w/ Sensory and ProACTIVE packages and an illuminated grille emblem that is no longer anything special as my neighbor's lowly Chevy truck has one too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in