Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
It's a BMS kit but with a psi boost switch instead of using jb4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
It's a BMS kit but with a psi boost switch instead of using jb4.
So with hobbs switch you are on off methanol correct ie not using a progressive part of it correct? Any problems with using it the way you have setup? What concentration 100% methanol??? How cooler is are your IATs/CAT's with methanol on vs off? Do you have any other cooling mods like HE or tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
It's a BMS kit but with a psi boost switch instead of using jb4.
So with hobbs switch you are on off methanol correct ie not using a progressive part of it correct? Any problems with using it the way you have setup? What concentration 100% methanol??? How cooler is are your IATs/CAT's with methanol on vs off? Do you have any other cooling mods like HE or tank?
It's a snow switch on/off set at 10 psi, non progressive. 50% methanol. No issues at all, no other cooling mods. Intake air temps depend on day 70-100 degrees, cact is like 80-115 also depending on weather.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mhjac

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Thanks for the info! I don't understand why more people aren't running this!!! Because it will cut down intake temps and workload on intercooler system probably enough so that only an upgraded HE like FB or BMS is enough. Also another benefit is on DI intake valve cleaning great to here you are having success! Another positive is that it cuts down workload on fuel system especially if you use 100% methanol on top end of rpm range when the high pressure pump is at max. I believe that's why jb4 guys running 30% E mixes aren't blowing up there motors(just a theory no proof).
 

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
Joined
·
855 Posts
Thanks for the info! I don't understand why more people aren't running this!!! ..... I believe that's why jb4 guys running 30% E mixes aren't blowing up there motors(just a theory no proof).
I couldn’t agree more. The BMS WMI kit has been a game changer for my car. I was running an E30’ish mix with my JB4 (Map7) and getting away with it now that I look back. Map8 with the WMI kit is an entirely different driving and logging experience - fuel trims not maxed out, low-mid 12 AFR’s, IGN numbers typically in the high single digits at WOT, IAT numbers that actually drop at WOT, the list goes on.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Thanks for the info! I don't understand why more people aren't running this!!! Because it will cut down intake temps and workload on intercooler system probably enough so that only an upgraded HE like FB or BMS is enough. Also another benefit is on DI intake valve cleaning great to here you are having success! Another positive is that it cuts down workload on fuel system especially if you use 100% methanol on top end of rpm range when the high pressure pump is at max. I believe that's why jb4 guys running 30% E mixes aren't blowing up there motors(just a theory no proof).
Installation and no tuners advertising supporting it is my guess of why meth isn't widespread as ethanol. I spoke with Brandon and he prefers to tune a meth car in person over remote tune. I'm going to speak with AMS about my car because I'd much rather run a meth kit than do the whole dance with ethanol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Installation and no tuners advertising supporting it is my guess of why meth isn't widespread as ethanol. I spoke with Brandon and he prefers to tune a meth car in person over remote tune. I'm going to speak with AMS about my car because I'd much rather run a meth kit than do the whole dance with ethanol.
AMS has a kit coming soon I totally agree with you and ethanol pay $2100 for v1 pump and fuel it kit and still deal with high CAT's or spend $500-750 for a quality ecu integrated with fail safe meth system and $200 for tune revision then get cooler CAT's, higher octane pump gas plus cleaning of intake system, valves in addition to more fueling makes way more sense for non built setups. Then when you want more get ethanol, turbos, built motor etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Been preaching the benefits of the BMS meth kit for awhile. Many seem too concerned about the install, but many have their parts installed by a shop anyways so its a moot point. Using the factory washer fluid reservoir like I have in my install thread keeps from running lines and a tank/pump into the trunk too.
 

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
Joined
·
933 Posts
Been preaching the benefits of the BMS meth kit for awhile. Many seem too concerned about the install, but many have their parts installed by a shop anyways so its a moot point. Using the factory washer fluid reservoir like I have in my install thread keeps from running lines and a tank/pump into the trunk too.
So you no longer have washer fluid? And as long as there's meth in the tank, no warning light?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
So you no longer have washer fluid? And as long as there's meth in the tank, no warning light?
I'm still using -20*F WWF in the stock tank. This is ~30% meth. You can always add a bottle of HEET if you want to boost the methanol content. The majority of the remaining 70% is water and a water/meth combo can be more of a benefit than straight meth on a setup that is sensitive to high intake temps....exactly what happens on this platform when you try to run high boost on a small turbo and generate a bunch of heat.
 

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Joined
·
15,871 Posts
I'm still using -20*F WWF in the stock tank. This is ~30% meth. You can always add a bottle of HEET if you want to boost the methanol content. The majority of the remaining 70% is water and a water/meth combo can be more of a benefit than straight meth on a setup that is sensitive to high intake temps....exactly what happens on this platform when you try to run high boost on a small turbo and generate a bunch of heat.
At higher concentrations MEOH is rated unsatisfactory when exposed to Nitrile, Polyacrylate, Viton, and Polyurethane types of rubber. It can degrade O-rings or elastomers of those compositions rapidly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
At higher concentrations MEOH is rated unsatisfactory when exposed to Nitrile, Polyacrylate, Viton, and Polyurethane types of rubber. It can degrade O-rings or elastomers of those compositions rapidly.
Which is 1 of several reasons why I don't run higher E content fuel. With the higher E content in the fuel system its "always there" sitting in your fuel lines and degrading stuff. With the windshield washer fluid: A) the system used to inject the fluid is rated for it, and B) it only enters the engine at WOT where it is vaporized almost instantly. Making the "degrading" possibility negligible.
 

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Joined
·
15,871 Posts
Which is 1 of several reasons why I don't run higher E content fuel. With the higher E content in the fuel system its "always there" sitting in your fuel lines and degrading stuff. With the windshield washer fluid: A) the system used to inject the fluid is rated for it, and B) it only enters the engine at WOT where it is vaporized almost instantly. Making the "degrading" possibility negligible.
At windshield wiper fluid concentrations of MEOH, I would agree. If you add enough HEET (99% MEOH) to the reservoir, then the potential for rubber degradation goes up rapidly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
At windshield wiper fluid concentrations of MEOH, I would agree. If you add enough HEET (99% MEOH) to the reservoir, then the potential for rubber degradation goes up rapidly.
Yup yup!
 

·
Registered
2019 Q50 Signature Edition
Joined
·
933 Posts
New PR achieved last night.. boost szn
 

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
Joined
·
686 Posts
I can't get mine to hook much at all through 2nd gear when I try to launch my RWD. Good job getting yours down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
I can't get mine to hook much at all through 2nd gear when I try to launch my RWD. Good job getting yours down.
Are you just flooring it from a stop?
 

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Joined
·
15,871 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Brake boosting perhaps?
Can't really do that with a stock tune as the car will throttle cut even with traction control disabled.
 

·
Registered
Spartanburg, SC 2016 RS Q50
Joined
·
686 Posts
Break boosting and throttle feathering to keep from getting too loose.
 
101 - 120 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top