1Likes
  • 1 Post By tjwheeles

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Default 19" Bright 5 spoke finish

I have a 2015 Q50 sport with the 19-Inch Split, 5-Spoke, Bright Wheel - Infiniti (999W1J2019)... The finish is coming off of all the rims. I'm currently look to purchase 4 new rims and have been looking at the charcoal and black versions. Does anyone have similar issues or can point me in the right direction? Any feedback on the durability of the other finishes would be great. I was also considering these. https://www.autorimshop.com/infiniti...im-152018.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	76753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	76761  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Q50 Addict

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)

Thatís kind of expected so I ceramic coated mine. I just donít know if the coating actually attached to the finish, i guess time will tell. I would have sent it for powder coating if i had the time.

Daily: '16 Q50 RS RWD | Ho-Hum Days: 7th Gen Maxima
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)

This might sound stupid, but have you tried AJAX and a good bristle brush? I had a very similar look on an older Chrysler Chromed rims, and it turned out to be severely baked on brake dust. (I do not mean to insult you if you have already tried and it truly is the finish peeling.)

2016 Malbec Black RS400 AWD | 255/40R19 Nokian ZLine AS | Q60 Shifter | Stillen CBE w/ CF Tips w/ Techtonics Tuning Venturi Inserts | BMS JB4 w/BT Rev.3 Connect Kit w/ Fuel Wires - Custom Map 6
"Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonianToro View Post
This might sound stupid, but have you tried AJAX and a good bristle brush? I had a very similar look on an older Chrysler Chromed rims, and it turned out to be severely baked on brake dust. (I do not mean to insult you if you have already tried and it truly is the finish peeling.)

LOL not stupid at all. No the finish is coming off. I thought about having them powder coated but 3 of the rims are bent due to NEPA pot holes... lol so i'm just going to buy new ones.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)

Garage

I have a brand new set I used for only 20 miles before switching to my winter wheel/tire set up. Unfortunately I can't sell those since I have to return the car with those wheels
If you're looking to replace, there's a guy in Plymouth, MA selling a staggered Red Sport set for a reasonable price.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5557...11337478984229

- 2016 Majestic White Q50S Red Sport - Loaded
Tanabe Medalion Exhaust / Stillen Rear Sway Bar / Stillen Front Splitter / Rays Eng Perform. Wheel Pkg / Michelin PSS / ONEighty Headlights / Midnight Grille / Rear Spoiler / Splash Shields / Welcome Lighting / Illuminated Kickplates / Interior Trim CF Wrap / Q60 Shift Boot/Knob

my ex's

'14 Moonlight White Q60S 6-mt - loaded
'12 Malbec Black G37xS Sedan 7AT - loaded
'08 Ivory Pearl G37S Coupe 6-mt - loaded
'07 Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6-mt - loaded

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:17 PM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)

Wow, those look horrible. I have the same black chrome wheels on my car. This better not happen to mine!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Master Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

I had an experience very similar to this on my 2006 factory upgraded Nissan Maxima chrome wheels. They flaked an peeled and discolored after about 1 year of use. Nissan didn't take anything back or issue a refund so I had to eat the loss. The wheels also began to leak at the bead. I took them off for winters too so they didn't have salt corrosion. They dubbed it "bad batch of chrome" but did nothing about it. I will never again go to chrome for my wheels, no matter the make or model.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

@damonb10 = How long have you had the car and how are the rime holding up? I was thinking about the Black chrome since my car is black I thought it would look good....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonz View Post
I have a brand new set I used for only 20 miles before switching to my winter wheel/tire set up. Unfortunately I can't sell those since I have to return the car with those wheels
If you're looking to replace, there's a guy in Plymouth, MA selling a staggered Red Sport set for a reasonable price.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5557...11337478984229
Great!! I just joined the group. I'll try reaching out today! Thanks!
Goonz likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:18 AM
‹ber Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwheeles View Post
@damonb10 = How long have you had the car and how are the rime holding up? I was thinking about the Black chrome since my car is black I thought it would look good....
The first thing I'll say is that I love the look of the wheels and they would definitely look great on a black Q50. In fact I briefly shopped some used Q50s before I bought mine and one example had that setup and looked sharp.

My car/wheels are only one year old. I run those wheels in the summer only and have put roughly 6000 miles on them. I take very good care of my car (OCD for sure). All that said, up to this point I haven't noticed any signs of deterioration. The wheels are made by Enkei, so I feel they should be a quality wheel. Maybe their have been some isolated bad batches or maybe more in the conditions of use that have led to the finish failing. Hard to say....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Infiniti Q50 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in