User Tag List

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Default Bad turbo!

Just got word from the dealer, diver side has a bad turbo. Something about the waste gate/bad seal. 2017 premium with 26k miles. Lucky me! At least it's covered under warranty. Parts will be in next week but in the meantime they said it's ok to drive until then. Is this a torque issue, bad parts for certain vin's, etc? I'm sure it could be a number of things, I just hope it doesn't happen again and out of warranty. The car has never been modded.
jodedor and adro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)

Garage

Hey Rdj,

Do you mind giving some history of the issue, how it was discovered, symptoms you noticed etc. It just helps out people who are searching through the forums when trying to diagnose problems.

As far as Turbo failures go this is probably the 2nd or 3rd report we've seen in the forums about a turbo going bad. One was an impeller failure and the other was an oil issue of some kind both had their cars tuned,
the first person was running a very aggressive tune but it's unlikely the cause of the failure. I think you just had some bad luck, we have a fair number of community members that have been running tunes for 2+ years without any turbo issues.

This isn't a common issue with the platform so we don't have any TSB or any official notice from Infiniti that would provide a VIN/Model ranges being affected.
I know the Q60 forum has a thread where one member spoke to an SA and they stated turbos having to be replaced frequently but
they only represent a single shop and provide no details on the trim/engine/model that was having issues.

Not to mention it was a thread for a year ago and there has been no updates since, these turbos may have issues later on in life
but right now there isn't enough high-mileage cars on the road to really say either way.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I started to hear a whining noise from the front of the car roughly a month ago. It slowly got louder, nothing crazy loud but certainly noticeable. The tech didnt hear it initially but I went I took a drive with him and he them heard it. He mentioned he was from the Nissan side and this being a newer dealership in KY I suppose he was moved here. I can get better details next week for you once the car gets worked on but initially he mentioned the wastegate. I didn't talk directly to the tech, it was the service manager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)

Other than the noise, were there any other symptoms? Power change or loss? How did they diagnose it as a "bad turbo"? Was it not making the correct amount of boost?

2017 Q50S (Silver Sport) AWD | Iridium Blue w/ Stone Interior | Upgraded 19" Black Chrome Accessory Wheels
DAS | Premium Pkg, Drive Assist Pkg, Illum Kickplates, Maple Wood | Winter wheels 18x8 with Michelin X-ice Xi3 225/50R18
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:47 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)

My friend's 2017 Q60 recently had bad turbos (oil leak + CEL). They let him drove it until the replacement (updated version) arrived, took approximately 2 weeks. Replaced under warranty.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
Other than the noise, were there any other symptoms? Power change or loss? How did they diagnose it as a "bad turbo"? Was it not making the correct amount of boost?
I talked to them a little yesterday when I got my car back, while I wait for the parts. Apparently they used those little mics and placed them in areas around the car, that's how they confirmed it was a bad driver side turbo. If anyone has specific questions you'd like me to ask them please post them here and I will ask next week when I take the car back.

As far as power loss, no I haven't experienced any but I will say that when I get on it the noise is definitely audible and I can for sure say it has gotten worse/louder in the last few weeks and only seems to be getting louder, so until it gets replaced I'll be babying her. I'm assuming since I haven't experienced power loss then I'm not experiencing boost loss.
Q602B, BigHeadClan and jodedor like this.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 AM
Über Member

Thanks for the information. I've been experiencing a whine/whistle that I can hear starting around 3k RPM with moderate to heavy acceleration. This started for me back in February. It hasn't gotten worse for me. I had the vehicle at the dealer last month to check it out and they found everything okay.

I have a feeling it may be an early symptom of something and will be keeping an eye (...err, ear) on it.
BigHeadClan and rdjr74 like this.

2017 Q50S (Silver Sport) AWD | Iridium Blue w/ Stone Interior | Upgraded 19" Black Chrome Accessory Wheels
DAS | Premium Pkg, Drive Assist Pkg, Illum Kickplates, Maple Wood | Winter wheels 18x8 with Michelin X-ice Xi3 225/50R18
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I've been experiencing a whine/whistle that I can hear starting around 3k RPM with moderate to heavy acceleration. This started for me back in February. It hasn't gotten worse for me. I had the vehicle at the dealer last month to check it out and they found everything okay.

I have a feeling it may be an early symptom of something and will be keeping an eye (...err, ear) on it.
Hmmm any chance it's early signs of belt issues? Few other members report some whine/whistles and then the belt goes on them shortly after.
jodedor likes this.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Über Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan View Post
Hmmm any chance it's early signs of belt issues? Few other members report some whine/whistles and then the belt goes on them shortly after.
No, that is why I had the dealer check it out. No issues with the belt. Other members reported squeals. This sound is different.
BigHeadClan and rdjr74 like this.

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, that is why I had the dealer check it out. No issues with the belt. Other members reported squeals. This sound is different.
Absolutely, this sound resembles nothing of a squeal, as you would here with a belt, this is a flat out annoying little whine. Starts out constant under acceleration and with more throttle it gets a bit louder then as you let off it slowly goes away. Coasting you hear nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in