Sudden Loss of Power - Infiniti Q50 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Default Sudden Loss of Power

I've been working with AMS on getting e-tune. They told me to give it **** and data log the trip, which I did on Sunday. All went well, no problems and the data log looked good per AMS.

Drove home Sunday evening and drove to work this morning without problems. Left work today and suddenly have no power. The car appears to be working fine otherwise, no CELs, no smoke, just a severe lack of power.

I did a data log and have sent that off to AMS. While I wait, I wanted to post in here to see if anyone had an idea of what I can check. During the logging I noticed my atmospheric pressure was anywhere from 12PSI to 14PSI, whereas yesterday during the spirited driving it was mid to high 13s. Turbos appear to be spinning normally and are building some boost, just not much...with a boost error well north of 10-15PSI while cruising.

Are there any charge hoses that like to loosen themselves during spirited driving? Almost feels like a decent sized boost leak.

2018 Q50 RS400 AWD - Majestic White - Sensory Package - 15% Tint - AMS Red Alpha HE - AMS Red Alpha Tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuguy06 View Post
I've been working with AMS on getting e-tune. They told me to give it **** and data log the trip, which I did on Sunday. All went well, no problems and the data log looked good per AMS.

Drove home Sunday evening and drove to work this morning without problems. Left work today and suddenly have no power. The car appears to be working fine otherwise, no CELs, no smoke, just a severe lack of power.

I did a data log and have sent that off to AMS. While I wait, I wanted to post in here to see if anyone had an idea of what I can check. During the logging I noticed my atmospheric pressure was anywhere from 12PSI to 14PSI, whereas yesterday during the spirited driving it was mid to high 13s. Turbos appear to be spinning normally and are building some boost, just not much...with a boost error well north of 10-15PSI while cruising.

Are there any charge hoses that like to loosen themselves during spirited driving? Almost feels like a decent sized boost leak.
Happened to me once or twice before. Pull over, turned off the engine, restart, boosts normally. No CEL.

Why did this happen? Dunno… but it felt like the car went into limp mode.

2017 Q60 Red Sport AWD Iridium Blue / Monaco Red / Premium Plus Package 3.0t Sport / Infiniti Sport Mats / FI Full Catted DPs & CBE / Stoptech Trophy BBK FR & RR w/SS-Braided Brake Lines / Infiniti HE / Infiniti Intakes / AMS HPFP / Ecutek Tune / BMS Pedal Tuner / Infiniti Radiant Sport Grille / EMM Tuning CF Foglight Finishers / CF Duckbill RR Spoiler / Mishimoto OCC / Stillen Rear Stab Future: AMS LPFP / AMS CF DS / Z1 LSD / Vorsteiner 20" VFF 112s (Staggered) / Michelin Pilot 4Ss

Last edited by IridiumRS400; 07-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridiumRS400 View Post
Happened to me once or twice before. Pull over, turned off the engine, restart, boosts normally. No CEL.

Why did this happen? Dunno… but it like the car went into limp mode.

Same thing happened to my stock Premium about a month ago. I was on the expressway and suddenly had no get up and go. Decided not to freak, made it to the theater, watched movie, started car and all was well. Hasn't happened since.

2015 Q50 Premium (RWD), Graphite Shadow, 19" Rohana RF2's DWS06 8.5/+40/245/40 - 9.5/+35/275/35

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying - Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks guys! That did the trick!

Was watching the data logger as I went out again and noticed the atmospheric pressure was pretty consistent at 13.7 PSI. Almost like sometimes, something doesn't boot up correctly during the start procedure and that causes the pressure to bounce around?? No idea if that's it, but just seems weird that the two are somewhat correlated.

2018 Q50 RS400 AWD - Majestic White - Sensory Package - 15% Tint - AMS Red Alpha HE - AMS Red Alpha Tune
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After reading these threads I don't know if I feel any better. Same exact sequence of events - started normally, got onto freeway, then completely limp. Managed to get it back home, started it again and totally normal.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuguy06 View Post
Any DTCs listed in EcuTek?

I went through many situations of loss of power to the car just shutting off over the past year; each time had different DTCs triggered. All of the ended up being the result of bugs with EcuTek. For what it is and does, EcuTek is a great product and well engineered; however, it most definitely has some software bugs. My issues have been resolved with newer RaceROM patches (which you should definitely have if AMS recently tuned the vehicle), although EcuTek was not able to explain why new patches resolved my issues -- they attribute it to a lucky fix. I expect near perfect from AMS, but I would warn you to expect difficult times with EcuTek.

(The only alternative option is UpRev which I find to be absolute dog ****, both on other platforms and the VR30.)

2017 Q60 AWD - 414 whp, 494 wtq [Red Alpha Cold Air Intake Kit, Red Alpha Heat Exchanger, Red Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank, Red Alpha Auxiliary Coolant Tank, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, Infiniti Akebono Big Brake Kit, Infiniti Q60 Helmholtz Sport Exhaust, aFe Power Y-pipe/Mid-pipe resonated, Red Alpha Lower Downpipes, Red Alpha Aluminum AWD Driveshaft, AMS Red Alpha Tune]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Just brought my car to the dealer last night for what sounds like is the same issue. I’m stock haven’t tried any modding 2019 q50 RS. I’ve noticed it a few times, but it is becoming normal now. It does it all the time and a reset dosent work sometimes. I took the service tech for a drive and pulled up the performance screen that shows how hard I’m pushing the throttle- they could believe I was 50-75% down and the car was responding so slowly. They took in car videos to have a record. The 300hp 3.0t loner they put me in feels faster- that sucks. It’s a huge safety concern to me because twice I went to pass someone and had a total loss of power. My 16 red sport never acted like this. I’m so frustrated.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)

Garage

This happened to my car pre-EcuTec tune. Limp mode big time. Then a second time, but after 2 severe FEB activations, while passing. (almost caused an accident)
Shut car off for a few minutes and back to normal.
Been good after EcuTec updates. Looking forward to CC map switching and launch mode!

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
This happened to my car pre-EcuTec tune. Limp mode big time. Then a second time, but after 2 severe FEB activations, while passing. (almost caused an accident)
Shut car off for a few minutes and back to normal.
Been good after EcuTec updates. Looking forward to CC map switching and launch mode!
Excuse my ignorance, but what does FEB stand for?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)

Garage

Forward Emergency Braking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in