Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
200 mile round trip to visit my Mom. The 100 northbound miles were all on back roads, through rural southeast PA. Experimented with different steering settings. Settled on standard. Handling and road feel were superb. Shifted to manual for engine braking, but don't like the paddles. Guess I'm too used with shifting with the right. Anyway, slapping the stick to the left, then up and down is intuitive. Not so with the paddles, as one has to learn which does what.

Returned home via Interstates, occasionally airing it out. This is one great car, comfortable on most kinds of roads, always feeling solid and in control. It's not upset by ruts (unlike Bimmers with 1st gen run flats), and always ready to fly.

The Bose stereo is excellent. Navi flawless. Tint cool, and got a little over 30, very satisfactory, mpg for the trip. It was great fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Something I found recently, you can leave the shift lever in auto and use the paddles to downshift. I find this very useful merging onto the highway. After about 30 seconds it reverts to auto with no action required from you.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Something I found recently, you can leave the shift lever in auto and use the paddles to downshift. I find this very useful merging onto the highway. After about 30 seconds it reverts to auto with no action required from you.
Yep, this feature will also be useful for our northern members once we get snow. That, and the seats are the only reasons I kinda want the sport model. Temp downshifting when descending a hill in the snow is a great way to control speed without brakes.

Reactions: jkay

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Yep, this feature will also be useful for our northern members once we get snow. That, and the seats are the only reasons I kinda want the sport model. Temp downshifting when descending a hill in the snow is a great way to control speed without brakes.
I end up using the engine braking with the paddles in snow more than the brakes.

Lots of hills around here - and a good amount of snow.

I also took a longer trip - first time with the Q. No issues with lockups or nav problems. Have not gotten any updates yet.

Very comfortable for the longer drive, love the sport seats.

Th only thing I have to test out is the active lane assist. I felt like a I was fighting the steering in some cases. It was night time and foggy so that may have been an issue. Plus, a lot of construction and lines right up to concrete blockades so I didn't want to let the car get even close to the line so I found myself correcting a lot.

Anyone have a suggestion for the active lane assist? I'm not even sure what the high/low settings mean. I also found the car did not track well or even beep for the lane departure warning on smooth curves. Again, may have been the fog?

Sorry to hijack the post but figured I would throw in a big thumbs up for my firsts long drive as well.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
For lane assist:

First, go to Settings -> Meter -> Main menu selection and turn on "Chassis Control". Set your meter display to show the chassis control half-pipe. You'll know when the car is reading lane markings because the grid lines will glow blue. This is the only way I've seen to be aware of whether the car is reading the lanes. IMO, Infiniti should update the software so the top of the meter display has some way to indicate whether the car is reading lanes (like it does with the little car up there that tells you it sees the car in front of you).

Second, experiment with the the high/low setting. In general, I recommend that people start with the low setting then see if they want to switch to high after they're more used to the feeling of letting the car steer itself. From what I can tell, "high" tends to have tighter tolerance - keeping you more in the center of the lane. But it also fights you a bit more if you tend to correct the steering. Low will let the car wander just a little within the lane, but doesn't lead to the weaving effect if you're fighting it.

And remember, once the car is reading lanes and active lane control is working, you can just hold the steering wheel steady and neutral. The car will steer itself around small curves. You don't need to do any steering. I don't advocate letting go of the steering wheel, for safety reasons, but try holding it completely straight and watch what happens. I'd also like to be able to set a soft beep for when lane control loses sight of the lane markings, but at least if you have Chassis Control visible, you can see it.

As long as we're hijacking this post. Are you going with the stock tires for this winter? I'll be interested to hear how well they handle in the snow. I'm not planning to get the S model, but will get AWD. As I've posted elsewhere, my plan is to have snows on the stock wheels and put the stock RFT's back on during the summer. I'm really skeptical of what snow traction is going to be on the stock tires. My part time job is teaching skiing. So even though I live where it never, ever snows, I drive to the snow every weekend all winter (and ski season here lasts 6 months).

Reactions: maddsiick and jkay

·
Registered
59 Posts
It must have been the weekend for long trips in SE PA this weekend! I also took The Mistress out for a long trip. We drove from PA to our daughter in VA, about 174 miles each way, all Interstate driving. Premium AWD gasser in Sport mode averaged 26.1 mpg, no complaints with that.

It was a very comfortable 2.5hrs in the car. My wife kept saying "Why is everyone driving so slow in the passing lane?" She was shocked when I finally told her that we had been cruising at a steady 90mph... the car was so steady, smooth, and quiet.

As far as Active Lane Assist, what I have found is the heavier steering in Sport mode helps to reduce some of the fighting. The other steering modes are a more sensitive and make it easy for me to inadvertently fight against the car's corrections.

I plan on trying out the stock RFT's this winter. Fortunately, I do not have a long commute, so I am not overly concerned if they turn out to be atrocious. I am sure I have driven with worse in my day. If they suck, as I anticipate, I will swap them out then.

On a final note, now that I am through my break in miles, I decided to open her up a bit earlier in the week. I hit 130mph and could tell she had plenty more left in her! I am having so much fun with this car!

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!! Had it set on low for the return trip during mostly daylight hours and felt a lot less of the steering issue.

I too work close to home and my wife has an SUV that I will use in snow so I will probably keep the run flats on for a bit to see how it goes. I don't really want to store them in my garage for 3+ years if I switch to another non run flat but I'm sure I'll need new sneakers before my lease is up so I may just do that.

Hopefully no snow for a while but it will be good to get reports and share stories once we do.

Thanks again for the info on the chassis control - that should be a big help. I also have to try to just hold the wheel straight. Didn't even think that would be possible!?! I am enjoying learning more about the Q every day though. It really is a comfortable and powerful ride.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
For lane assist:

First, go to Settings -> Meter -> Main menu selection and turn on "Chassis Control". Set your meter display to show the chassis control half-pipe. You'll know when the car is reading lane markings because the grid lines will glow blue. This is the only way I've seen to be aware of whether the car is reading the lanes. IMO, Infiniti should update the software so the top of the meter display has some way to indicate whether the car is reading lanes (like it does with the little car up there that tells you it sees the car in front of you).
I agree with this. I'd like to see a little more interaction with the display when certain features are active while driving. I noticed today that when I was driving, the 4 wheels of the car, while viewing the Chassis Control, would turn blue. I'm guessing this is indicating that the AWD system kicked in and it wasn't in rear wheel mode? It was a bit cold outside today (loved the automatic steering wheel heater :D), I'm guessing the tires weren't gripping as well as they usually do so the AWD system was kicking in more? Or I could be completely wrong and the 4 wheels lighting up in blue means something else.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Shifted to manual for engine braking, but don't like the paddles. Guess I'm too used with shifting with the right. Anyway, slapping the stick to the left, then up and down is intuitive. Not so with the paddles, as one has to learn which does what. =
Wow.

I don't know how you managed that but you found a way to make paddle shifters sound way more complicated that they need to. :p

I think the paddles are just as intuitive as the shifter but it's another thing to say that it's just a personal preference to use the shifter instead.

For me, I use both but for different situations. I like the paddles mostly when I want to downshift for changing lanes, making turns, or when I want to be in full control of the car (helps in having both hands on the wheels longer). I use the shifter usually when I'm doing straight-line acceleration or launching. :cool:

One can definitely learn to use either or in different situations. It kinda takes a while if you're not used to it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
For me, I use both but for different situations. I like the paddles mostly when I want to downshift for changing lanes, making turns, or when I want to be in full control of the car (helps in having both hands on the wheels longer). I use the shifter usually when I'm doing straight-line acceleration or launching. :cool:
Exactly the same situations when I use the paddles vs the shifter. :D

Reactions: SimpsonTide985
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.