58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)

Default Itís been a great ride!

So my 2 leases and 5+ years of owning 2 Q50s is coming to an end. I have been on this forum since the beginning before the Q50 even hit dealers and learned a lot from the folks on this board and hope I contributed as well (although not much over the past few years).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and good luck!

Iím a few days away from picking up an Audi S5 Sportback as I needed a change and Infiniti doesnít appear to have anything new or updated that fits the bill. Iíve owned Infinitis since 2005 and there are definitely things that Iíll miss.

Interestingly, after reading about Infinitiís big losses recently, Iím not surprised. My lease buyout/residual is over $36k but the value on my car is around $24k. While I enjoyed the lower lease payments due to the inflated residual (WAY better than Audiís leases) I donít see how a company can survive with this model and it looks like they are starting to realize that.

Itís going to be an interesting time for Infiniti and I hope they pull out of their financial mess ok - lots to offer.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. Iíll check back periodically to see whatís new. Maybe an Infiniti is in the cards down the line some time.
Q602B, druhoops, rpiotro and 4 others like this.

Relax. . . It's just a car

06 M
08 G35x
10 G37xS
2014 Q50sAWD Graphite/Graphite: Nav, Touring, Tech and what the heck, throw in a spare tire
2016 Q50 RS400 with all option packages + illuminated kick plates and rear decklid spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)

Garage

Enjoy your Audi. The S5 is nice. Are you leasing it?
Thanks for your contributions during your time here.

Be well!.. John
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInNH View Post
Enjoy your Audi. The S5 is nice. Are you leasing it?
Thanks for your contributions during your time here.

Be well!.. John
Thanks John! Yeah, Iím excited for the S5-something special about that car. Audi leases donít have inflated residuals so they donít lease very well. When I did the math, purchasing and leasing were about the same and since I canít write off a lease any longer, Iím deciding if it makes sense to buy, accelerate the payments and keep the car for a longer period of time with no car payments at some point. We just did that with my wifeís Q5 and Iím happy with that decision. I use to fool myself into thinking I wanted a new car every few years but when I looked back at my past run of leases, I ended up re-leasing the same car multiple times so I think I disproved that theory for myself. I THINK the S5 will be the same.

One thing Audi does that I understand but donít like is that they hit the residuals for the Prestige trim cars extra hard so they are lower by 2-3% vs the standard dealer inventory Premium+ models. The added MSRP at first purchase attracts buyers to pay more then but once they hit the used market, Audi has found that people arenít willing to pay the premium for the higher trim so there is an additional hit for the residual on Prestige models. That can be offset by 1% with Audi care (separate purchased maintenance plan that is well worth the cost) but it still makes the lease payment very close to the monthly payment when financing.

The good news is that the buyout isnít too far off from the residual so I could look at a lease, make sure I like the car and then buy it out at the end without the $12k hit like my Q50 would have.

So Iím leaning toward a long term finance and prepaying extra each month(I like the flexibility of the lower payment each month in case I ever Ďneedí it). With the math, it looks like I would be about even after 3 and 5 years but ahead if I pay the car off early and keep it - a high likelihood in this case.

At least the Fed lowered rates last week so the finance rates came down by that .25% in most cases. Chalk one up for timing!

Decisions, decisions. . .

Thanks again!
Fateswarning and Jeffpeds like this.

06 M
08 G35x
10 G37xS
2014 Q50sAWD Graphite/Graphite: Nav, Touring, Tech and what the heck, throw in a spare tire
2016 Q50 RS400 with all option packages + illuminated kick plates and rear decklid spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:38 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Garage

Enjoy your time with your new ride, one of my neighbors are strictly German cars,VW, he has a S5, and his son just got himself the RS3.
Jeffpeds likes this.

2017 Red Sport 400, Megan LDP, Custom Exhaust, JB1 at +3. Chrome Delete.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM
Master Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkay View Post
So my 2 leases and 5+ years of owning 2 Q50s is coming to an end. I have been on this forum since the beginning before the Q50 even hit dealers and learned a lot from the folks on this board and hope I contributed as well (although not much over the past few years).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone and good luck!

Iím a few days away from picking up an Audi S5 Sportback as I needed a change and Infiniti doesnít appear to have anything new or updated that fits the bill. Iíve owned Infinitis since 2005 and there are definitely things that Iíll miss.

Interestingly, after reading about Infinitiís big losses recently, Iím not surprised. My lease buyout/residual is over $36k but the value on my car is around $24k. While I enjoyed the lower lease payments due to the inflated residual (WAY better than Audiís leases) I donít see how a company can survive with this model and it looks like they are starting to realize that.

Itís going to be an interesting time for Infiniti and I hope they pull out of their financial mess ok - lots to offer.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. Iíll check back periodically to see whatís new. Maybe an Infiniti is in the cards down the line some time.
INFINITI will be fine. They will be here after every single member on this forum is 6 feet under. Nissan has invested heavily into technology that will begin showing up in the next few years. The investment has clearly cost them customers and delayed new models. However with the technology revolution in the automotive industry it will pay off 10 fold.
Q602B, jkay, Fateswarning and 2 others like this.

2018 Q50 AWD Hybrid Black Pearl (Premium Paint). OEM Welcome Lighting OEM Spoiler. Splash Guards.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Master Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleDom View Post
Enjoy your time with your new ride, one of my neighbors are strictly German cars,VW, he has a S5, and his son just got himself the RS3.

Interesting we have similar neighbors then. Unfortunately my neighbors seem to always have service loaners parked in their driveways.

2018 Q50 AWD Hybrid Black Pearl (Premium Paint). OEM Welcome Lighting OEM Spoiler. Splash Guards.
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 AM
‹ber Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffpeds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleDom View Post

Interesting we have similar neighbors then. Unfortunately my neighbors seem to always have service loaners parked in their driveways.
so are you saying you may not be making a good decision ( sorry I thought it was jkay), I would be concerned. I thought of getting an S4 before getting into the Infinity, I made the right choice.
WC Roadie likes this.

2017 Red Sport 400, Megan LDP, Custom Exhaust, JB1 at +3. Chrome Delete.

Last edited by mapleDom; 08-04-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)

That makes sense. They seem pretty nice. Audi gets knocked for being unreliable post-warrantee but a lot of people swear by them. @Jefleds frequent loaner car observations not withstanding.

Iíve not be a fan of the fast-back trend like the Stinger and Accord. The proportions just look off to me. The Audi does look pretty good though.

In 3-5 years the electrified Q may lure you back. Please check back in with some pics and a review.

2015 Obsidian Black, Premium, RWD. SunTek CXP 25%, 5% Rear. Blubatoverlays, LED and reverse cut out tail light tints. Midnight Black Grille. Konig Oversteer Wheels 19x8.5 +30, 19x9.5 +40. Continental Extreme Contacts 245/40, 275/35. Tein Flex Z Coilovers. Blacked out chrome (Coming).
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Q50 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffpeds View Post
I had that anxiety when we went from a string of Lexus SUVs for my wife to her Q5 a year and a half ago. Other than some software bugs for the infotainment system (I remember those in the early days of the Q50 as well) her car has been rock solid.

I’ve also been on the Audi threads quite a bit while researching her car and the S5 and other than a few early model rattles, I’m not seeing any validation that the quality of the Audis are any worse than Infiniti.

Your neighbors may have a different experience but on the whole, Audi has really stepped up their game in this regard.

Now, maintenance costs - that’s a whole different story but I’m prepared for that. Most of the German manufacturers have either gotten rid of, or paired back their included maintenance plans but Audi does offer an Audi Care plan that covers the first set of big services and frankly, if they charged $1,000 more for the car and included the maintenance I wouldn’t have really cared.

FYI, Audi scores higher than Infiniti now for reliability in JD Powers (I know, I know - that’s not the be all/end all but can’t ignore it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB2982C4-C7E8-4A4D-B1D3-15E7367F2776.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	85159  

06 M
08 G35x
10 G37xS
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)

Garage

How can you measure reliably with a 2019 JDP quality report?
Do it 3-4 years later. Initial quality is an indicator to only some point. 😉
Just my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in