Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I test drove a 2010 Maxima and I wasn't a fan of it. With it being FWD, it felt very front heavy to me. I wasn't a fan of the CVT transmission and the interior leaves a lot to be desired.

From the outside, the car looks great though..

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Since they're both Nissan products, I can't say it is apples vs. oranges. But definitely oranges vs. grapefruit - or something like that.

FWD/RWD, Long warranty/short warranty, loaner cars/no loaners, infiniti connection/nothing...the list is too long.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
276 Posts
I currently drive a 2012 Maxima and must say I love it. But there are things I don't like, like the CVT. The maxima overall is a bigger car and the room in the back trumps the room in the back of my FX35! It's a great car just wish it had the 7 Speed. The panoramic moonroof is a cool feature too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It might be a total redesign since the 6th gen (2004-2008) lasted 5 years. I would have waited but my 04 Max was showing signs of a blown head gasket. Yeah, I think I traded it in with a blown head gasket, they didn't even notice LOL...

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Um, anyone will know a blown head gasket immediately. If it's really blown, you'll be shooting steam out of the exhaust from excess coolant in the combustion chambers. It makes a very sweet cloud of fog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive got an 09 maxima and drove a 2013. They are very apples to oranges. The maxima has more room and feels bigger but still tight in coreners for a FWD. How ever handeling and ride comfort goes to the Q50. I base it on the fact that I have a Sport so may be the regular SV is softer.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Since they're both Nissan products, I can't say it is apples vs. oranges. But definitely oranges vs. grapefruit - or something like that.

FWD/RWD, Long warranty/short warranty, loaner cars/no loaners, infiniti connection/nothing...the list is too long.
+1

Different ownership experience.

Drive both and see.

If you don't notice a different then go for the Maxima.

Whatever makes you happy! There are features on the Maxima that the Q50 doesn't even have.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
+1

Different ownership experience.

Drive both and see.

If you don't notice a different then go for the Maxima.

Whatever makes you happy! There are features on the Maxima that the Q50 doesn't even have.
Having driven the latest Maxima, Altima, and comparing it to my own Infiniti...

The Maxima is basically a souped up and more aggressive Altima more or less.

As I remember, it has tighter steering than the Altima and its CVT is a bit smoother, but I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but I digress. Although the Maxima has a few more options, the G/Q50 is a very different animal altogether. Where the Maxima is much more of a premium midsize sedan, Infiniti feels more like a performance sedan, focusing more on performance and quality in general.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I remember driving a rental Maxima. I couldn't stand the CVT at all. The rest of the car was great.

I really think Nissan should dump the Altima and make the Maxima the midsize competitor to Camry and Accord like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I remember driving a rental Maxima. I couldn't stand the CVT at all. The rest of the car was great.

I really think Nissan should dump the Altima and make the Maxima the midsize competitor to Camry and Accord like it used to be.
They'll never dump the altima! It's too good a car and I'm sure they sell a ton

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The Maxima is a nice & attractive car. That's about it for me. When you drive an Infiniti, you never look back, esp not downstream to Nissan, period. At least if you're a driver that truly aspires for a premium & commanding road experience that a Nissan simply doesn't provide like it's big brother, Infiniti; and that's ok; that's the way it's supposed to be. They're in completely different segments. Nissan is a great brand for the compact-premium segments of the market, just like Infiniti is rooted in the luxury segment. But, after all, it's all about personal preference & what satisfies YOUR needs. *Disclaimer: this is my personal opinion, and if you don't agree, fine. We all have our opinions & I respect them all. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Having driven the latest Maxima, Altima, and comparing it to my own Infiniti...

The Maxima is basically a souped up and more aggressive Altima more or less.

As I remember, it has tighter steering than the Altima and its CVT is a bit smoother, but I'm still not the biggest fan of it, but I digress. Although the Maxima has a few more options, the G/Q50 is a very different animal altogether. Where the Maxima is much more of a premium midsize sedan, Infiniti feels more like a performance sedan, focusing more on performance and quality in general.
I agree.

Truthfully I do not like the idea of CVTs

I understand its great for economy/mileage but personally if I wanted good mileage I would not buy a V6 in the first place.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.