User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)

Default Winter Tire/Wheel Setup for Sport and Red Sport

I'm looking into buying a set of winter tires and wheels. I'm pretty certain I will go with Michelin X-ice Xi3, because they worked well on my past G35. As far as wheels I'm looking at 18" size in some options through tire rack, which are basically the cheaper Sport Edition brand wheels or the Enkei Raijin (more money). I have a Costco membership as well and could look at the Velox wheels but am unsure which would work for the Q50S and RS models.

Can anyone offer any feedback on the wheel choices? Also, what size tire are folks going with in 18". Looks like the equivalent size to maintain diameter would be 245/45R18, but that seems a bit wide for winter use. Otherwise, 225/50R18 is better for winter I think, but is 0.7% larger diameter so the speedo would show 51MPH when actually traveling 55MPH.

Thanks,
Damon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)

Garage

Seems like you're going in the right direction. Narrower tires will definitely be better in the snow than wider ones but I think your options are pretty limited. Just want to point out that the speedo will not be affected as much as you think. At .7% difference, speedo showing 50 mph will be an actual speed of 50.4 mph. At 90 mph on the speedo, you'll be traveling at 90.7 mph.

2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport (without all that nanny tech )

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)

I went with the Enkei Raijin. I like them a lot. Also have the X-ice. Super fun tire in the snow. Great grip.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	64018  

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 2019 QX50 Hermosa Blue; 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Über Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I went with the Enkei Raijin. I like them a lot. Also have the X-ice. Super fun tire in the snow. Great grip.

Where was the pic taken? Looks gorgeous.

2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport (without all that nanny tech )

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Alpine Meadows ski area in Tahoe. Mid-march this year. We had a lot of snow.

I'm a salesperson at an Infiniti Dealer in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or Email Me if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

Garage: 2016 Q50 AWD Red Sport Iridium Blue; 2019 QX50 Hermosa Blue; 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel; 1960 Austin Healey Sprite
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlockWar View Post
Seems like you're going in the right direction. Narrower tires will definitely be better in the snow than wider ones but I think your options are pretty limited. Just want to point out that the speedo will not be affected as much as you think. At .7% difference, speedo showing 50 mph will be an actual speed of 50.4 mph. At 90 mph on the speedo, you'll be traveling at 90.7 mph.
LOL, you're right. I of course used 7% difference instead of .7%. That's what I get for cranking through this on a quick lunch break.

Awesome pic Sinecure!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
LOL, you're right. I of course used 7% difference instead of .7%. That's what I get for cranking through this on a quick lunch break.

Awesome pic Sinecure!
Check the tire specs on tirerack, they can vary between brands/models, even
if they are the same size. Tread depth, width, revs/mile, etc. will vary.

The OEM SP SPORT 5000 DSST CTT P245/40RF19 is rated at 782 revolutions/mile.
X-ICE XI3 225/50R18 (10.5/32" tread depth) is listed as 774 revolutions/mile.
Blizzak WS80 225/50R18 (12/32" tread depth) = 775 revs/mile.

X-ICE 225/50R18 vs OEM = 1.0% difference. Still not very significant.

Look at Nokian as well, they'll cost a bit more, but arguably one of
the best you can get:
https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-t...kapeliitta-r2/
Hakkapeliita R2 225/50R18 (12/32" tread depth) = 776 revs/mile.

I had Hakka2's on my '93 Sentra SE-R, got 7 winters out of them, and
still had 6-8mm tread left. They had amazing traction in snow and ice,
accel, braking and cornering.
Also had General Altimax Arctic on my '98 Sentra SE -
they were decent as well, but not as good as the Nokians.

Last winter I had new Conti DWS06 on my Q50 Hybrid AWD.
They were O.K. accelerating in the snow/ice, but mostly due to AWD -
braking not nearly as good.
I'm considering getting Hakka R2 this winter.

2014 Q50 AWD Hybrid
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Über Member

@Sinecure I see you got your setup from Tirerack. Did you opt for the TPMS sensors through them as well? Also, do you have any side profile pictures of your winter wheels on your car. I ask, because I have an AWD Sport in Iridium Blue, so seeing your setup gives me a great visual for my car!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Garage

My current setup is 225/50/18 from tirerack which includes wheels. This was the set I was using on my previous Q60 (G37 coupe) so it was a seamless transition. Im going to be upgrading the tires to a more performance winter tire as I feel my current set just completely makes me lose all feel of the road and I hate that. The new new size I'm getting is 235/45/18 which was more optimal.

- 2016 Majestic White Q50S Red Sport - Loaded
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Stillen Front Splitter / Rays Eng Perform. Wheel Pkg / Michelin PSS / ONEighty Headlights / Midnight Grille / Rear Spoiler / Splash Shields / Welcome Lighting / Illuminated Kickplates / Interior Trim CF Wrap / Q60 Shift Boot/Knob

my ex's

'14 Moonlight White Q60S 6-mt - loaded
'12 Malbec Black G37xS Sedan 7AT - loaded
'08 Ivory Pearl G37S Coupe 6-mt - loaded
'07 Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6-mt - loaded

Last edited by Goonz; 09-14-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
@Sinecure I see you got your setup from Tirerack. Did you opt for the TPMS sensors through them as well? Also, do you have any side profile pictures of your winter wheels on your car. I ask, because I have an AWD Sport in Iridium Blue, so seeing your setup gives me a great visual for my car!
Nope, I'm a smart idiot. I kept the sensors from my 14 Q50, assuming they'd work in the 16. Fack no! So I have sensors in there, but they won't talk to my car. I just drive around all winter with the warning light on my dash. I did add a can of fix-a-flat to my trunk in case I get a flat.

More pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6824.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	64130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6826.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	64138  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in