User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Default Y pipe replacement options -

Sorry to start a new thread. Basically my y pipe needs to be replaced. Both flex pipes are leaking, one more than the other. I'm looking at possible replacements.

In another thread someone mentioned the megan Y pipe is a great replacement? Just looking for a bit more feedback.

I don't want something that is going to hiss or drone. Is this a potential problem? I only ask cause i know the diameters are slightly different with the Megan pipe and OEM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)

You should include what year/engine your car is so people can help you better.

_
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD, Iridium Blue/Black leather
______
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, Icelandic Pearl White/Black leather - Supercharged 4AT (322 WHP / 307 WTQ)
2001.5 Audi S4, Santorin Blue Pearl/Black leather - Bi-Turbo 6MT AWD (300+ BHP)
2003 Acura TL Type S, Metallic Gray/Black leather - 5AT - Daily Driver
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Apologies I always forget. It’s a 2014 q50.

I’ve been chasing this problem for a couple months. Originally thought it was the cats. But confirmed it’s the flex pipes leaking.

The oem part is a bit expensive so the Megan one was suggested. Rest of my exhaust would be stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)

I believe Tanabe also makes a y-pipe as well. I have no clue how it compares to the Megan y-pipe.

2017 Q50S (Silver Sport) AWD | Iridium Blue w/ Stone Interior | Upgraded 19" Black Chrome Accessory Wheels
DAS | Premium Pkg, Drive Assist Pkg, Illum Kickplates, Maple Wood | Winter wheels 18x8 with Michelin X-ice Xi3 225/50R18
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Don’t care about sound or performance.
Just tying to figure out if any of these work as a oem replacement. Without screwing anything up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:16 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)

I have Megan Racing LDPs with no complaints. I haven't read about anyone complaining about Megan Racing exhaust products for our cars except the guy who bought one of the first Megan catbacks. Fitment was poor. YouTube Boost In Motion bought a cheap Y-Pipe for his 3.0t and it required bending to fit right. Without watching the video again, I can't recall if that was a MR Y or not. But, again, that was for the 3.0t. The 3.7 has been out long enough that I would think (hope) we'd have heard about any poor fitment of the MR Y. If cost is an issue for you, I'd give the MT Y a shot. Do report back with fitment results to help others. Good luck.

_
2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD, Iridium Blue/Black leather
______
1999 Nissan Maxima SE, Icelandic Pearl White/Black leather - Supercharged 4AT (322 WHP / 307 WTQ)
2001.5 Audi S4, Santorin Blue Pearl/Black leather - Bi-Turbo 6MT AWD (300+ BHP)
2003 Acura TL Type S, Metallic Gray/Black leather - 5AT - Daily Driver
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 AM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)

Garage

I've seen a number of people complain that the Megan flex pipes crapped out in about a year. i would look at Manzo, ISR or OBX Y pipes. You can use one from a 370Z or G37 as well, as they all fit the same.

TRADED:'14 Graphite Shadow Sport AWD*Deluxe Touring Pkg*19x9.5 SVE Drift Wheels*Gold lug nuts*35% tint*AEM Intakes*Carbon Fiber Grill cover, front/rear Mt Fuji emblems, trunk trim pieces* Debadged*Cuztom Tuning Diffuser*Brakenetic Gold Sport Slotted Rotors*Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads

CURRENT: 2019 Graphite Shadow Luxe RWD *JB4 w/ Fuel Wires*BMS Intakes*AMS Lower Downpipes*Frozen Boost 101*
423 whp, 450 tq at 16.8psi with E30 (without LDP or HX)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:51 AM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces88 View Post
Apologies I always forget. Itís a 2014 q50.

Iíve been chasing this problem for a couple months. Originally thought it was the cats. But confirmed itís the flex pipes leaking.

The oem part is a bit expensive so the Megan one was suggested. Rest of my exhaust would be stock.
A nice feature in the forum is you can your location and a signature. Most put their car info in it. If you want go to User CP and you can put it in that way. Really helps forum members give you good info without having to ask you about your car and for some parts like tires, oil, and heat exchangers offer better choices.

Just a suggestion... Hope you get your Y pipe issue worked out!

2018 AWD Q50 RS, Graphite Shadow, NO DAS, 255/40ZR19, Pilot Sport 4S, Stillen rear Anti-sway Bar on stiffest, AMS HE, Fast Intentions high flo cats, resonated X-pipe & CBE, VS Forged VS02 19"x9" +33 Slate Gray rims (20 lbs), AMS Intake, Z1 LSD, IPL badge, AMS badge, AMS expansion tank, EcuTek remote tune from Seb at Specialty-Z, Z1 HKS BOVs, AP Racing BBK Radi-Cal II calipers & J hook 2 piece rotors, SS lines, DOT 4, Level 10 Torque converter & transmission
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello all sorry to revive old thread. I haven't gotten around to doing this. Its been a busy month. However i came across a couple of used y pipes from a junkyard. One has like 35k worth of use and looks in great condition.

Would it be stupid to use a used part? I can get it super cheap as well which i like and their will be no question on fitment.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Why not? Go for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in