2015 q50s Front Pad Life? - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ACP11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: toronto, Canada
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default 2015 q50s Front Pad Life?

Does anyone know roughly how many kms I should be getting out of the original oem front pads? I currently have 65,000km on the vehicle and the front pads were never changed....Its a little hard to see the front pad through the sport calipers but when I took off my wheel they seem to be about 30-50%...Does that sound right? I wouldnt think front pads last that long.

On the contrary the rear pads were replaced when I bought the vehicle at 44,000km as I know the rear pads wear much quicker then the front.

2015 Q50s Tech Pack
White
ACP11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
djrice123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
 
Default

If you turn off the Active Trace Control, the rear pads will last longer. But 60-80K is typical for brake wear usage. All depends on your driving style as well. When in doubt, just change it. Thats the only thing that will save your life when you need to use it


Check your owners manual and see the recommended brake pad replacement interval if your un-certain
djrice123 is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
ACP11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: toronto, Canada
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrice123 View Post
If you turn off the Active Trace Control, the rear pads will last longer. But 60-80K is typical for brake wear usage. All depends on your driving style as well. When in doubt, just change it. Thats the only thing that will save your life when you need to use it


Check your owners manual and see the recommended brake pad replacement interval if your un-certain
I see ok thanks...just for curiosity when did you change your front brake pads if you did by now did you also change the rotors? Im debating if those should be changed too

2015 Q50s Tech Pack
White
ACP11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
djrice123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACP11 View Post
I see ok thanks...just for curiosity when did you change your front brake pads if you did by now did you also change the rotors? Im debating if those should be changed too
Haven't changed mine yet. Mines a 17 and only have 37K on it so far. Be awhile before I change mine. If your doing pads anyway, and have the budget, might as well replace the rotors as well so everything is new. Clean surface for the pads to mate to. But you can check your local dealership and see if they will turn the rotors. As in shave some of the surface off to new. Cheaper than replacing the whole rotor. When I worked at Nissan, Service Dept did that instead of rotor replacement IF the rotors were still good/have lots of life on them.
djrice123 is online now  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Q50 Addict
 
BigHeadClan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cal, AB
Posts: 3,159
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

As Mr Rice was saying the rear pads wear quicker due to active trace control, typically about 30-50% sooner than the front pads how long you get out of a set depends on a lot of variables such
as driving habit but typically you can get 40K miles before needed to replace either front or back.

I personally change both fronts and back at the same time to keep same type of pad consistent.
rpiotro and q50adix like this.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
BigHeadClan is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Q50 Addict
 
Avedis53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Newport, Oregon
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
As Mr Rice was saying the rear pads wear quicker due to active trace control, typically about 30-50% sooner than the front pads how long you get out of a set depends on a lot of variables such
as driving habit but typically you can get 40K miles before needed to replace either front or back.

I personally change both fronts and back at the same time to keep same type of pad consistent.
I've been driving with ATC disabled since day one. My front and rear pad wear was the same after 15,000 miles.
BigHeadClan likes this.

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package (Sport) - ProACTIVE Package - Continental DWS 06 A/S tires - BMS JB4 w/BT Rev.3 Connect Kit - Mishimoto OCC - XPEL Ultimate Protective Paint Film - Color-matched rear deck spoiler - PrecisionLED interior light kit - Tuxmats - StrongArm trunk lifts - Escort 360c radar detector w/Blendmount & MirrorTap - Vantrue N2 Pro dashcam
Avedis53 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
djrice123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedis53 View Post
I've been driving with ATC disabled since day one. My front and rear pad wear was the same after 15,000 miles.
Exactly. Enable it and see if it changes anything

2017 Q50S SilverSport
Majestic White/Drivers Assistance Package/SunTek PPF/IGL Kenzo Ceramic/Suntek Tint
GBN Gloss Black Front Splitter/GBN Gloss Back Rear Diffuser/Rogue Style Rear Spoiler Paint Matched
djrice123 is online now  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Q50 Addict
 
rpiotro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,309
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrice123 View Post
Haven't changed mine yet. Mines a 17 and only have 37K on it so far. Be awhile before I change mine. If your doing pads anyway, and have the budget, might as well replace the rotors as well so everything is new. Clean surface for the pads to mate to. But you can check your local dealership and see if they will turn the rotors. As in shave some of the surface off to new. Cheaper than replacing the whole rotor. When I worked at Nissan, Service Dept did that instead of rotor replacement IF the rotors were still good/have lots of life on them.
Even better is if the dealer has an on-vehicle brake lathe. The rotors are cut in situ and when done are VERY straight. They also then tend to stay that way. The whole job was a little costly at just over $300.00 per axle but I thought it was worth it. OEM pads, complete new hardware kits. The brakes are very smooth. Having a hybrid there was the additional incentive to have original braking performance for proper balance between mechanical braking and regen.

I had the rears done at ~35K miles and the fronts at ~45K miles.

Chestnut Bronze/Wheat 2014 Q50 Hybrid AWD with tech package.

"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
H. L. Mencken
rpiotro is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ACP11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: toronto, Canada
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
 
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedis53 View Post
I've been driving with ATC disabled since day one. My front and rear pad wear was the same after 15,000 miles.
doesnt ATC have to be disabled when in Personal Mode only? It cant be disable all the time correct?

2015 Q50s Tech Pack
White
ACP11 is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Q50 Addict
 
Avedis53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Newport, Oregon
Posts: 3,948
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrice123 View Post
Exactly. Enable it and see if it changes anything
Why?

2018 Q50 RS 400 AWD - Graphite Shadow - Sensory Package (Sport) - ProACTIVE Package - Continental DWS 06 A/S tires - BMS JB4 w/BT Rev.3 Connect Kit - Mishimoto OCC - XPEL Ultimate Protective Paint Film - Color-matched rear deck spoiler - PrecisionLED interior light kit - Tuxmats - StrongArm trunk lifts - Escort 360c radar detector w/Blendmount & MirrorTap - Vantrue N2 Pro dashcam
Avedis53 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome