Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been making a few adjustments, and with the stock catback (plus the Infiniti sport pipes), I managed a 3.75

A few more tweaks and I think I can trim a tenth or two off of it. What are you guys coming up with?

Attachments

Reactions: ShadowGraph

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, 3.71 was my best, but dragy invalidated it because the slope was greater than 1%.

They're consistently 3.8 or better.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely don't need it in Florida, but I'm betting a nice tire would do well.

2WD can set up for a better brake torque launch as well. Mine is limited by the AWD module, which isn't adjustable yet.

Just pulled a 3.68 and it's valid.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I definitely don't need it in Florida, but I'm betting a nice tire would do well.

2WD can set up for a better brake torque launch as well. Mine is limited by the AWD module, which isn't adjustable yet.

Just pulled a 3.68 and it's valid.
Holy cow. And your only mods are the intake and exhaust? No ECUTEK tune or JB4?

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
Here's your answer...

https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/dynos-racing/124983-build-thread.html

I'm 437 WHP & 502 WTQ on 93 Octane. When I add the AMS HPFP and have Seb update my Ecutek tune accordingly, it should get me closer to 500 WHP.

Note: I'm still running stock Red Sport wheels and Dumflats, but that will change this spring to lightweight Vorsteiner's and Yoko Advan 105s, and that will help decrease my 0-60 time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
****, I need an AWD, lol.

I have the same issue as every other RWD - I spin up through 3rd, even on a prepped track, lol.

I've got 305s ready to mount on my car, just trying to see how bad my 19x11 will poke in the front. Hopefully in a week or two I'll take it to the track on fresh 305 MPSS and get some better times.

I'm at the point where traction control will kick in at 60mph in a straight line when I punch it (even in Sport+ with VDC button off, lol)

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's full bolt on (minus the catback section) on E85. Full weight with a baby seat in the back and a gym bag in the trunk.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Seeing stuff like this makes me wish I got AWD. I'm Intake/LDP on ECUTek and it's very tough to grab traction. I went with RWD because I didn't think the car made enough power to constantly have traction issues.

Are you on full E?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Any trips to the drag strip to compare against the dragy? You can convert your 60ft and 330ft times to a 0 to 60 and see how accurate dragy is against the timing box.

·
Registered
255 Posts

I came from the Audi Quattro world and I used to hear this a lot. Its not 4WD, its AWD. Does it not rain in Florida? (Ive been there, boy does it). Its not just for snow. Its for rain, standing water, carving corners etc...

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
4x4 is deceiving. With 2 open differentials it's one wheel in the front and one in the rear. Spinning both of the wheels with the least amount of traction. UNLESS you have a LSD of some sort in the differentials. Usually it's just in the rear. So at the most its 3 wheel drive.

If you have lockers front and rear it's really 4 wheel drive, but then you can't corner on pavement and it's kinda difficult in even medium traction situations.
I have a Eaton E-locker (button activated and must be at a dead stop when engaging it) in the front and a TracRite GT in the rear in my truck giving me at the least 3 wheel drive.

The rear is a multiplier. So zero traction on one wheel = zero shift to the other side. When ice is on one side of a hill w/o my locker engaged. I will actually go backwards down hill even though I have 2 wheels on dry pavement. Hence the addition of the e-locker in the front. That's usually enough to pull me to a point my rear wheel will get enough traction to shift torque to the other side giving me torque to both rear wheels.

AWD comes in various types. Our Q's have 2 open differentials using brake torque vectoring (intellegent AWD). This works fairly well.

Then you have the front to rear axle split making it even more complex.

At the most our Q's will get 50% of the torque to the front axle.

The military Hummer, IIRC, can supply 100% torque to one wheel if the other 3 have zero traction.

Often AWD is not all wheels getting power. "AWD" a selling point and not really all wheel drive at the same time when you need it the most.

Rarely will sales people even know how their 4x4 or AWD systems work.

Even LSD's have many configurations. Viscous, helical, clutch (needing friction additives) etc.

With "intelligent" AWD, on glare ice, will all 4 brakes be applied equally giving you virtually no power to the wheels?

Food for thought ?

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
255 Posts
With "intelligent" AWD, on glare ice, will all 4 brakes be applied equally giving you virtually no power to the wheels?

Food for thought ?

Yes, my dad has a Cadillac, and a sloped driveway. He can sit there when it snows, with his AWD and not make it up his driveway. the AWD light kicks on in the dash, you can feel all 4 brakes lock up (to prevent the spinning) and he goes absolutely nowhere. Its ridiculous

·
Super Moderator
3,655 Posts
Yes, my dad has a Cadillac, and a sloped driveway. He can sit there when it snows, with his AWD and not make it up his driveway. the AWD light kicks on in the dash, you can feel all 4 brakes lock up (to prevent the spinning) and he goes absolutely nowhere. Its ridiculous
Many winters ago - my '03 Audi A4 Quattro w/mechanical AWD and Blizzak snows was on a blacktop driveway with a 30-35 degree incline (hill). The driveway wasn't plowed, and it had 3-4" of snow on it. For s**ts & giggles, I attempted to go up the driveway as is - no bueno, even with some momentum from starting on the flat portion. My friend tried, too, and I watched from the side as the front wheels would spin (up), the rear wheels would "index" a few degrees repeatedly in an attempt to inch the car forward. With that failed experiment, we brought out the shovels and cleared out a path for the tires to follow. As a result, success!

Point is - I found out firsthand how Audi's Quattro system responded when the front tires lost traction.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The first gen quattro is still the best by far. I brought my Turbo coupe to my dads house when we had about 2.5 FEET of snow. Started up the same driveway, turned left onto his lawn pointing uphill.. and stopped the car. He was convinced that was it, its there till spring. Nope, put it in 1st, proceeded up the hill, turned around and came back down. Any car that uses brakes to help you go forward sucks in my opinion. The first gen quattro was so amazing.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,900 Posts
This is one reason I put the Z1 LSD in my AWD Q50. I believe this way with TC off I will get 2 rear and one front turning. TC on I may get all 4 to spin some what as it will brake torque vector in the front as the front axle gets power after the rear slips 5%.
IIRC under a certain low speed in snow mode front and rear axles are engaged.
It snowed 3-4" last night. I may take it out on my steep driveway to test it. I'll play with TC on and off, and snow mode vs std mode. There is no sand or salt on my driveway.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.