User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Default Cat Converter Replacement Options

Hello all i was just wondering. I know to stay away from universal cats. However after researching this forum and the g37 forums it seems everyone needs to mention High flow cats as a replacement.

I don't mind going with resonated high flow cats. I wouldn't mind a bit of sound. However the hiss sound on deceleration would definitely annoy the **** out of me.

I was wondering if there is anything similar to the oem cats. Both of these are direct fit..... i was wondering if they would be sufficient. (i don't live in cali btw). Just looking for experiences from others.

https://mufflerexpress.com/products/...SABEgKLFPD_BwE

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=3300363&jsn=8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:44 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces88 View Post
Hello all i was just wondering. I know to stay away from universal cats. However after researching this forum and the g37 forums it seems everyone needs to mention High flow cats as a replacement.

I don't mind going with resonated high flow cats. I wouldn't mind a bit of sound. However the hiss sound on deceleration would definitely annoy the **** out of me.

I was wondering if there is anything similar to the oem cats. Both of these are direct fit..... i was wondering if they would be sufficient. (i don't live in cali btw). Just looking for experiences from others.

Pretty sure both examples you used are the stock or at least OEM equivalent, for $350-$400 your not getting any improvements. I'd say go with just a highflow cats from Z1, Fast intentions or
Berk.

https://www.fastintentions.com/produ...roducts_id/295

That little hiss your hearing is either because of a cold start or the cats simply need to settle. It's not strange after a month or two of driving for your exhaust note to change, and that's assuming you can actually
hear that hiss when your in the car with windows up.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

2009 G37 X - Blue Slate - Michelin X-Ice 3/ Michelin AS/3+ Location: The Great White North

Planned Mods: Takeda Stage II Intakes, Borla Catback Exhaust,
G-Stop SS brake lines, Megan Racing Upper Strut-Tower.

“Passion rules reason, for better or for worse.” - Terry Goodkind
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Quote:

I have resonated hks lower downpipes and tanabe catback sound is perfect on stock exhaust I would bet they would be barely detectable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Quote:

On my 3.7 G37, anything that free'd up the exhaust flow would pronounce the hissing on acceleration. The hiss on decel was only slight during low 2k RPM.

If you do not care about performance, grab the OEM replacement cat. If you do care about performance and have the $, grab the Fast Intentions Resonated HFC.

17' Q50 RS
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for replies. I’m more concerned with quality for the ones I posted. I know some universal cats give out after a year.

Just wanted to check that they aren’t cheap quality as I’m unfamiliar.

I would also consider some high flow cats but right now leaning toward something similar to oem.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:29 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)

Garage

No clue which car and year you have. 🤔

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Car is 2014. Obviously the 3.7.

I have a rattle under the car.a accompanies by loss of power.... mpg and noticing a rotten egg smell from tailpipes somewhat.

The loss of power isn’t noticeable to someone who doesn’t drive it everyday. But it’s annoying to me.

I took the car to Infiniti and they claim “it’s fine”. I don’t trust them.

Indy mechanic said it could Be the cats. He isn’t 100% sure. I’m convinced it is.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

Quote:
Car is 2014. Obviously the 3.7.

I have a rattle under the car.a accompanies by loss of power.... mpg and noticing a rotten egg smell from tailpipes somewhat.

The loss of power isn’t noticeable to someone who doesn’t drive it everyday. But it’s annoying to me.

I took the car to Infiniti and they claim “it’s fine”. I don’t trust them.

Indy mechanic said it could Be the cats. He isn’t 100% sure. I’m convinced it is.
Other CHEAP option is to pull the cat, gut it, and re-install.

17' Q50 RS
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)

Garage

If the cat is bad it should pop a CEL. Any codes? You do have a code reader? Not being turbocharged going to high flo downpipes won't make a big difference.

Don't be wasted $ on parts you may not need. The cats should be covered if your mileage is low enough being EPA emission control parts. IIRC

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

No check engine. No code. I checked with multiple code readers.

I’m told by a couple places it could just be the heat shield. It’s a slight rattle... but what weird is it seems to be on and off. Sometimes louder when warmed up.

Def from under the car though. Is what it is though. I’ll figure something out. Rest of the car is in great condition. Thank you for all the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in