Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost everyone in the forum seems to live where the weather is hot all year long. I m in canda and there is few months with snow.

I really like the infiniti 19'' wheels, but the price for run flat winter tires is awfull.

450$ per tire plus installation plus taxes.

Is there any solution for example buying some cheap rims with a 17 inches size tire ?. Of course i need to put tire pressure monitor system wich add to the cost

Non run flat winter tires are 100$ less per tire in 19''. But could i find a small spare tires that will fit, in case of flat tire ?

Non run flat winter tires are around 200$ per tires in 17''

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in Calgary, Alberta and I just finished dealing with the winter tire dilemma since we had a bad case of freezing rain and the temperature dropped to -20C overnight and it was not fun sliding through stop signs.

I always went with the smallest size when it comes to winter(more force pushing down because of smaller surface area, correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway I was able to find some cheap 17" winter wheels almost everywhere even Kal-Tire. It's when you go up to 18" inch wheels its a problem, I found that not a lot of 18" wheels could accommodate the brakes on the sport model.

Anyway I ended up getting quotes of around $2000ish for 17" wheels and x-ice 3's with install and tpms before I realized I wasted my time and just got pissed off and went to the dealership and paid $2625 for 18" infiniti oem wheels and michelin x-ice 3's. I love the quieter ride now, I don't like Run Flats.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Just get a good tire repair kit and put it in the trunk. My plan is to go with winter non-RFT's on the stock 17" wheels on mine. No, it doesn't snow where I live, but I drive to Tahoe all the time.

You also have roadside assistance for 4 years.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
There have been several threads in this forum already about winter tires/wheels and you should probably search to find appropriate answers to your questions. You haven't said where you live in Canada or what model of Q50 you have. It makes a difference. It it helps, I have a Q50S AWD and live in Edmonton. I went through this issue in October and discovered that 17" rims will NOT clear the big brakes on the S model. I went with an 18x8" Core Racing "Kobe" from Kal Tire (see kaltire.com) with 245/45-18 Nokian Hakkapelita R2 snow tires. No aftermarket TPMS yet for Q50 so they let me away with not buying the stealership's $108 (each) sensors. I do not mind the yellow TPMS warning light on the gauge but some may differ. All in price was a little over $2K. The car rides better, has a bit of tread whine and goes like **** on the ice and snow we've already had in Edmonton. No clearance issues as the stock over all diameter is maintained with this package. Hope this helps. I have posted pics of this elsewhere on this site. If you need more, pm me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you. i live in montreal. i don t have a Q50 yet. i have an acura tl shawd 2012, end of my lease in 2 months.

usually i keep my car 3 years or less, i don t excess the basic mileage. i always put my winter tires on original rims.

but those 19 inch run flat tires are very expensives.

soemone mention a repair kit. do you mean with a can with a kind of sealing chemical ? i don t know if it works well in cold temperature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put michelin x-ice3 245/40/19's on the factory rims, about $1400 installed. Instead of buying winter rims I will put this money towards nicer rims next spring.
These ride substantially better than the run flats, and handle quite well for a winter tire. They also have a 60k km warranty.
I will give more feedback once we get some sloppy weather.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I've fixed tires with a can of fix-a-flat in NH and had it last months/years. It's pretty cold there too. The only thing I'd worry about with that stuff would be how it might effect the TPMS.

I was thinking of a repair kit and a small compressor. I've done lots of tire repairs myself with a small repair kit and those last seemingly forever.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've fixed tires with a can of fix-a-flat in NH and had it last months/years. It's pretty cold there too. The only thing I'd worry about with that stuff would be how it might effect the TPMS.

I was thinking of a repair kit and a small compressor. I've done lots of tire repairs myself with a small repair kit and those last seemingly forever.

It says ''tire sensor safe''

·
Registered
46 Posts
thank you.

but those 19 inch run flat tires are very expensive.
Don't buy winter run flats! Buy regular tires! How many flats have you ever had! For me it isn't enough to worry about it. I'll call roadside assistance and tell them to come fix it! (I do have a spare :D) If you're worried about it, get a small, cheap 12v compressor from Canadian tire and it will get you out of a bind with a small leak.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
im in vancouver, i dont know how much it snows over there but im sure as **** not putting winters on my car. theres no need where i am

·
Registered
46 Posts
The winter weather in Vancouver is what it is like here in October and November, maybe cold, mostly wet, maybe flurries. In southern Ontario we can get half an inch of ice followed by 6 inches of snow (or the opposite :eek:). You can drive to work in the morning on dry roads, and have a 2 foot drift piled against your car before you leave at night. It's a crap shoot, and constantly changes, but when it's bad, good snow tires get you home at night, lesser tires get you in trouble. For me it's a clear choice, if I was out west, maybe not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quick question: I have a 2014 Q50 Premium AWD. It has the standard 17" run flats (Dunlop Potenzas). I am thinking that 19" tires would add a more aggressive stance to the car (with the right wheels - still looking). What would you recommend? I want to avoid rubbing, and I want to know whether the "gap" in the wheel wells can be diminished at the same time. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Almost everyone in the forum seems to live where the weather is hot all year long. I m in canda and there is few months with snow.

I really like the infiniti 19'' wheels, but the price for run flat winter tires is awfull.

450$ per tire plus installation plus taxes.

Is there any solution for example buying some cheap rims with a 17 inches size tire ?. Of course i need to put tire pressure monitor system wich add to the cost

Non run flat winter tires are 100$ less per tire in 19''. But could i find a small spare tires that will fit, in case of flat tire ?

Non run flat winter tires are around 200$ per tires in 17''
Suggestion:

>:D

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
wintermute, there are dozens of threads on 19" and 20" wheel/tire combinations on the forum. Also on springs/struts for lowering the car if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I think that is the normal means of transportation in Ottawa for most of the year.;)

Attachments

Reactions: CrunchyDoodle
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.