Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

BC Coilovers with or without Swifts?

23K views 55 replies 18 participants last post by  styles 
#1 ·
I been eyeing BC coil overs for a while, I rode in my friend's car and it was pretty harsh. Although granted he was....pretty low.

I been reading online that BC coil overs can be pretty harsh but if you upgrade to swift springs it would solve that issue and is also a great upgrade!

Anyone have any feedback? I'm only looking to drop an inch or 1.5

#3 ·
#5 ·
Just a note, did RSR springs with a friend and you dont need spring compressors. The springs are virtually under no load whatsoever. It saved us a few hours and it was a breeze (provided we did this on my RWD). The following day we tackled his Q60 AWD and the front end was a PIA however we still backed the nut out with no spring compressors. Just wanted to pass along some advice that may sway your decision.

#6 ·
Weird, when I did my springs, the factory springs were under a lot of preload. And the RS-R springs has to be compressed to even get the top hat on at all. I personally would suggest to never just unscrew the top hat without compressors. That can be really dangerous. Just my .02, do with it as you will.

Reactions: damonb10
#8 ·
Look at the HKS Hipermax IV GT if RWD. It's a fantastic coil over. You lose your DDS control though as with most all coilovers.

#18 ·
I've been eyeing that as well, I'm stuck between BC BR with Swift or HKS Hiperman GT.

I ran Tein Flex Z on my BRZ which were very comfortable, but I wanna try something a little different.

#10 ·
I used to sell in the aftermarket arena. I can tell you that Swift springs are nice, softer ride.

BC Coilovers are the same as HKS, Greddy, Megan Racing, GodSpeed, Tein, and Stance and handful of others. Literally they come from the same factory and are just painted different colors at the end. I think they are all from Taiwan. The only ones that are made independently are Cusco and they are made in Japan.

The only advantage of coilovers for an inch drop is ease of installation, but you lose A LOT of adjustability from the ECU (all your suspension modes become pointless). You can get a decent spring compressor for $30 on Amazon and just go with drop springs, and that way you keep all your adjustable suspension. Plus, all the coilovers I mentioned above...they really arent that good. They gum up real bad after a couple years. Unless you buy a bunch of needle bearings, they start grinding badly. They rust, they blow out, just lots of problems. Not OEM build quality whatsoever. The Cusco ones are fantastic though, much better quality.

tl;dr: buy Cusco or just lowering springs, don't by Taiwanese coilovers.

#12 ·
I believe that is correct. This gentlemen has a video explaining the suspension system, which I found interesting. I can't speak to its accuracy, but it seemed legit to me.

Reactions: q50adix
#14 ·
“Coilover” is a loose term.
Yes, technically, any shock/strut that has the coil “over” the body is a coilover design.

It’s like “sway bars”. People say that all the time but they are not called sway bars actually. They are anti-sway bars.

But,
This is not what people are talking about when they use the term.

People are talking about a threaded body ride hight/ spring preload & hight adjustable design that usually also have some compression and rebound adjustability as well.

#17 ·
I've posted that YouTube link b4. Then go to the Monroe link about our suspension and see all the cars it's on.
Good info.

#27 ·
Our stock suspension is Monroe's adaptive system used on many high end cars.

#31 ·
Hi
So I don't even own a Q50
Im in the process of buying a new car since i wrote my 235i off
I have it down to the Q50 or an is350
Anyway I was doing research on availability of aftermarket parts when I came across this thread and I signed up just so I post this
DON'T DO IT
I had BC coilovers on a car I had years ago and it was the worst mistake I ever made
The ride is horrible
The quality was even worse
The passenger side rear one broke around the bottom bolt which caused it to come off and fully extend into my rim (while on the highway) so you can only imagine what kind of mess and damage that did. This was after about 15,000kms.
Both tabs that connect the anti sway links on the front ones broke at 20,000 and 25,000 km respectively
I didnt have the car that low.
In fact I only put them in because I liked that aggressive look of the front being a little lower than the back but with all the stereo equipment the back it started to sag a bit with just eibach sportlines.
Should have just put the stock springs back in

So I can't stress enough how much i regret putting them in
Hope this helps

#33 ·
No expert here either, but my experiences with drop springs on multiple other cars have always been positive when buying a quality product.
I've had drop springs on stock struts; I've had drop springs on Koni's and Koni inserts on stock strut bodies. (Cut-a-struts)
As far as the issue of premature wear on the stock shocks/struts, I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of drop one is going for.
I've always stayed what I consider to be a mild to moderate drop amount on stock shocks/struts, and I've had no premature wear issues.
You want to slam it on drop springs? Yep, your stock struts won't be long for this world, as they weren't designed for that much reduced travel.

I can't speak directly to the quality of ANY coilovers, BC or otherwise, as I've never had them on any vehicle I've owned.
I DO know quite a few people with them, and have driven their cars. Without exception, the ride quality and longevity are not there.
Not for me, but your experience may differ.

I have RSR "Downs" in a box in the trunk waiting to go on. Hopefully no saggy azz for me. We shall see.

#34 ·
I just installed RSR Downs on my 2015 Premium AWD with 51k miles and it's hella bouncy now. I'm not OK with this. Looking in here for info on the BC coils and I'm just more confused now. I don't know how/why so many say they are fine with RSR Downs on their stock shocks, or how everyone seems to be OK with their BCs and then this thread is pointing out so many issues with coils.

Hoping to find some clarification because if the BCs are a real solution, I will pull the trigger, but I'm inches away from going back to stock setup out of frustration.

#36 ·
Just like OEM. The OEM spring and dampers are designed to work together. shorter stiffer springs no longer use the damper at the height it was designed.

At least with a coilover they are designed to work together.

Reactions: Avedis53
#44 ·
Thanks!

#46 ·
Excellent! These almost look like the HKS's I've been waiting for on the AWD.

Still no word on the KW DDC coil overs yet. Sooooo a looking for a good coilover AWD solution. How's the longevity and turnaround for rebuild/refreshing the RSR's? Salt resistance?
I just want +10% front and +5% over stock for spring rate. And minimal lowering around .5" to .75".

#47 ·
Short answer on the KW is that I can only order a custom set/sets through their racing development. And, those will not be made to work with DDS.

With the adjustability I just gained by the extenders and having dialed in my rebound, I am content. Now, if a KW kit comes out, I am all over it, but my quest for them to build X number of sets is dead in the water.

They probably hold up as well as any other coilover. I had a ball joint give out on Ohlins Road and Track at just shy of 20,000 miles, so you never know.

Get the RSR with extenders, and keep an eye on your camber. My springs settled quite a bit over time. I was up to a -2.8 from a -2.2. I ended up eating a lot of tire. I am now at a -1.8 (over a month...can't remember exact time) and will probably get it on the rack again just to be sure.

Reactions: JohnInNH
#50 ·
RSR coilvoers here.

I have my fronts set at 2 from full hard and rears at 6 from full hard. I may go stiffer in the front, but I'm still getting used to it.

Remember, there are maybe 20 something clicks, so I am running them at their higher end. I'll see how long they last, but I've been on them for about a year and 17,000 IIRC.

#52 ·
That's too soft for me, but that is why there is a lot of adjustment...all different tastes and styles of driving.

I have called them and asked if I can get a custom setup, but to no avail. I want more spring and dampening. And, as I said before, KW will have to be a custom order.

Feal is still on my possible list as a "trial" to see if it does what I want. But, it will have to wait until I get my G35 stuff in order.

#54 ·
Wow, bunch of interesting facts about these companies and products [emoji1430]

I'm putting on BC Racing DS series Coils w/DDS and Swifts all around (12kg f/8kg rear), tomorrow. Hoping I like the ride on the street and track.

Coming from just RSR downs. Definitely going to miss the DDS, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.