• Why Hybrid? Go for the 3.7L!

Votes: 1 9.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I live in Detroit and currently drive a G37X that I leased back in 2011. My lease will expire soon and I've been keeping an eye on the Q50. I love the design, but I'm a little skeptical about some of the poor reviews I've seen on the ride and handling (i.e direct adaptive steering). I've found my way to this forum to dig through all of the great feedback that will ultimately help me make my decision. I'm most likely going to choose the hybrid sport package but I'm torn right now between AWD and RWD. I got the X so I could be more safety conscious during Michigan winters, but lets be honest, the G37X isn't a stellar vehicle on ice and snow regardless of AWD, and I've felt like AWD takes away some of the "fun factor" of owning this vehicle.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from this group and contributing if/when I pick up a new Q50!

P.S. I've added a poll to get some preliminary feedback :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
There is a really good post on here about how the Q50 handles in the snow.

From what I've seen so far on the forum, for every person that doesn't like something, someone else likes it.

DAS is a perfect example. Many don't like it at all, while others (myself included) love it for the flexibility it offers.

Obviously, I'm a big fan - plenty of naysayers on here as well. My suggestion is you test drive every model (including the sport).

BTW - RWD models were really hard to find in VA because that is all the dealers were ordering. I would guess if they were hard to find this far south, you'll have a lot more difficult time.

Found the review: http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/ne...ussion-forum/16401-winter-driving-review.html

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
If you go AWD, just go all the way and replace the RFTs with some reasonable snow tires in the winter and you should be ok (at least a lot better than without them)

If I lived in Michigan, I definitely wouldn't want to NOT have AWD unless I had a backup vehicle. That's just the thing you have to deal with when living in the midwest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone comment on the AWD impact on "fun factor" based on test drives of both the RWD and AWD? Although I live in MI, I'm only a few miles from my office and we've got an AWD Grand Cherokee that I will drive if weather conditions are bad, so I'm more concerned about the good weather driving experience :cool:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Can anyone comment on the AWD impact on "fun factor" based on test drives of both the RWD and AWD? Although I live in MI, I'm only a few miles from my office and we've got an AWD Grand Cherokee that I will drive if weather conditions are bad, so I'm more concerned about the good weather driving experience :cool:
I've taken mine through many Pennsylvania back roads. It handles very well, even with AWD. If my former BMW 330i Sport Package was an 8, then the Q50 is a 7.5.

·
Registered
585 Posts
..."fun factor"
I've taken mine through many Pennsylvania back roads. It handles very well, even with AWD. If my former BMW 330i Sport Package was an 8, then the Q50 is a 7.5.
I concur with Klamalama. Notice that we both have the Hybrid sport. As I said above, I would highly recommend that you test drive the sport as well. The paddle shifters definitely add to the fun. For me, the sports seats were far more comfortable than the non-sports (some people don't like them as much, but you won't know what works for you until you sit in them).

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Q50S Hybrid AWD is decent in the snow and great on ice. When it comes to winter driving, a lot comes down to the tires you choose to put on the car.

In terms of performance driving....The Q50 are more luxury rides tuned with a little bit sport in them. Although they have paddle shifters, I find them a bit slow to react (compared to my '09 GT-R). The DAS is great for long road trips as it really makes the driving easy.

For me, the Q50S AWD Hybrid is a very good all around car, its quick, smooth, does everything well (just not great at anything other than fuel economy for a AWD car with 300+hp). Also it doesn't have any real glaring weaknesses mechanically.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Had a g37xS and it did Not do so well in the snow. Slid a lot and I never felt any sense of confidence.

Q50S AWD performed great in the snow(a few inches, mixed precipitation, a bit of ice - went through it all no problem).I really felt confident in the Q - even with the run flats, which surprised me.

So Michigan = AWD in my book for sure. My wife has an SUV and I always drove that in any snow but I don't feel that will be necessary wit how well the Q seems to handle inclement weather.

The Q does have a few differences in comparison to the G:
Not so great: the boot up time to be able to use audio, etc. - not a huge deal once you are used to it but it can be a pain at times. Will probably be fixed some time in the future but something to be aware of. Also, some people without the tech package, the grid lines don't seem to appear on the backup camera until the system boots. Again, not deal breakers but something to be aware of. Let's face it, Infiniti didn't do a great job on the release of the in-touch system. If you've been monitoring this forum like you said then I'm sure you are well aware if these things.

The good:
Well, let's just say I don't regret my purchase at all. This car is a real step up from the G in terms of interior and luxury feel. However, when you need the power and handling you don't have to dig too deep to find it. Even with the AWD. I think they nailed the balance and got rid of the harshness of the G.

DAS: I like it. In 2 of my test drives, I hated it. The salespeople set it to sport mode to show off the heavy/quick response and I cut a few corners way too close and the feedback over super bumpy, pothole ridden roads was an odd sensation. Once I set to std/std and got used to the road feedback (or lack of bad road feedback) I love the DAS. Of course, I haven't had any of the lock-ups that others have had and it's great to change things up on longer trips and different road types - like the twisters. Just don't judge it by a short test drive at the dealership. Se if you can get an overnight test.

There are so many things I like about the car but there are plenty of other posts so I figured I'd try to be objective about the items you asked about.

Get that overnight test drive on a Q50s AWD with tech and then take it out on the roads you normally drive on and some you like to drive on and make that decision for yourself.

Good luck!

Reactions: SimpsonTide985

·
Registered
33 Posts
Heh, I know you did not just compare the Q50 to a $100k car... :p :confused: :eek::rolleyes:
I compared it to a $80K car which is 5 yrs old. So much changes technology wise in that time that you expect certain things to filter down. For example, I think the LCD screen quality on the Q50 is significantly better than the 2009 GTR. What I don't understand however is that both cars are built on the same assembly line and Nissan chose different size key fobs for both cars (the difference is so small, that most won't notice). Not sure why they would not get all common parts. I'm sure the purchasing guy at Infiniti is not talking to his Nissan counterpart...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.